Keepleyland2

7/7-7/11 National League vs American League (futures/derby/all-star game thread)

The home run derby bores me.  Besides, I can watch Zimmermann pitch like that every 5th day during the regular season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Trading Verlander still stings.  I can remember my kid waking up and crying about it before heading to school.  I don't think it will ever go away.

Losing Scherzer was the start of the downfall.  The organization could not recover from that.  But losing the face of the franchise (Verlander) was the final nail in the coffin.

BTW, what is also depressing is the fact that the Tigers have been beaten by their entire 2014 starting rotation already this year.  

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The home run derby bores me.  Besides, I can watch Zimmermann pitch like that every 5th day during the regular season.

Awesome......!! Too funny.....!!

If it's possible for me to have zero interest in a baseball event, the home run derby would be that event.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If it's possible for me to have zero interest in a baseball event, the home run derby would be that event.  

I like to see the players have so much fun. That's what baseball should be. Last night was a lot of fun to watch. 

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I like to see the players have so much fun. That's what baseball should be. Last night was a lot of fun to watch. 

Sure was a blast to watch. And I can watch the likes of Vlad Jr. take BP all night long. It's a spectacle of power.

I enjoyed last night's festivities far more than any Tigers game for several years now.

1 hour ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Bring on the Skills Competition for MLB!

combining the worst features of Curling and Baseball into one event? What's not to love?

1 hour ago, roarintiger1 said:

Losing Scherzer was the start of the downfall.  The organization could not recover from that.  But losing the face of the franchise (Verlander) was the final nail in the coffin.

BTW, what is also depressing is the fact that the Tigers have been beaten by their entire 2014 starting rotation already this year.  

And we may have Jim Leyland to thank for that as much as Ilitch or DD.. I don't know if he just didn't like Max or was trying to make some obscure Leylandesque point, but Max must be the only guy in history to be denied an opening day start after winning a CY. A lot of people blew it off at the time, but in retrospect it looks even worse to me now.

1 hour ago, Tigertown Rats said:

No to bunting, but some sort of skills comp could be pretty cool. I'd love to watch outfielders make long throws, for example. SS's running into the hole and doing sweet spin&throws... there's a lot you could do. Nobody would give a **** about them but it would maybe settle a lot of dumb debates. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am not bitter about that trade.

Really, I'm not.

Honestly.

It was the penultimate expression of a salary dump to illustrate the point that ownership no longer considered Detroit a big market franchise and that it was more like a small market franchise which rarely resigns their best players and will let them go to save money. The Detroit Tigers are now merely another asset among other assets which are now in theory interchangeable on a spreadsheet. 

2 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I'd like to see a bad hitting team like the current Tigers actually try to score runs using a bunt once in a while.   What would they have to lose?

Does this game still decide whether or not the Tigers will get home field advantage if they make the World Series this year?

45 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And we may have Jim Leyland to thank for that as much as Ilitch or DD.. I don't know if he just didn't like Max or was trying to make some obscure Leylandesque point, but Max must be the only guy in history to be denied an opening day start after winning a CY. A lot of people blew it off at the time, but in retrospect it looks even worse to me now.

And Ron Gardenhire keeps using the worst pitcher in the rotation as his opening day starter.  

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Does this game still decide whether or not the Tigers will get home field advantage if they make the World Series this year?

Home-field advantage in the World Series is no longer based on the result of the All-Star Game. Home field (Games 1-2 and 6-7) in this best-of-seven series goes to the team with the higher regular-season winning percentage, regardless of whether team is a Wild Card winner or a Division Series winner.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/world-series-home-field-advantage-c252671498.html

16 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Home-field advantage in the World Series is no longer based on the result of the All-Star Game. Home field (Games 1-2 and 6-7) in this best-of-seven series goes to the team with the higher regular-season winning percentage, regardless of whether team is a Wild Card winner or a Division Series winner.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/world-series-home-field-advantage-c252671498.html

I did not know this until I looked it up, but I’m not surprised because it’s been quite a while since I’ve had a team for whom this circumstance had any meaning at all. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

No to bunting, but some sort of skills comp could be pretty cool. I'd love to watch outfielders make long throws, for example. SS's running into the hole and doing sweet spin&throws... there's a lot you could do. Nobody would give a **** about them but it would maybe settle a lot of dumb debates. 

I agree.  There was an all star game decades ago where this happened informally, out in right field.  Ellis Valentine was there, probably Dave Parker, maybe Dwight Evans, and they were making throws into third base.  I would have loved to have seen that.

1976 All-Star Game starting center fielder Ron Leflore talking about 1976 All-Star Game starting pitcher Mark Fidrych.

Fidrych years later talking about his 1977 injury at the 2:40 mark. I hadn't seen that before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It wasnt like some scrub was given the nod

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

And Ron Gardenhire keeps using the worst pitcher in the rotation as his opening day starter.  

This is an actual complaint?  Yipdee ******* doo.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have no basis to think Max not starting an opening game had any bearing on anything of substance.

That is true - purely my opinion that if it had been me I would have been pissed as all heII.

15 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

It wasnt like some scrub was given the nod

But it wasn't as if that scrub wasn't going to get another shot in some future year when he pitched better than the other guy. This is sports after all, winning is supposed be what the rewards are for - team wise and individually.