Keepleyland2

7/7-7/11 National League vs American League (futures/derby/all-star game thread)

I'd be irked as well, but in the end, the Tigers did not make him a offer to seriously consider foregoing free agency, and that is a much, much bigger factor than an opening day start.

Now if you are saying the team was resigned to letting Max walk, and further wanted to throw a bone to JV -> the opening day start reflected it, then perhaps.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But it wasn't as if that scrub wasn't going to get another shot in some future year when he pitched better than the other guy. This is sports after all, winning is supposed be what the rewards are for - team wise and individually.

And I get all the argument but when people through it out there like I have no clue why max didnt get the start...its because we had a home grown hall of Famer we just 200 million

48 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd be irked as well, but in the end, the Tigers did not make him a offer to seriously consider foregoing free agency, and that is a much, much bigger factor than an opening day start.

I guess there was debate at the time about the time weighted value of what the Nats offered vs the Det offer. I don't think I would characterize Detroit's offer at the time as unserious. I guess as far as we know they did not make an offer once he was a FA. It did appear negotiation broke down pretty much before it started and while one view on that was simple petulance on Ilitch's part, does anyone really know? Dombrowski I suppose.

I guess it always struck me as there being a lot of old school thinking around JV. The staff had an 'Ace' and that created a rigid pecking order. If we had kept Max that simple paradigm would not have been true, we would have had two great pitchers either of which might have performed better in a given year. It could just have been a continuing habit of mind he was up against more than overt intention that made Max to want get out.

Whatever the antecedents, I'm sure there is some universe where the Tiger org handled everything differently and Max stayed.

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That is true - purely my opinion that if it had been me I would have been pissed as all heII.

you seem very excitable.

Q.Who started Opening Day of 1969? The 31 game regular season Cy Young winner or the 3-wins World Series MVP pitcher?

A. Denny McLain

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Whatever the antecedents, I'm sure there is some universe where the Tiger org handled everything differently and Max stayed.

I hope that’s the one where me and Charlize Theron are “a thing.“

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Is the cucumber supposed to show how excited you are?

so I just opened the site on a different computer than I posted on and the cucumbers look...ahem...quite different, to say the least. So I guess I'm not going to comment.

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so I just opened the site on a different computer than I posted on and the cucumbers look...ahem...quite different, to say the least. So I guess I'm not going to comment.

lol, I thought it was some sort of code I didn't understand.

I’m going to try to watch this damn thing.  Doesn’t it begin with something like a 30-minute dog and pony show?  Something like where the great achievements of better teams and better players than my own team’s players can celebrate their betterness? 

It’s like peeking in through the window at a party you’re not invited to. 

22 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s like peeking in through the window at a party you’re not invited to. 

that's how i go to most parties

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m going to try to watch this damn thing.  Doesn’t it begin with something like a 30-minute dog and pony show?  Something like where the great achievements of better teams and better players than my own team’s players can celebrate their betterness? 

I have a friend who is one of the people holding the flag tonight. She's cute, but attached. Or attached, but cute. I've seen photos from rehearsals earlier today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I have a friend who is one of the people holding the flag tonight. She's cute, but attached. Or attached, but cute. I've seen photos from rehearsals earlier today.

Cute often means attached, it's why Bert is rarely free.

Verlander's cap looks very ... crowded.

I kinduv liked the in-ear mic on the 3rd batter that inning.

8 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

And Ron Gardenhire keeps using the worst pitcher in the rotation as his opening day starter.  

That's just ignorant. Jim went beyond that.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

that's how i go to most parties

I watched my HS reunion on youtube.  

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I watched my HS reunion on youtube.  

Mine was password-protected and I was never part of the in crowd.

11 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

Losing Scherzer was the start of the downfall.  The organization could not recover from that.  But losing the face of the franchise (Verlander) was the final nail in the coffin.

BTW, what is also depressing is the fact that the Tigers have been beaten by their entire 2014 starting rotation already this year.  

I wonder if that is some sort of MLB record? 

Justin Verlander, Anibal Sanchez, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, David Price.  Interestingly, the last 4 named above have each beaten the Tigers during the Tigers last 9 games.

21 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Nice job by Shane Greene!

:alien:

12 pitches

I might have more skin in this game than I thought. I want the AL win this game.  

15 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

I wonder if that is some sort of MLB record? 

Justin Verlander, Anibal Sanchez, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, David Price.  Interestingly, the last 4 named above have each beaten the Tigers during the Tigers last 9 games.

“The wages of sin is death.” ROMANS 6:23

We are getting what we deserve. 

• Like 1