HeyAbbott

Tiger's GM Contract Extended

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

I wouldn't bet on that, but he should be useful in either corner.

It's not a bad idea - if you have a guy you think may have a tendency to get too big, having him think of himself and train toward being a CF isn't going to hurt. Heck, the most mobile Cabrera was in his years in Det was when he knew he was going back to third. Still wasn't enough to make him a good 3b :wink:, but I think those were his trimmest years in Det.

I hope Avila celebrates his extension by trading Greene and Boyd for some 19 year old, light hitting backup middle infielders. 

You can never have enough of those guys in a minor league system.

Avila Trades

Jose King, Sergio Alcantara, Dawel Lugo, Daz Cameron, Jake Rogers, Franklin Perez, , Nolan Blackwood, Logan Shore, Will Castro, Victor Alcantara, Isaac Paredes, Jeimer Candelaria, Grayson Long,  Elvin Rodriguez, Wilkel Hernandez, Troy Montgomery (retired)

for

JD Martinez, Justin Verlander, Mike Fiers, Leonys Martin, Cameron Maybin, Justin Wilson, Alex Avila, Ian Kinsler, Justin Upton

The return for those guys is quite unimpressive.  None of those guys are looking like they are going to be even average MLB players at this point.  Castro has some potential.  Other than that, the offensive players cannot hit.  Some of those guys might be bullpen arms.  

Could he have done better?  Possibly.  I think most of the disgust at Avila was for the return for JD Martinez.  Three bottom of the barrel prospects...I would have preferred one better rated prospect.  He went with quantity over quality.  I am not sure if any team was going to offer top prospects for any of those players.

It's really hard to get upset with his FA signings.  He went middle of the road and that is the production the Tigers received.  The team wasn't going to compete, so why spend money on anyone?

The question is about the draft picks.  Casey Mize is looking like a quality future MLB pitcher, but there wasn't much choice in picking Mize.  It depends on how many of the other picks make it to the majors.

Will he swap Matthew Boyd for anything of value?

I can't see a huge return for Shane Greene.

Castellanos has very little trade value.

Swapping those guys will probably bring very little value back to the Tigers organization,

I am not really sure what he really could have done to drastically improve the mess that is on the field now.  A cook can only do so much with bad ingredients. 

On 7/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, chasfh said:

Well, we haven’t seen a franchise sale, front office cleaning or diametrically opposite approach implementation, so ... you tell me. :ermm:

Sharpen your machete . . . . 

I’d still like to know what defensive questions Riley Greene has answered. Apparently I missed something about this so I’d like to see it.

Henning's thesis essentially is that Mike Ilitch's team building model was eventually going to crash and burn(true) and rebuilding is hard(also true) so we should accept Avila's extension as some kind of progress(not true). Of course losing 100 games is the easy part.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:18 PM, chasfh said:

I report, you decide.

I do have this question, though: what defensive questions did he answer? 

It seems like the post you quoted implicitly listed the defensive questions that were answered, namely his speed and arm. 

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It seems like the post you quoted implicitly listed the defensive questions that were answered, namely his speed and arm. 

I don't know any more about Riley Greene's defensive abilities than what I have seen in write-ups about him, but it seems that if he were a good defender, his write-ups would be saying he's a good defender. Instead, they're saying below-average speed and fringy arm.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know any more about Riley Greene's defensive abilities than what I have seen in write-ups about him, but it seems that if he were a good defender, his write-ups would be saying he's a good defender. Instead, they're saying below-average speed and fringy arm.

Be patient, a few months with Lloyd and there will be no more worries about his defensive abilities.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Which for a corner outfielder doesn't mean much.  The positive run value of a good-hitting corner outfielder will virtually always greatly outweigh the negative run value of even significantly below-average defense.  At positions where offense is a priority, if you get good defense to go along with good offense, that's icing on the cake.  But if the offense is there and the defense is not, you live with the defense.  

42 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Which for a corner outfielder doesn't mean much.  The positive run value of a good-hitting corner outfielder will virtually always greatly outweigh the negative run value of even significantly below-average defense.  At positions where offense is a priority, if you get good defense to go along with good offense, that's icing on the cake.  But if the offense is there and the defense is not, you live with the defense.  

True. We've been living with the defense for over a decade now. Problem is these days, we're also living with the offense.

I'm not exactly happy for this extension, but what is the benchmark we are using to determine whether or not Avila is ultimately a failure? How many years?

On 7/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, chasfh said:

I’d still like to know what defensive questions Riley Greene has answered. Apparently I missed something about this so I’d like to see it.

Perfect Game lists Riley with a 6.62 60, and a 92 mph throw. If he can judge a fly ball that's OK for an OF. I get the impression the knock on his fielding is all about the projection he turns into Greg Luzinski.

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

At one point he had below average speed and a fringy arm. He improved, quite a bit. Scouting reports are not static.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:54 PM, FloridaTigers said:

but what is the benchmark we are using to determine whether or not Avila is ultimately a failure?

We are paying the Houston Astros to roster Justin Verlander...Justin freaking Verlander!  Avila is NOT a shrewd dude. What more needs to be proven?

On Monday, July 08, 2019 at 4:54 PM, FloridaTigers said:

I'm not exactly happy for this extension, but what is the benchmark we are using to determine whether or not Avila is ultimately a failure? How many years?

He's already well past his sell-by date.