Keepleyland2

7/7 @1:10 Boston Red Sox vs Detroit Tigers

DE4180C7-2BDD-40F7-A6F5-D1EDE9FCE63F.jpeg.3a87bef26d91be09c6d69fd12290b422.jpeg

It’s “The Neverending Funeral.” Through the end of May we were 13-14. Since then, 15-42.  It’s a perfect storm where the plan has come together.  The fat lady has sung. The grave robbers have already ransacked the mansion and torn down the curtains. They have carried off the women as a bounty. It’s ovah!

the tigers are 3-24 at home since may 9.  thats the worst stretch at home since the 79 mets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

DE4180C7-2BDD-40F7-A6F5-D1EDE9FCE63F.jpeg.3a87bef26d91be09c6d69fd12290b422.jpeg

Through the end of May we were 13-14. Since then, 15-42.  It’s a three-month funeral from here on out. It’s a perfect storm where the plan has come together. 

After a bumpy start it seems the Avila Tanking Plan is working to perfection.    It's concerning to see Jake Jones and the Candy Man starting to hit, that type of thing could throw a real wrench in the works.   Luckily the pitching has done their part by collapsing.

The ownership of this team is like a skilled army of assassins. They’re so good they’re able to retouch the photos containing the dearly departed so well you’d think they never existed.  I only have a faint recollection of what the scent of hope is like. I’m surprised I can even remember how to spell it. It’s like a coup where the junta targets itself.

• Like 1

Friends, do you wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom?  Well, that's a whole lot better than NOT waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

• Like 1

This tanking thing is a perverse version of the Protestant work ethic. It’s a philosophy of deferred gratification applied to the Nth degree and achieving a zenith of no gratification. It’s worse than Mickey Mouse in Fantasia destroying the castle.  He was stupid. It’s more like throwing the fight in On the Waterfront.  It’s on purpose. It’s a conscious misuse and abuse of the way the draft system works. Teams should be punished for doing stuff like this instead of rewarded. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

This tanking thing is a perverse version of the Protestant work ethic. It’s a philosophy of deferred gratification applied to the Nth degree and achieving a zenith of no gratification. It’s worse than Mickey Mouse in Fantasia destroying the castle.  He was stupid. It’s more like throwing the fight in On the Waterfront.  It’s on purpose. It’s a conscious misuse and abuse of the way the draft system works. Teams should be punished for doing stuff like this instead of rewarded. 

I'm OK with bad teams getting higher draft picks, but this whole "the-worse-you-are-the-better-you-pick" system obviously incentivizes the kind of tanking several teams are engaging in right now. It's bad for Baseball, not just because fans in tanking cities check out, but also in how it affects pennant races if certain teams luck into playing tanking teams in September. So how about MLB go to an NBA-style lottery draft?

All twenty non-playoff teams go into the lottery pool. Worst record gets 20 chances, next worst 18, next 16, all the way down to 10th worst gets two, then everyone between 11th and 20th worst gets one. In this system, the worst team gets only a 16.6% odds of getting the first pick, and maybe a 75% chance of getting a top five. That way, teams will be less incentivized to tank, because the top draft pick would not be assured.

If it works right, the first time a team loses 100 games on purpose to get a high lottery pick and ends up with the 11th pick as their reward, there should be enough holy h-e-double toothpicks to pay to practically eliminate this behavior.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more with the two previous posts.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm OK with bad teams getting higher draft picks, but this whole "the-worse-you-are-the-better-you-pick" system obviously incentivizes the kind of tanking several teams are engaging in right now. It's bad for Baseball, not just because fans in tanking cities check out, but also in how it affects pennant races if certain teams luck into playing tanking teams in September. So how about MLB go to an NBA-style lottery draft?

All twenty non-playoff teams go into the lottery pool. Worst record gets 20 chances, next worst 18, next 16, all the way down to 10th worst gets two, then everyone between 11th and 20th worst gets one. In this system, the worst team gets only a 16.6% odds of getting the first pick, and maybe a 75% chance of getting a top five. That way, teams will be less incentivized to tank, because the top draft pick would not be assured.

If it works right, the first time a team loses 100 games on purpose to get a high lottery pick and ends up with the 11th pick as their reward, there should be enough holy h-e-double toothpicks to pay to practically eliminate this behavior.

The problem with lotteries is that you can keep teams being bad longer. We all agree being bad is part of sports. You're good, players leave, you're bad, repeat. 

With a lottery you can have a bad team be bad for longer if they are repeated bumped down in the lottery. That is why in the NBA you see the same teams picking 4-9 year after year after year. 

3up, 3down for the Sox - Mr. Soto showing the other pitchers how to wreck a tank.

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I couldn't agree more with the two previous posts.  

Even Bert and his Fantasia stuff?

Reyes does the leadoff thing, walks.

Casty drives him in with a double.

The Tigers have pounced on Price!

I know if I say it, it's a jinx, but can I type no-hitter?   Only 24 outs to go for the Soto No-No.     

If the first hitter of the 2nd inning gets a hit - yes, it's my fault. 

Well much like the rest of metro Detroit, Miggy doesn't want to be in Comerica Park either

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know if I say it, it's a jinx, but can I type no-hitter?   Only 24 outs to go for the Soto No-No.     

If the first hitter of the 2nd inning gets a hit - yes, it's my fault. 

LOL

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The problem with lotteries is that you can keep teams being bad longer. We all agree being bad is part of sports. You're good, players leave, you're bad, repeat. 

With a lottery you can have a bad team be bad for longer if they are repeated bumped down in the lottery. That is why in the NBA you see the same teams picking 4-9 year after year after year. 

One terrible team's loss in the lottery is a bad team's gain.  Why reward a 105 loss team over a 95 loss team?  They both need help. 

Also, losing a few spots in the lottery will hurt a team less in baseball than basketball, so I don't really see it making a bad team bad indefinitely.  Smart teams should not be bad for a long time.

44 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I’m not clear on how a draft lottery system would per se incent a team to do poorly so they can get as many chances as possible year after year?

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

One terrible team's loss in the lottery is a bad team's gain.  Why reward a 105 loss team over a 95 loss team?  They both need help. 

Also, losing a few spots in the lottery will hurt a team less in baseball than basketball, so I don't really see it making a bad team bad indefinitely.  Smart teams should not be bad for a long time.

BB09328A-CD25-427A-9C70-E23EA296F48F.jpeg.a3a56fa769624078ce0b556c77d33ed4.jpeg