chasfh

Are the Ilitches the Right Owners For the Detroit Tigers?

Do you think the Ilitches should sell the Detroit Tigers?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Ilitches should sell the Detroit Tigers?

• Yes, I've seen enough and would prefer the Ilitches sell as soon as possible.
    • No, I like the Ilitches as owners and would like them to continue on for the foreseeable future.

43 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Which is odd because William Clay Ford Sr, sole owner of the Lions after buying out his initial partners, didnt have a meaningful position at Ford since probably before the billy sims days.  He was on the Board, that’s it.   The two things had nothing to do with each other.  Not even a smidgen. Nothing like the tigers and little Caesars even. 

The oft told conventional wisdom was that HenryII arranged for the Lions purchase by his brother to provide him a toy that would keep him out of his hair. But HenryII apparently had no problem with his nephew's business acumen.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The oft told conventional wisdom was that HenryII arranged for the Lions purchase by his brother to provide him a toy that would keep him out of his hair. But HenryII apparently had no problem with his nephew's business acumen.

Yeah. If you read Iacocca’s book he and WCF got along great but that wasn’t enough to sway II. He made him be in the room with him when he was told.   Henry II had his issues with toys , the ren cen, fairlane mall, wives... WCF played it straight and was the single largest shareholder in the company.   Although he did contribute in a big way with Mercury. 

28 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yeah. If you read Iacocca’s book he and WCF got along great but that wasn’t enough to sway II. He made him be in the room with him when he was told.   Henry II had his issues with toys , the ren cen, fairlane mall, wives... WCF played it straight and was the single largest shareholder in the company.   Although he did contribute in a big way with Mercury. 

I always wanted a '64 Parklane with the power back windshield. Almost as much a 57' Fairlane hardtop convertible. Talk about Hi-Tech!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oblong said:

Not sure that will happen.  I think there’s been a split in that family with regard to the lions. Martha and the daughter are letting the rest of the family know that it’s ok for a girl to run things.  That’s the impression I got. 

As for the Tigers.... maybe Edsel Ford. It doesn’t have to be a known quantity.  Nobody really knew who Gores was when he bought the Pistons.  

I heard about the rift. It seemed Junior was more involved in the team as I felt he was the one who turned up the pressure to fire Millen. I also believe he was instrumental in hiring Millen. Either way, I worry the least about the Lions succession of ownership. 

I think we are at a point where there won't be single owners anymore. The Tigers are probably over $1 billion and could be pushing $1.5 billion. We are looking at ownership groups at that point. Possibly former players with investors. Doesn't need to be former Tigers, just look at Jordan with the Hornets and Jeter with the Marlins. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Doesn't need to be former Tigers, just look at Jordan with the Hornets and Jeter with the Marlins. 

I don't know what Jeter's connection to the Marlins was. Maybe just that like a lot baseball players he spent a lot of time in FLA, but NC is home to Jordan. We associate him with Chicago but he grew up in NC and of course went to school at NC. Ironically if we were looking for a well healed home state ex-player to put together a group for the Tigers the likeliest candidate might have been Jeter.

48 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't know what Jeter's connection to the Marlins was. Maybe just that like a lot baseball players he spent a lot of time in FLA, but NC is home to Jordan. We associate him with Chicago but he grew up in NC and of course went to school at NC. Ironically if we were looking for a well healed home state ex-player to put together a group for the Tigers the likeliest candidate might have been Jeter.

Jeter lived in Florida. There also needs to be availability. Jeter is never going to own the Yankees. The Tigers weren't looking to be available any time soon so you buy the team that is available. I'll throw out an unorthodox candidate to buy the Tigers; Magic Johnson. He's got the connections and is proposing some development in Detroit. Why not? Mike Illitch was a minor league baseball player but still bought the Red Wings. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Jeter lived in Florida in the off-season.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jeter lived in Florida. There also needs to be availability. Jeter is never going to own the Yankees. The Tigers weren't looking to be available any time soon so you buy the team that is available. I'll throw out an unorthodox candidate to buy the Tigers; Magic Johnson. He's got the connections and is proposing some development in Detroit. Why not? Mike Illitch was a minor league baseball player but still bought the Red Wings. 

Magic is currently a part owner of the Dodgers. I suppose you might be willing to trade down part control of the Queen Mary to Captain your own Ranger III.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_III

6 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Even as a loyal Spartan I'd have to say Magic would be a disaster.

I haven't followed Johnson's post basketball career other than the occasional reference that he has done a nice job with his net worth. He hasn't come out the mess with the Lakers looking real good - but he's hardly the only one!

57 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I'm hoping for an IPO.

You’d never find an underwriter for this Titanic.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I'm hoping for an IPO.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I'm hoping for an IPO.

Pizza

Pizza

Speaking of IPO.  I saw the Packers got $280 million from the league. That’s in their filing since they are a public entity.  That’s what every NFL team gets before any ticket, parking spot, or beer is sold. Just for existing.  Salary cap is $180 million. 

I’m fine with the current Pizza owners. Everyone knew the Tigers where In for a long rebuild. 

Im not sold on Al Avila. Any Tiger fans who marginally follows the Tigers sees this as at least a 2 year rebuild (+ the rest of this season). That doesn’t mean you should be stupid enough to say it. Al should be saying it’s a long rebuild but we hope to surprise with the timetable. Say something vague. 

Only having marginal starting pitching combined with clear admittance that your not trying to field a competitive or complete team, means people are upset and don’t want to pay to watch: The scarp heap gang, marginal prospects, AAAA players and the  flaming charred remains of Miggy trying to support his 2nd family.