bobrob2004

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Ron Gardenhire?

• He will get fired before the end of the season.
    • He will get fired after the season.
    • He will play out his 3-year contract and not re-sign.
    • He will re-sign either as an extension or after his 3-year deal expires.

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I like young fogies

what about middle aged fogies?

When the Tigers first hired Gardenhire, fundamentals were stressed.  Gardy was going to make the players play the right way.  After two years and no signs of the players improving on fundamentals, now people are saying that the players are not talented enough to improve on their fundamentals and that isn't Gardy's fault.  But we should keep Gardy for another year because he is still under contract.  This means Gardy was hired under false pretenses, he can't do anything with this team that any other manager couldn't do, and people seem to be OK with that.  

Does that about sum it up? 

I guess I just don't understand the love for Gardy when he's no better than anyone else.  No one can tell me what is so special about him.

14 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

When the Tigers first hired Gardenhire, fundamentals were stressed.  Gardy was going to make the players play the right way.  After two years and no signs of the players improving on fundamentals, now people are saying that the players are not talented enough to improve on their fundamentals and that isn't Gardy's fault.  But we should keep Gardy for another year because he is still under contract.  This means Gardy was hired under false pretenses, he can't do anything with this team that any other manager couldn't do, and people seem to be OK with that.  

Does that about sum it up? 

I guess I just don't understand the love for Gardy when he's no better than anyone else.  No one can tell me what is so special about him.

I don't think people love him.  They're indifferent.

People know the team is ****, the org is ****, so the manager is irrelevant.  If you had the perfect manager what would the team do?  Win 65 games?  Managers don't make that much of a different in improvement over the course of a season.

To be clear, I personally don't think it has improved, in large part because I don't think the manager's ability to improve such a thing is all that great with the turnover in the team and besides literally nobody goes through player by player, play by play to analyze such a thing anyway. 

Whatever, it isn't a hill I give a **** about, let alone die on.

Gardy preaches things like always get in front of the ball, hit the cutoff man, etc. He says that stuff all the time. Watch some of his post game comments. He also said 100 times the guys are playing hard. A manager also has to somehow keep up morale and hope and fight - which is impossible with an historic terrible team that also endured several injuries to the best of the aaaa heap. No manager on the planet could help this **** show. Point the finger at DD and AA and Illitch and the powers that lead this franchise for the past 15-20 years. Not a manager who has been here 2. Just my 2 cents

I think all managers say those things.  The players know it too.  Managers don't make them do it.  

I don't think anybody's blaming Gardenhire for anything to be honest.... 

7 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

It'll be hard to provide any evidence that is has improved, but I can provide a ton of evidence that it hasn't. 

https://www.radio.com/articles/971theticket-detroit/tigers-bench-coach-calls-out-players-little-league-performance

Seems to me that the poor fundamentals that Liddle was throwing his players (and the manager too) under-the-bus for ..he, as bench coach, had a fair share of accountability for it to begin with.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Seems to me that the poor fundamentals that Liddle was throwing his players (and the manager too) under-the-bus for ..he, as bench coach, had a fair share of accountability for it to begin with.

Or he's telling the truth instead of pandering to the media. 

That’s actually one of the better tell-it-like-it-is articles I’ve seen written. Not much, but just the right amount of sugar-coating in the right places. There’s no byline. I wonder who wrote it.

One of the things I was wondering while reading it was the degree to which, when a team loses as much as this one did, do the players allow their minds to wander. All players lose focus at least some time, because humans, but if you’re getting crushed every night, and you expect to—and these guys certainly must have been expecting to—get crushed, then how can you hold your attention rapt to every pitch, every play, every inning, every night, for 26½ weeks running?

I’ve played on bad teams as an adult and I never let my mind wander, but then I was playing only one or two games a week for four months, and I was paying for the privilege, so yeah, I was gonna get my money’s worth. Going through this 162 days out of 187, I can only imagine how playing on a laughingstock can do a number on you mentally. 

28 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Or he's telling the truth instead of pandering to the media. 

Of course Steve Liddle was telling the truth.  Every Tiger fan already knew the Tigers were severely lacking in basic baseball fundamentals ..and that they played pathetic baseball.  

But whether telling the truth or pandering to media ..it was not Steve Liddle's place to publicly throw any Tiger player under the bus in the manner which he did.   He undermined Gardy's role ..and his authority too.  In my opinion ..a bench coach has as much accountability regarding basic baseball fundamentals as the manager does.

Steve Liddle was the bench coach.  In MLB, the beach coach is considered 2nd in command to the manager position.  A good bench coach is supposed to be 100% loyal to the manager and to his players.  There are better methods to call out the inadequacies of the players .. like in the clubhouse behind closed doors.  Then work with them every day to help them improve (..if possible.)

In my opinion ..Steve Liddle flat out blew it ..and I am glad he retired!

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Going through this 162 days out of 187, I can only imagine how playing on a laughingstock can do a number on you mentally. 

That's what separates the winners from the losers.  The reason why the Tigers lost so often is because the Tigers' organization was filled to the brim with losers ..including players, coaches, managers, and executives.  Not all .. but definitely a majority. 

Nevertheless ..unless there were some undisclosed but beneficial reasons for it ..there was no good reason for the bench coach to publicly throw his own players under the bus.  

Just now, Tigrrfan said:

That's what separates the winners from the losers.  The reason why the Tigers lost so often is because the Tigers' organization was filled to the brim with losers ..including players, coaches, managers, and executives.  Not all .. but definitely a majority. 

Nevertheless ..unless there were some undisclosed but beneficial reasons for it ..there was no good reason for the bench coach to publicly throw his own players under the bus.  

It may not be a good reason, but people do get frustrated. Besides, he was right. They sucked that night, and he said they sucked, because everyone could see that they sucked. But you’re right in implying that he has a price to pay when he does that. 

On 10/8/2019 at 7:49 PM, tiger337 said:

Liked by who?  The players did not seen to have a problem with Ausmus.  

David Price says hi.

yeah but I don't think David Price likes anyone.... he seems to be an ***.  

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

yeah but I don't think David Price likes anyone.... he seems to be an ***.  

I agree. Eck should kick his ***

It's like Yogi Berra once said...."I managed good...but boy did they play bad "

On Wednesday, October 09, 2019 at 10:49 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How do I know fundamentals weren't improved?

I know, because I watched the Tigers play this year.  

Gabe Kapler fired.  I once stood behind him for a wave runner rental in St.Petersburg Florida during the day before the Tigers played in Tampa.   He had a Michigan drivers license.  I stole his SSN from his also visible SSN card in his wallet and now have several mortgages that I applied for in his name that he doesn't even know about.  Its called Title Fraud and if you don't take steps to protect yourself you could lose your home. 

54 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Gabe Kapler fired.  I once stood behind him for a wave runner rental in St.Petersburg Florida during the day before the Tigers played in Tampa.   He had a Michigan drivers license.  I stole his SSN from his also visible SSN card in his wallet and now have several mortgages that I applied for in his name that he doesn't even know about.  Its called Title Fraud and if you don't take steps to protect yourself you could lose your home. 

I saw him at a Bellacino's while at lunch on Ford road in Dearborn.  I'm sitting there by the door and see a guy get out of a white Cadillac SUV or something like that.  I'm thinking, 'who is this douche bag'.  Bright colored suit, sun glasses... looked a real Guideo.  Then he took off his glasses and I realized it was him.  This was I guess 1999 season.

26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I saw him at a Bellacino's while at lunch on Ford road in Dearborn.  I'm sitting there by the door and see a guy get out of a white Cadillac SUV or something like that.  I'm thinking, 'who is this douche bag'.  Bright colored suit, sun glasses... looked a real Guideo.  Then he took off his glasses and I realized it was him.  This was I guess 1999 season.

His brain came highly regarded before this season.  I wonder where he lands.