HeyAbbott

Tiger's GM Contract Extended

Just announced. Al Aliva has had his GM contract extended by the Detroit Tigers per Freep article.

What a joke. When you have an owner who has no idea what he is doing. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

What a joke. When you have an owner who has no idea what he is doing. 

I m not certain where I am on Aliva, but we are entering a critical phase of the rebuild,  assuming the goal is to have a competitive team by 2021. I do think that there are reasons to be concerned though.

2 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I m not certain where I am on Aliva, but we are entering a critical phase of the rebuild,  assuming the goal is to have a competitive team by 2021. I do think that there are reasons to be concerned though.

Ilitch fell for this too. All the more reason to bring in someone who knows what they're doing. 

Detroit (pro sports) gonna Detroit. Just anemic ownership. I figured an extension would happen, but was holding out hope that Chris “Silver Spoon” Illness would somehow do the right thing. 

This is reminiscent of the Lions and WCF extending Matt Millen when he had proven no aptitude for the job. What is the point of doing this right now? What has Avila done to deserve an extension ever?

One of my biggest gripes about  Aliva is that he states what he is going to do publicly. I wish he would stick to cliches like:

"We are trying to build a first class farm system."

" I will do what I can to help the ball club."

" Always looking for ways to improve."

I've been one of the biggest Avila apologists on here and even I don't get it.     

I am not a fan of Avila, but he hasn't reached Randy Smith status.  Still, I'd have preferred he not get this extension.  

Not expected just now, but also completely unsurprising.

Another data point for my hypothesis that the Tigers are a lot like the Lions: an organization that values loyalty above all. And Al Avila has been nothing if not loyal. 

Shades of Russ Thomas.  

6 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

One of my biggest gripes about  Aliva is that he states what he is going to do publicly. I wish he would stick to cliches like:

"We are trying to build a first class farm system."

" I will do what I can to help the ball club."

" Always looking for ways to improve."

Mine is his inability to acquire hitters who know how to be selective and not swing at every pitch they see. We learned this 20 years ago. He hasn't gotten the memo yet. Also his inability to progressive-thinking talent evaluators, choosing to just stick with DD's guys, who couldn't develop talent when he was here either. 

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I am not a fan of Avila, but he hasn't reached Randy Smith status.  Still, I'd have preferred he not get this extension.  

You have to trade your entire team for Juan Gonzalez to reach Randy Smith status. That is a low, low, low bar to reach and I hope he gets fired before reaching Randy Smith status. That said, given this extension, it looks like he can turn us into the Randy Smith Tigers and not get fired. 

Are Brian Hunter, Pete Inclavila or Kamera Bartee still of playing age? Maybe Al can sign them.

An organization needs to be able to recognize talent, attract talent, groom and train talent, retain talent, and replace talent to be successful. How well do the Tigers perform on these points? not well I am afraid.

2 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I'm fine with this.  Al needs some more time.

This and the extension is meaningless. Do you think he wont get fired if it turns out the prospects stink? It's like when they tack on a year or two to a coaches contract set to expire. See Caldwell.

• Like 1

I read the words..”track record”... yep.. we are worse each year he is “rebuilding”....

”analytics”?.....most players who have left Tigers to perform better at other franchises have expressed the antiquated analytics the Tigers have.....and all players at other teams perform better than here....

how about cutting other prospects so the can be All Stars... ever heard of a guy named James McCann?

i refuse and refuted anything positive that this organization has to say....

i will not spend one penny patronizing this current administration or ownership if it keeps on this path...

sell the Team and let the fans and players enjoy an owner and GM that have a real command of what they are doing...

4 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Interesting. I've decided I'm not much  of a Matt Shepherd fan, plus the team is too bad so give as much 'sit in front of a screen" time to as opposed to "have on in the background while doing something else" so I've been hearing a lot of Dan and Jim. Dickerson can't stop talking about the changes in the ways the team approaches player development, the increase in instrumentation, the detailed analysis by player, the use of real time quantitative feed back data, to break down swings and throws, and that they have pushed it all the way to the lowest levels of the org. He is, IOW, a HUGE fan of the approaches this org is taking. FWIW that certainly does not square with a conclusion that this FO is just Dombrowski V2.0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

It's amusing to me that so many people think "a rebuild takes 8 years" is the only way to evaluate whether or not he should keep his job. 

• Like 1

I just don't see the reason to do it now when his contract wasn't up till 2020.  I mean why not wait to see how he handles the Boyd and Greene trades and what he gets out of that or how the system performs the rest of the season before handing out this extension?

48 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just don't see the reason to do it now when his contract wasn't up till 2020.  I mean why not wait to see how he handles the Boyd and Greene trades and what he gets out of that or how the system performs the rest of the season before handing out this extension?

Because he's a yes man and works for cheap. That's why. 

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

This makes me believe that Gardenhire will get an extension too.  

Oh God no. I'd rather Gardenhire than Avila though. One has a much bigger effect than the other.