HeyAbbott

Tiger's GM Contract Extended

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This and the extension is meaningless. Do you think he wont get fired if it turns out the prospects stink? It's like when they tack on a year or two to a coaches contract set to expire. See Caldwell.

It’s not completely meaningless. I was holding out hope he’d be fired at the end of this season. 

46 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Because he's a yes man and works for cheap. That's why. 

For his salary I'm willing to be a yes man.

what was the point of doing this now?  is Al such a hot commodity you had to lock him down and keep other teams at bay?  i doubt it.

and its not like the lions and caldwell, its like the lions and millen.  caldwell is in charge of a football team and needs (some might say) the backing of ownership to fully control the locker room.  avila doesnt need that.  are people not listening to him because they think he's going to be fired?

is the rebuild going well? it doesnt seem to be going particularly well if you check the minor league stats.  so i dont understand why you do this now.

hopefully there are positive organizational things going on behind the scenes we arent aware of.

This seem so an odd move at best.  Unless there are positive things behind the scenes that aren’t necessarily obvious or public knowledge.

Genius or insanity?  The final judgement about this move likely hinges on the development...or lack thereof...of Kona Quiggle.  He is the key....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

It’s not completely meaningless. I was holding out hope he’d be fired at the end of this season. 

It's not meaningless to those who don't like him and would like to see a new approach sooner rather than later.  Sure they can still replace him whenever they want, but the extension suggests they don't want to replace him any time soon.  

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

This idiotic move will extend the fans' misery and the rebuilding process -- such as it is -- by at least the length of the extension.  And that's the most positive and least profane thing I can say about it.

Fat and stupid is no way to go through life.  But it's apparently enough for a  guy to be the Tigers' General Manager.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just don't see the reason to do it now when his contract wasn't up till 2020.  I mean why not wait to see how he handles the Boyd and Greene trades and what he gets out of that or how the system performs the rest of the season before handing out this extension?

Yes, this was my first thought. I figured sometime between August and the end of the World Series, Avila would either be fired or extended. 

The only reason to do this now is that Avila is doing some galactic brain level stuff behind the scenes that we simply are not privy to OR

Chris Ilitch is even more like one of the idiot sons from (the HBO show SUCCESSION) than I ever imagined possible. 

Would we accept three 100-loss seasons in a row after two other losing seasons to have a chance at winning another WS?  It took that and more for the Astros to accumulate and develop the kind of talent to win and still have pieces left over to make deals for guys like Verlander.  So do we have a Wade, or a Luhnow?

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's not meaningless to those who don't like him and would like to see a new approach sooner rather than later.  Sure they can still replace him whenever they want, but the extension suggests they don't want to replace him any time soon.  

Anyone whose been thinking that Ilitch had any disposition to fire Avila must have believed Ilitch was lying pretty aggressively in public about it. I have not  seen a single thing that even hints at an implication Ilitch is anything less than pleased as punch with Al.

Which is why "timing" also is not significant. This was going to happen, it was probably just a point in everyone's schedules when it came together.

3 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

Just announced. Al Aliva has had his GM contract extended by the Detroit Tigers per Freep article.

This is because the Tigers are gonna stink for years to come, and Avila will shelter C.I. from the blame.

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Anyone whose been thinking that Ilitch had any disposition to fire Avila must have believed Ilitch was lying pretty aggressively in public about it. I have not  seen a single thing that even hints at an implication Ilitch is anything less than pleased as punch with Al.

Which is why "timing" also is not significant. This was going to happen, it was probably just a point in everyone's schedules when it came together.

Did you hear Mike Ilitch talking publicly about how he wanted to fire DD? This sort of thing doesn't happen. Because you don't hear anything does not mean that it can't happen. 

I know it doesn't matter now, but this team should have been blown up immediately after the 2014 season. I know thinking about what should have happened is not productive, but part of this hot mess is directly related to not realizing the window closed earlier than most accept.

Be that as it may, the bigger problem may be that the quality of instruction in the farm system, at least with respect the teaching defense to position players must suck big time. We still do not seem to be able to identify what a quality hitting positional player looks like. Talent is not being developed properly, and maybe talent is not being properly identified on the front end. Identifying and training in bound talent is something that the GM should be held accountable for results.

Interesting. The more I engage in a stream of consciousness hashing-out of this problem, the more I agree with Yoda.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Genius or insanity?  The final judgement about this move likely hinges on the development...or lack thereof...of Kona Quiggle.  He is the key....

Brilliant 

Don’t understand this move at all, particularly the timing. While they’re feeling optimistic, go ahead and extend Gardy. It doesn’t really mean anything anyway ...

9 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I never doubted Ávila would be extended. It affirms the present direction. When an organization likes what someone is doing they pull the trigger early because they don’t want uncertainty to ripple from the top down. 

He works within the parameters set by ownership and by those parameters he’s a success.  This is one of the harsh realities of the private ownership of assets in a context where there is an illusion that this is somehow public property. 

The Tigers had to extend him to keep him, because of all the other organizations that were clamoring for his services.  After all, Kroger is always looking for people that can bag groceries properly and shag shopping carts, and of course there are the car washes that need towel talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think most people here expected him to be extended.  I expect the Tigers to suck for a long time too, but I still have hopes and dreams!

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Did you hear Mike Ilitch talking publicly about how he wanted to fire DD? This sort of thing doesn't happen. Because you don't hear anything does not mean that it can't happen. 

actually, late in the process there was was some less then happy talk before DD left - I would say actually mostly on DD's end, but I would say it was discernible  in public that the relation ship had cooled. And there is plenty of precedent of sports owners airing out their displeasure with their FO - usually before a move. Doesn't have to happen but does often enough. Avila and CI are peas in a pod at this point. C. I. hasn't just given Al perfunctory support, he has been enthusiastic talking about what they are doing.

So we have a sports owner that the fans are persuaded knows nothing about being one, despite being probably the only sports owner in the country that grew up in the middle of franchises in two major sports, who has engineered everyone in the world's dream hire to run one of his franchises,  (brooming K Holland despite the Ilitch org being paralyzed by its misplaced loyalty) who has already seen a number of the team's biggest past organizational failures (most of which have been cited here) being addressed, but he is still a Moran and is slammed based on what people speculate he will or won't do in 3 or 4 yrs.

OK.

I get it, Avila doesn't look like the sharpest tool in the shed when he gives interviews, and I could care less because that criterion has zero to do with how good he really is at his job. Something much harder for any of us to see than his TV skills.

I have no idea if this org is going to succeed with this management cast, but aside from not having any players - which is 95% a legacy issue, I don't see much In the way of criticisms based on any objective, discernible facts. The franchise has made the moves to join the 21st century, things hinge on present and future  draft picks and trade acquisitions who are still in the minors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Would we accept three 100-loss seasons in a row after two other losing seasons to have a chance at winning another WS?  It took that and more for the Astros to accumulate and develop the kind of talent to win and still have pieces left over to make deals for guys like Verlander.  So do we have a Wade, or a Luhnow?

The Astros turned things around only once the team was sold, the front office was cleaned out, and they employed a diametrically opposite approach. That’s why the Astros are the franchise you see today. They didn’t do it with the same brain trust who’d been there 15-20 years.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

The Tigers had to extend him to keep him, because of all the other organizations that were clamoring for his services.  After all, Kroger is always looking for people that can bag groceries properly and shag shopping carts, and of course there are the car washes that need towel talent.

A+

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

actually, late in the process there was was some less then happy talk before DD left - I would say actually mostly on DD's end, but I would say it was discernible  in public that the relation ship had cooled. And there is plenty of precedent of sports owners airing out their displeasure with their FO - usually before a move. Doesn't have to happen but does often enough. Avila and CI are peas in a pod at this point. C. I. hasn't just given Al perfunctory support, he has been enthusiastic talking about what they are doing.

DD was on the last year of his contract. The fact that he wasn't extended prior to the season had the fans and media buzzing about it, and Dave was probably frustrated as well. As he should have been. That was a much different situation from Avila's. I don't think we would have heard anything publicly if he wanted to fire him. 

11 minutes ago, Yoda said:

DD was on the last year of his contract. The fact that he wasn't extended prior to the season had the fans and media buzzing about it, and Dave was probably frustrated as well. As he should have been. That was a much different situation from Avila's. I don't think we would have heard anything publicly if he wanted to fire him. 

True, but if Avila had not been extended, then the situation would have been a lot more similar going forward. 🤔

Possibly. I just don't think everyone should have expected this simply because we didn't hear any public grumblings yet.