Keepleyland2

7/7-7/11 National League vs American League (futures/derby/all-star game thread)

27 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Nice job by Shane Greene!

:alien:

We're gonna get a huge haul for him!!!

McCann is catching horribly this inning. Blowing it. 

Winning the All-Star game is like taking your sister’s homely friend to the prom. It’s not that big a victory. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Winning the All-Star game is like taking your sister’s homely friend to the prom. It’s not that big a victory. 

That sort of depends on the after party.

• Like 1

Box score shows AL pitchers struck out 16 NL batters in 9 innings.  That has to be a record.

Shane Greene was the only one not to strike anyone out but he was very economical. 

What worries me the most about the All-Star break is that all our players that are really hot right now will go cold just like Brennan Boesch did...

7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Beating the National League in an All-Star game is starting to feel like the dads beating the 10-year-olds.

It was the complete opposite in the 70’s—I’m not sure the AL won a game.

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It was the complete opposite in the 70’s—I’m not sure the AL won a game.

From 1963-1982 the AL won once....the '71 game at Tiger Stadium.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

CFrom 1963-1982 the AL won once....the '71 game at Tiger Stadium.

That’s what made the 1983 AL 13-3 trouncing of the NL and Lynn’s grand slam so special.  All my friends in Tucson were from Detroit and we watched the game together and damn if we weren’t happy because of it. We were even happier the next year. 

I love baseball.  Started in ‘76 with the Bird, and still burns bright for me 43 years later.

However, given the choice of watching the AAA All-Star game or six random episodes from “The Nanny” season 4, I’ll take Fran Drescher every time.

5 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

From 1963-1982 the AL won once....the '71 game at Tiger Stadium.

Every one of those was agony.  The National League was just so much better.

In the 70s I was a kid and the all-star game was as big as christmas. Yesterday's game was the first I've watched in 20 years - and that's mostly because I just had knee replacement surgery and am laid up. I will say it's amazing how many young stars are dominating mlb.

Jim Bouton (ASG 1963) is dead. Instead of a moment of silence, are we supposed to pop some beanies and go beaver shooting as a tribute to him?

41 minutes ago, leflore said:

In the 70s I was a kid and the all-star game was as big as christmas. Yesterday's game was the first I've watched in 20 years - and that's mostly because I just had knee replacement surgery and am laid up. I will say it's amazing how many young stars are dominating mlb.

They said that the average age was about 27 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Jim Bouton (ASG 1963) is dead. Instead of a moment of silence, are we supposed to pop some beanies and go beaver shooting as a tribute to him?

RIP.....if you have Netflix check out "the Battered Bastards of Baseball." Bouton is in it. Documentary about an independent minor league team owned by Kurt Russell's father in the 70s

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

********.  Off to the afterworld, maybe meeting up to pound some Budweiser with Joe Schultz?

6 hours ago, leflore said:

RIP.....if you have Netflix check out "the Battered Bastards of Baseball." Bouton is in it. Documentary about an independent minor league team owned by Kurt Russell's father in the 70s

If I remember correctly, Kurt's father was the bat boy for the Yankees in the 30's and had a Lou Gehrig *signed* bat, which would be rare in its own right, but that bat also happened to be the bat that Lou hit his last MLB HR with.

His grandson, Kurt's nephew, is Matt Franco (former MLB player), IIRC.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If I remember correctly, Kurt's father was the bat boy for the Yankees in the 30's and had a Lou Gehrig *signed* bat, which would be rare in its' own right, but that bat also happened to be the bat that Lou hit his last MLB HR with.

His grandson, Kurt's nephew, is Matt Franco (former MLB player), IIRC.

that was a cool documentary with a lot of interesting tidbits.  I highly recommend.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Cas, it is spelled s***f***.  Or, alternately, f***s***.

I went with the former.  I use the latter only when coaching.

Or am I supposed to actually type "s * * "...?

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

that was a cool documentary with a lot of interesting tidbits.  I highly recommend.

I'll check that out.

I met Matt Franco's mom when I lived in Japan (he was playing there at the time).  I didn't know she was Kurt's sister at the time.