TIGERHART

AA Skills as a negotiator up for debate.....who should be our next GM?

Haven't posted in years due to time constraints, but have read most forums on the Tigers when I can. OLD Tigers fan, remember the Rocky C trade and letting Bunning go for nothing. Please respond to an old fan that has a take that I'm sure has been mentioned many times prior. Apologize for the length of my post.

I'm sure most fans do not accept what AA has "accomplished" since inheriting the dumpster fire, but did the club award him for his loyalty rather than his management skills? His inability to make garbage pail acquisitions that doesn't include a year of rehab in return. And waiting out Zimmerman's millions for one more year. Yech…..Look, a fan since '57...….Love the team and just want to see us competitive before meeting my maker. But feel the family settled for a quick fix that was just reasonable instead of dynamic.    

This team obviously has a lot of baggage, but rather see us lose 120 for next 3 seasons then overspend on third rate utility players that bring nothing to the table and get 2 more cracks at the number one pick. Is AA the guy to make this work? If not who would take this franchise to another level...give AA his money and lets move on.

JMO

“Is AA the guy to make this work? If not who would take this franchise to another level...give AA his money and lets move on.”

He just got extended. He isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Moot point from here.

Two things: The family moved when Stevie Y became available, AA could be kicked upstairs and again, feel the money was reward for hanging in there. Most GM's get stale over time and get rejuvenated with a new opportunity. Just who is available is another issue, but IMO deserves another look.

yeah, nothing's going to happen any time soon.  If/when Avila goes, it will likely be some young hotshot Asst GM from a progressive team like the Astros.  

Or Jonah Hill.

1 hour ago, TIGERHART said:

Two things: The family moved when Stevie Y became available, AA could be kicked upstairs and again, feel the money was reward for hanging in there. Most GM's get stale over time and get rejuvenated with a new opportunity. Just who is available is another issue, but IMO deserves another look.

They literally just extended him LAST WEEK.   He's not going anywhere before the end of the 2021 season, and probably not even then unless almost every draft pick and trade asset fails.  

59 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

yeah, nothing's going to happen any time soon.  If/when Avila goes, it will likely be some young hotshot Asst GM from a progressive team like the Astros.  

Or Jonah Hill.

Or Shelton.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As long as the Tigers have the same owner, it wouldn't matter who the next GM is.

Yeah because under this family they've always stunk - like the Lions.     Oh....wait.

30 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

If it's skills as a negotiator you need, there's only one choice...

The negotiator is over at my place playing pinochle with a couple of my men.  He's happy, they're letting him win

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Yeah because under this family they've always stunk - like the Lions.     Oh....wait.

See new thread. 

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

See new thread. 

I saw it.   Doesn't mean much since the opinion of this board won't even have a butterfly effect on any family decision to divest themselves of the Tigers.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The negotiator is over at my place playing pinochle with a couple of my men.  He's happy, they're letting him win

A police Captain is required to post where he is at all times. We have someone at the precinct that will let me know when it is posted. (Maybe not exact)   

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I saw it.   Doesn't mean much since the opinion of this board won't even have a butterfly effect on any family decision to divest themselves of the Tigers.

So, is that the standard for discussion here now? Not allowed to discuss anything unless it will affect the team and organization’s decision-making?

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So, is that the standard for discussion here now? Not allowed to discuss anything unless it will affect the team and organization’s decision-making?

lmao.   Please point out where I once dared to infringe on your right to bloviate on the subject of your choice?   

I clearly stated that it didn't mean much - and it doesn't - no matter if that hurts your feelings or not.  Not meaning much has never stopped you in the past nor will it in the future and that's fine with me.

27 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

lmao.   Please point out where I once dared to infringe on your right to bloviate on the subject of your choice?   

I clearly stated that it didn't mean much - and it doesn't - no matter if that hurts your feelings or not.  Not meaning much has never stopped you in the past nor will it in the future and that's fine with me.

No, you're right, you didn't dare infringe on my right to bloviate. But you did imply that the discussion is pointless since it won't influence the sale of the team. If that's your standard, then it's fair to conclude that you believe every discussion we have about the Tigers is pointless, since none of what we say influences anything the team does. Personally, I think that's too high a bar. The point is that we enjoy discussing these things. I assume. At least I do.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

As long as the Tigers have the same owner, it wouldn't matter who the next GM is.

Highly doubt that.  Chris I will not forever suffer with type of pishpoor team he currently has.  Most likely ..if the vision into the team's future has not improved by mid-2021 ..AA will be gone! 

IMHO, ..People like Chris I can accept temporary 'failure' as long as their is light at the end of the tunnel.  Typically they must see positive tell-tale signs that things are moving in the right direction.  Oh, ..they do not see things as the peons do.  They are managing billions of dollars .. not merely tens of thousands.

We take time out of our lives to visit forums like this ..expend time and effort to complain about Chris and Al.  Do you honestly think they have the time or the motivation to waste their time on our individual opinions?