bobrob2004

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Ron Gardenhire?

• He will get fired before the end of the season.
    • He will get fired after the season.
    • He will play out his 3-year contract and not re-sign.
    • He will re-sign either as an extension or after his 3-year deal expires.

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

BERT.jpg

I look like the 60-year-old manicurist who was hitting on you at closing time in a bar when you were 24. You were tempted but she was a friend of your mom. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I look like the 60-year-old manicurist who was hitting on you at closing time in a bar when you were 24. You were tempted but she was a friend of your mom. 

Doesn't that make it better? 

• Haha 1

Ron Gardenhire has lost 90 or more games in each of his last 6 seasons as a manager of an MLB team.

Overall during that time ..his teams have gone 376-595 (.387).

Oh well ... ... ... Somebody's got to do it!

14 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Ron Gardenhire has lost 90 or more games in each of his last 6 seasons as a manager of an MLB team.

Overall during that time ..his teams have gone 376-595 (.387).

Oh well ... ... ... Somebody's got to do it!

Although I’m not the fan I once was of Gardenhose, It’s hard to blame the old boy for the last two years. 

20 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Slow up a little here, its Monday and I am groggy.  Are you saying he managed an MLB team in 2018 and 2019?

Does it even matter who the manager or any of the other coaches are?

It's getting harder and harder to even care about this franchise (or baseball in general).  I have this feeling that the Tigers are just in the beginning of the Dark Ages part 2 of my life.  I can see this team sucking for 12-15 years in a row.

I think they’re going to be bad for years. I’ll never lose interest in baseball though. The Detroit Titanics aren’t going to take the game from me.

• Like 1

If they don't dip into FA they will be lucky to ever contend again. Illitch is saying the right stuff about that but time will tell. 

As time goes on, I think most of the coaches are becoming irrelevant to the point where they're more likely to do harm than help. These guys are so disciplined these days and have access to so much more information. There will always be that old school guy who doesn't want to learn how to swing properly (gattis) who will still need a hitting coach to fix any mild issues but those guys are becoming more rare by the year. 

3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Does it even matter who the manager or any of the other coaches are?

It's getting harder and harder to even care about this franchise (or baseball in general).  I have this feeling that the Tigers are just in the beginning of the Dark Ages part 2 of my life.  I can see this team sucking for 12-15 years in a row.

Everyone would be suprised if it went that long. And if it did it would be multiple GMs managers, scouting failing. 

We don't play in the same division as those years, at no point was our farm system ranked as high as it is now and the illitch's spent like zero dollars in FA back then. 

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

As time goes on, I think most of the coaches are becoming irrelevant to the point where they're more likely to do harm than help. These guys are so disciplined these days and have access to so much more information. There will always be that old school guy who doesn't want to learn how to swing properly (gattis) who will still need a hitting coach to fix any mild issues but those guys are becoming more rare by the year. 

Are they becoming irrelevant, or are the tools and the way they go about coaching different than they were before?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Are they becoming irrelevant, or are the tools and the way they go about coaching different than they were before?

exactly. I was going to say that one on one instruction will never be obsolete because humans are wired to learn that way. But on second thought I would revise that down  - it's not the other person per se as much as the interactivity. You could put a robot out there, but a student, esp one learning a physical skill, needs someone or something to interact with. Until the tech get at least a couple of generations better than it is, that is going to be a coach.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Gardy plays out his contract - then Mike Rabelo gets hired as manager. 

Sounds sound.

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

I wouldn’t say irrelevant but I would say less crucial. Not every great player remade himself during an offseason but a lot of them have. It wasn’t Tigers coaching that turned J.D. Martinez into an all-world hitter. He took that task on all himself.

18 hours ago, Yoda said:

I agree... even with managers.  In the old days the manager was there to keep order.  Set rules.  Curfews, etc.  The players are walking corporations.  They have teams of people that support them.  Agents, PR, nutritionists, trainers, therapists.... They study the game on their own.  They watch video.  The coaches and managers are now filters and translators between the FO analysts and the player.  Their job is to do all the thinking so they can relay to the player what they need to know in that moment.  

I still think this org is stuck with a bunch of guys who think it's 1992.  Even the players.  I look at the playoff teams and see guys out there and they all look bigger, stronger, and better.  Our guys look like the baseball cards from 1985.  Scrawny and tepid.  

• Like 1

Why don't you guys like Gardy? His first spring training he noted almost immediately the lack of fundamentals and called for a change in player development. AA made the announcement that system change was coming, that a "Tigers way" was the goal but it was on the heels of Gardy's observation. The Tigers are losing on his clock because THEY SUCK! I like Gardy. I live in Minneapolis and have admired him for years

12 minutes ago, leflore said:

Why don't you guys like Gardy? His first spring training he noted almost immediately the lack of fundamentals and called for a change in player development. AA made the announcement that system change was coming, that a "Tigers way" was the goal but it was on the heels of Gardy's observation. The Tigers are losing on his clock because THEY SUCK! I like Gardy. I live in Minneapolis and have admired him for years

Have you actually seen a change in fundamentals?  What exactly has Gardy changed?  

I’d like to see Gardy given a role of assessing and directing processes for improving fundamentals in the lower minor league levels. I’d give him the key to the house and tell him to be a no bullsh!t guy. He impresses me as a guy that could be good in that role. All he has to work with now are hand-me-down rejects so I try to be realistic when assigning blame at this level for bone head plays.

Yeah, I can't blame Gardy for anything.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

I would keep him away from development because I fear he would be a hit to the right side of the infield to advance the runner kinda guy.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah, I can't blame Gardy for anything.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

I would keep him away from development because I fear he would be a hit to the right side of the infield to advance the runner kinda guy.

Lyndon Johnson said that was the difference between the House and Senate.

48 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Have you actually seen a change in fundamentals?  What exactly has Gardy changed?  

You can't polish a ****

2 minutes ago, leflore said:

You can't polish a ****

It seems like Gardy is a waste of talent to this team as any run of the mill manager could perform the same task.  Why did they hire Gardy in the first place?  

Gardenhire just managed arguably the worst team in MLB history, yeah I didn't expect these guys to go to the playoffs but I didn't expect them to be in the discussion for worst team ever.     He basically lost over 15 games more than what was expected, why does he get a free pass for that?  If they were expected to win 80 and he only won 65 would he still get the same pass?  The bottom line is the team was far worse than it should have been, nobody improved and they made a ton of stupid mistakes.   Is it all on him?  Of course not but he certainly didn't do anything to warrant keeping his job. 

14 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

It seems like Gardy is a waste of talent to this team as any run of the mill manager could perform the same task.  Why did they hire Gardy in the first place?  

Gardy is a babysitter, plain and simple. If you expect more than that you’ll be disappointed. A backup goalie manning the door off the ice has more responsibility than Gardy does.