bobrob2004

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Ron Gardenhire?

• He will get fired before the end of the season.
    • He will get fired after the season.
    • He will play out his 3-year contract and not re-sign.
    • He will re-sign either as an extension or after his 3-year deal expires.

No manager is going to turn the Tigers around but you shouldn't just keep a failing one just cause they're going to suck no matter what.     I want some younger coaches that have played the game in the last 30 years unlike our coaches.  Those are the guys I want influencing our prospects when they come up.  

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I wouldn’t say irrelevant but I would say less crucial. Not every great player remade himself during an offseason but a lot of them have. It wasn’t Tigers coaching that turned J.D. Martinez into an all-world hitter. He took that task on all himself.

Oh, I don't doubt there will be a player here and there that can take to the technology and diagnose and self implement corrective changes to make themselves successful.  And, actually, I would think the players would have an easier time with the technology than some of the old school coaches.  But I don't think coaches are going to go the way of the dodo bird anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would keep him away from development because I fear he would be a hit to the right side of the infield to advance the runner kinda guy.

Yeah, but hitting the ball would be an improvement.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

It seems like Gardy is a waste of talent to this team as any run of the mill manager could perform the same task.  Why did they hire Gardy in the first place?  

Who else should they have hired .. to lose?

51 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Of course not but he certainly didn't do anything to warrant keeping his job. 

Are you suggesting they fire him with a year remaining on his current contract?

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

No manager is going to turn the Tigers around but you shouldn't just keep a failing one just cause they're going to suck no matter what.     I want some younger coaches that have played the game in the last 30 years unlike our coaches.  Those are the guys I want influencing our prospects when they come up.  

Then simply wait until Gardy leaves after 2020 ..and they bring in Mike Rabelo to manage.  

When Gardy leaves ..all the other old fogies can follow him to the unemployment line.  Then let Mike bring in his own coaches.

32 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Oh, I don't doubt there will be a player here and there that can take to the technology and diagnose and self implement corrective changes to make themselves successful.  And, actually, I would think the players would have an easier time with the technology than some of the old school coaches.  But I don't think coaches are going to go the way of the dodo bird anytime soon.

I agree with you here.

Gardy's just here to act as a 'stabilizing' force.  It takes the heat off the position.  he gets to collect a check.  Not sure a young manager would want this stain on his resume.  They don't have to answer questions all the time about whether he's the right manager.  The general public accepts him as a "good" manager and that's all that is needed at the moment.  He's a soldier coming out of retirement to fulfill one last mission. 

Or he's Captain Willard.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Lloyd is Mr. Greenjeans.

No .. Lloyd is Mr Baxter!

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Who else should they have hired .. to lose?

Why not keep Ausmus? Why Gardy and not Ausmus?  What does Gardy do that Ausmus can't do?  

Gardy is liked .. Ausmus was not. 

At least the Tigers did not fire Ausmus like the Angels did.  In fact, the Tigers needlessly picked up an option year to retain Ausmus, while the Angels terminated him with 2 years remaining on his contract.

Basically, Gardy is there to fill the void after 4 years of Brad Ausmus.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

What does Gardy do that Ausmus can't do?  

Currently???

Well .. Gardy is an MLB manager. 

Ausmus is not.

24 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Gardy is liked .. Ausmus was not. 

Liked by who?  The players did not seen to have a problem with Ausmus.  

You're still dancing around the question.  Why does it have to be Gardy specifically to fill the void and not someone else?  What is so special about Gardy?  

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Why not keep Ausmus? Why Gardy and not Ausmus?  What does Gardy do that Ausmus can't do?  

Could be any number of reasons. Maybe he made an impolite remark about Mrs, Avila. Maybe he was analytics averse? Just because he isn't as old as a guy like Gardenhire doesn't mean he wasn't less willing to work with Avila's nascent analytics effort. Brad sort of radiates the impression that there is nothing you can tell him he doesn't already know better. Maybe there is some reality behind that impression. 

At any rate, there may any number of guys that could be better than Gardy, but you can't really conclude Ausmus is out only because the Tigers thought Gardenhire was going to do something that would make the team be significantly better. There are always a 1000 possible  reasons for a firing.

29 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

You're still dancing around the question.  Why does it have to be Gardy specifically to fill the void and not someone else?  What is so special about Gardy?  

Because slavery is illegal in this country 

51 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

bobrob, 

I previously posted (to you) that there is no difference between Ausmus losing and Gardy losing.  Losing is what they have both accomplished while managing the Tigers. 

And I am not dancing around anything.  My opinions about Ausmus have not changed.  

Ausmus was given 4 years of opportunity managing the Tigers .. first under Mr I and DD ..then under Chris I and Al Avila.  His unsuccessful managerial record speaks for itself! He inherited a 1st place team and managed them into a last place team.  

Gardy?  He inherited a last place team that at the time was in full rebuild mode and expected to be up to 5 years away from seriously competing just to get to .500.  

As for .''why Gardy and not Ausmus'' right now ... Hey, I did not hire either of them ..and personally, I do not care who manages them right now while they are still in the depths of a rebuild effort.  It would not bother me one iota if they fired Gardy right now.  But we both know that is not going to happen while he is still under current contract.  

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

Illadvisedhire is fatter and has whiter hair and whiskers than Ausmus.  Could come in handy at Christmas.