Tigers at White Sox

Game 80

27-52

Remember him?

feb-2001-rod-lindsey-of-the-detroit-tige
Rod Lindsey

Years with Detroit: 2000

Tigers highlights: Got his lone hit in his final Tigers AB on Oct. 1, 2000

You may remember him from: Jacksonville Suns, Bridgeport Bluefish, shares a birthday with Jackson Pollock

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

Rod.jpg

27 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Rod.jpg

Stupid Tigers let a kid with that OPS walk.

11 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Stupid Tigers let a kid with that OPS walk.

Wouldn't take a walk.

39th round pick, 9 yrs in the minors, 5 PA in the show.  Baseball can be pretty cruel.

• Like 1

So with the Tigers giving us little to cheer about this year,  I have to hark back to baseball's past for today's treat. 

Some of the older members here might remember the Yankees' so-called Harmonica Incident of 1964. Younger members may have heard of it. When Phil Linz got into it on the team bus with Yogi Berra. Big news at the time. The Yankees did go on to win the pennant in '64, their last gasp for over a decade. Well, I never thought I'd ever see a Johnny Carson Tonight show monologue, in color, when Carson made jokes about it the same week that it happened.  "As soon as they went with that network, right down the ...". Starts at the 2:20 mark of this vid. The magic of YouTube ...

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

39th round pick, 9 yrs in the minors, 5 PA in the show.  Baseball can be pretty cruel.

But healthcare for life which is pretty sweet.  

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah but that is 5 more than I got

22 years ago - We had come off of a very cold and rainy spring and very suddenly Summer hit, like a switch went off, about the 3rd week in June - Sound Familiar? On this day in 1997 it was overcast, hot and very very muggy. I went to a Tigers-Mets game at the old Tiger Stadium. What I remember is that it was so humid my arm hairs were standing up. Tigers won either 8-6 or 9-7 and Melvin Nieves hit a home run into the upper deck CF bleachers, a third of the way up, something I'd never seen before, or ever again.  That's when things really got crazy. As the game ended there was this heavy gloom in the air and you knew the weather was turning. By the time I got home (20 minute drive) the sky was green and the tornado sirens went off. It was the only time I've ever gone to the basement for a storm in my adult life. A tornado skipped through Detroit, Highland Park, Hamtramck and Grosse Point. It all hit very suddenly and some people had little time to get out of the way, because some still believed that tornadoes don't hit cities. Other tornadoes touched down all around SE Michigan that day. The air is very similar today and we are expecting a hot, humid day with storms later. Be careful everyone.

EDIT:  (They added the E to Gross Pointe some time later)............

• Thanks 1

I actually have a Rod Lindsey story. I was living in Mount pleasant and working in Grand rapids in the summer of 1998. Often times I would stop by the whitecaps ballpark and take in batting practice after work.

I struck up a friendship with Skeeter Barnes who is coaching with the whitecaps at the time. I happen to be there the day that Ron Lindsay joined the whitecaps from the San Diego Padres organization, and I had a front-row seat to Skeeter giving a hitting lesson to Rod. I remember this will because it was fascinating. 

Skeeter thought rod was trying to "pull the bat" through the strike zone with his lead arm too much rather than using both arms equally and swinging through the strike zone with more power.

I think he must have listened and it must have worked, because he retired from baseball with a .333 Major league average.

46 minutes ago, cmu97 said:

I actually have a Rod Lindsey story. I was living in Mount pleasant and working in Grand rapids in the summer of 1998. Often times I would stop by the whitecaps ballpark and take in batting practice after work.

I struck up a friendship with Skeeter Barnes who is coaching with the whitecaps at the time. I happen to be there the day that Ron Lindsay joined the whitecaps from the San Diego Padres organization, and I had a front-row seat to Skeeter giving a hitting lesson to Rod. I remember this will because it was fascinating. 

Skeeter thought rod was trying to "pull the bat" through the strike zone with his lead arm too much rather than using both arms equally and swinging through the strike zone with more power.

I think he must have listened and it must have worked, because he retired from baseball with a .333 Major league average.

Fire Lloyd, hire Skeeter.

All star Jim McCann is still bad.

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

So with the Tigers giving us little to cheer about this year,  I have to hark back to baseball's past for today's treat. 

Some of the older members here might remember the Yankees' so-called Harmonica Incident of 1964. Younger members may have heard of it. When Phil Linz got into it on the team bus with Yogi Berra. Big news at the time. The Yankees did go on to win the pennant in '64, their last gasp for over a decade. Well, I never thought I'd ever see a Johnny Carson Tonight show monologue, in color, when Carson made jokes about it the same week that it happened.  "As soon as they went with that network, right down the ...". Starts at the 2:20 mark of this vid. The magic of YouTube ...

That event is chronicled in Ball Four.  As I recall Bouton was either sitting next to Linz or across the aisle from Linz when the scuffle broke out.

5 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

We found Bert's six runs.

And a .333 career batting average. 

5 hours ago, cmu97 said:

And six runs!

I guess it’s not deep enough into July or August for these to be considered the “dog days.“  but it feels pretty dog-dayish to me. 

4 hours ago, kdog said:

All star Jim McCann is still bad.

Stick him in the home run derby.  It would be great if by some fluke he won. It would underline  insubstantial nature of the entire thing. 

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Rod Lindsey was a Speedy Little Outfielder.  Randy Smith loved those.

So who was the best speedy outfielder drafted / acquired by Randy Smith?

Andres Torres? Nook Logan? Other?

37 minutes ago, cmu97 said:

So who was the best speedy outfielder drafted / acquired by Randy Smith?

Andres Torres? Nook Logan? Other?

Or Kimera Bartee?  Brian Hunter?

I don't see this game being started.  Too much rain in the area.