Jump to content

chasfh

Are the Ilitches the Right Owners For the Detroit Tigers?

Do you think the Ilitches should sell the Detroit Tigers?  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think the Ilitches should sell the Detroit Tigers?

    • Yes, I've seen enough and would prefer the Ilitches sell as soon as possible.
      11
    • No, I like the Ilitches as owners and would like them to continue on for the foreseeable future.
      5


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought I had read somewhere that Mike Trout was not interested in marketing himself? 

One of the downsides of the huge salaries. Guys used to still have the ambition to hustle for a few extra mil. It's hardly worth their time anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN did their World Fame a couple months ago and only 1 baseball player made the top 100(Harper), meanwhile two Detroit Pistons did.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Now what billionaire am I missing?

Very apt question. Crossing topics but it's the same wrt the Lions. When Martha passes I'm guessing they get sold and I haven't got a reasonable short list in mind there either. We don't have a lot of people making new fortunes in MI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Very apt question. Crossing topics but it's the same wrt the Lions. When Martha passes I'm guessing they get sold and I haven't got a reasonable short list in mind there either. We don't have a lot of people making new fortunes in MI.

I'm guessing Bill Ford Jr gets the team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counter argument is that I believe the Ilitch empire stands to gain the most (relative to other ownership groups) with high attendance at Tiger and Red Wing games, so they have the most financial incentive to field competitive teams.

EDIT: This isn't to say I think Chris will spend to field a competitive team.  Running a bare bones operation will net $$$ as well.

I could argue it either way.  I simply do not have knowledge, or have basis, to opine strongly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm guessing Bill Ford Jr gets the team.  

Yeah, I think the Lions stay in the family. Beyond having more than half a century of ownership and a stadium with their name on it, they also have a strong relationship with the NFL, and football team ownership is a handy conduit to sell cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Counter argument is that I believe the Ilitch empire stands to gain the most (relative to other ownership groups) with high attendance at Tiger and Red Wing games, so it is in their financial best interest to field competitive teams.

No kidding. And aside from it being in their financial best interest to field a competitive team, it would seem that the social approbation of other rich people should require it. I mean they have to go to cocktail parties and stuff and meet with other people and their glacial stares of resentment. Right now it should be like something out of the Scarlet Letter in addition to wearing a dunce cap.  

08262A85-052C-4264-B521-E249B4289A33.thumb.png.6dff5def4d7cff1a34ccc2676720503a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I think the Lions stay in the family. Beyond having more than half a century of ownership and a stadium with their name on it, they also have a strong relationship with the NFL, and football team ownership is a handy conduit to sell cars. 

I think that's a myth.  How many people buy a Ford car because they own the Lions?  I 'd guess they lose more customers than they gain.   I think they've kept the team because it's a great investment 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Counter argument is that I believe the Ilitch empire stands to gain the most (relative to other ownership groups) with high attendance at Tiger and Red Wing games, so they have the most financial incentive to field competitive teams.

EDIT: This isn't to say I think Chris will spend to field a competitive team.  Running a bare bones operation will net $$$ as well.

I could argue it either way.  I simply do not have knowledge, or have basis, to opine strongly.

Is that a new requirement in this sector of the interwebz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I think that's a myth.  How many people buy a Ford car because they own the Lions?  I 'd guess they lose more customers than they gain.   I think they've kept the team because it's a great investment 

 

 

I don’t think it’s a myth. I think it’s part of the marketing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I think the Lions stay in the family. Beyond having more than half a century of ownership and a stadium with their name on it, they also have a strong relationship with the NFL, and football team ownership is a handy conduit to sell cars. 

we'll wander off topic a bit more - what the hey? Other than my totally casual observations, I have no basis to believe but none the less do believe that WCFII doesn't have much interest in the Lions. The Ford family is like a herd of cats, and WCFII has no clear heir apparent as the family leader and management bridge to FoMoCo. I think that is what he sees his role in life to be and the Lions are/would be just a distraction to that. Plus the 'kids' cannot easily inherit the franchise without a bill being due, which is why Ilitch set the Tigers up as a trust. Maybe Martha is doing that but I have no info that she has and absent that, 'passing down' the franchise seems problematic.

And now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm guessing Bill Ford Jr gets the team.  

Not sure that will happen.  I think there’s been a split in that family with regard to the lions. Martha and the daughter are letting the rest of the family know that it’s ok for a girl to run things.  That’s the impression I got. 

As for the Tigers.... maybe Edsel Ford. It doesn’t have to be a known quantity.  Nobody really knew who Gores was when he bought the Pistons.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think it’s a myth. I think it’s part of the marketing. 

I'm probably an oddball but I sincerely couldn't name a person that bought a Ford vehicle because the Ford family owns the Lions.   If anything I've heard people that resented their mismanagement there and equated to FoMoCo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Younger people don’t like the game because they spend too much time tapping out messages to each other on their damn phones. Uh....

They seem to be okay with football and basketball.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

OK - the Ilitch family decides to sell.

Name the buyer that now treats the Tigers as a "civic treasure", spends money like so much confetti to rebuild the team to numerous World titles quickly thus avoiding mental scarring for the petals caused by rooting for a losing teams?

Gores? - that's a laugh.

Gilbert? - Maybe before the health scare, but even then his track record as a sports owner would be picked apart.

The DeVos or Meijer families?  - Not a chance.

Larry Page? - I'm sure he wants to leave CA and bring some of that sweet Google $$ back to MI.

Now what billionaire am I missing?

Mark Cuban. Wouldn't treat the Tigers as a civic treasure but would spend and be invested in trying to win. Of course mlb owners would likely deny him again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, leflore said:

Mark Cuban. Wouldn't treat the Tigers as a civic treasure but would spend and be invested in trying to win. Of course mlb owners would likely deny him again

Perhaps but any time attendance or TV ratings dropped would the rumors of moving the franchise start?   I guess there might be some good out of town candidates, I was thinking more local people that would check the civic treasure box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm probably an oddball but I sincerely couldn't name a person that bought a Ford vehicle because the Ford family owns the Lions.   If anything I've heard people that resented their mismanagement there and equated to FoMoCo.

Sounds like something my mom used to say: “Advertising is a waste of money. I’ve never run out and bought a car because I saw an ad for it.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Perhaps but any time attendance or TV ratings dropped would the rumors of moving the franchise start? I guess there might be some good out of town candidates, I was thinking more local people that would check the civic treasure box.

The Detroit Tigers will never move to another city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Detroit Tigers will never move to another city.

I agree, they'd change the name like Milwaukee and Atlanta for the Braves.   And you're right in my lifetime, but never is a long time and I've seen lots of "nevers" happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leflore said:

Mark Cuban. Wouldn't treat the Tigers as a civic treasure but would spend and be invested in trying to win. Of course mlb owners would likely deny him again

Well it seems like the stodgy boys club doesn't want "The Cubes" in their little gang.   They'll take criminals like Jeffrey Loria, but can't have Cuban.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm probably an oddball but I sincerely couldn't name a person that bought a Ford vehicle because the Ford family owns the Lions.   If anything I've heard people that resented their mismanagement there and equated to FoMoCo.

Which is odd because William Clay Ford Sr, sole owner of the Lions after buying out his initial partners, didnt have a meaningful position at Ford since probably before the billy sims days.  He was on the Board, that’s it.   The two things had nothing to do with each other.  Not even a smidgen. Nothing like the tigers and little Caesars even. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Which is odd because William Clay Ford Sr, sole owner of the Lions after buying out his initial partners, didnt have a meaningful position at Ford since probably before the billy sims days.  He was on the Board, that’s it.   The two things had nothing to do with each other.  Not even a smidgen. Nothing like the tigers and little Caesars even. 

Yep, even though his son was/is deeply involved he wasn't.   People tend to not pay attention though when they want to indulge their anger.   Like the people this week that were going to boycott Home Depot over Bernie Marcus - who retired in 2002.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...