Jump to content

Keepleyland2

7/7-7/11 National League vs American League (futures/derby/all-star game thread)

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Nice job by Shane Greene!

:alien:

 

We're gonna get a huge haul for him!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCann is catching horribly this inning. Blowing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winning the All-Star game is like taking your sister’s homely friend to the prom. It’s not that big a victory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Winning the All-Star game is like taking your sister’s homely friend to the prom. It’s not that big a victory. 

That sort of depends on the after party.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Box score shows AL pitchers struck out 16 NL batters in 9 innings.  That has to be a record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shane Greene was the only one not to strike anyone out but he was very economical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What worries me the most about the All-Star break is that all our players that are really hot right now will go cold just like Brennan Boesch did...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Beating the National League in an All-Star game is starting to feel like the dads beating the 10-year-olds.

It was the complete opposite in the 70’s—I’m not sure the AL won a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It was the complete opposite in the 70’s—I’m not sure the AL won a game.

From 1963-1982 the AL won once....the '71 game at Tiger Stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

CFrom 1963-1982 the AL won once....the '71 game at Tiger Stadium.

That’s what made the 1983 AL 13-3 trouncing of the NL and Lynn’s grand slam so special.  All my friends in Tucson were from Detroit and we watched the game together and damn if we weren’t happy because of it. We were even happier the next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love baseball.  Started in ‘76 with the Bird, and still burns bright for me 43 years later.

However, given the choice of watching the AAA All-Star game or six random episodes from “The Nanny” season 4, I’ll take Fran Drescher every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

From 1963-1982 the AL won once....the '71 game at Tiger Stadium.

Every one of those was agony.  The National League was just so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the 70s I was a kid and the all-star game was as big as christmas. Yesterday's game was the first I've watched in 20 years - and that's mostly because I just had knee replacement surgery and am laid up. I will say it's amazing how many young stars are dominating mlb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Bouton (ASG 1963) is dead. Instead of a moment of silence, are we supposed to pop some beanies and go beaver shooting as a tribute to him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, leflore said:

In the 70s I was a kid and the all-star game was as big as christmas. Yesterday's game was the first I've watched in 20 years - and that's mostly because I just had knee replacement surgery and am laid up. I will say it's amazing how many young stars are dominating mlb.

They said that the average age was about 27 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Jim Bouton (ASG 1963) is dead. Instead of a moment of silence, are we supposed to pop some beanies and go beaver shooting as a tribute to him?

RIP.....if you have Netflix check out "the Battered Bastards of Baseball." Bouton is in it. Documentary about an independent minor league team owned by Kurt Russell's father in the 70s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Jim Bouton (ASG 1963) is dead. Instead of a moment of silence, are we supposed to pop some beanies and go beaver shooting as a tribute to him?

********.  Off to the afterworld, maybe meeting up to pound some Budweiser with Joe Schultz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leflore said:

RIP.....if you have Netflix check out "the Battered Bastards of Baseball." Bouton is in it. Documentary about an independent minor league team owned by Kurt Russell's father in the 70s

If I remember correctly, Kurt's father was the bat boy for the Yankees in the 30's and had a Lou Gehrig *signed* bat, which would be rare in its own right, but that bat also happened to be the bat that Lou hit his last MLB HR with.

His grandson, Kurt's nephew, is Matt Franco (former MLB player), IIRC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If I remember correctly, Kurt's father was the bat boy for the Yankees in the 30's and had a Lou Gehrig *signed* bat, which would be rare in its' own right, but that bat also happened to be the bat that Lou hit his last MLB HR with.

His grandson, Kurt's nephew, is Matt Franco (former MLB player), IIRC.

 

that was a cool documentary with a lot of interesting tidbits.  I highly recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Cas, it is spelled s***f***.  Or, alternately, f***s***.

I went with the former.  I use the latter only when coaching.

Or am I supposed to actually type "s * * "...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

that was a cool documentary with a lot of interesting tidbits.  I highly recommend.

I'll check that out.

I met Matt Franco's mom when I lived in Japan (he was playing there at the time).  I didn't know she was Kurt's sister at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...