bobrob2004

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Ron Gardenhire?

• He will get fired before the end of the season.
    • He will get fired after the season.
    • He will play out his 3-year contract and not re-sign.
    • He will re-sign either as an extension or after his 3-year deal expires.

I think he truth is that all the sports media people see themselves and what they do as far more central to things than they are to the players. To the players, all the media in the locker room, the post-games, the constant over hyping of the small events of a long long season, are just nuisances to be born as part of the job they actually like - which is playing the game. I would wager there is not one team in any major pro sport that would not vote to close their postgame locker room to the press given the choice, and I would guess the average ball player doesn't give 5 seconds thought to a teammate strafing one of his post game 'availabilities' . 

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

When he states a made up opinion of what one player thinks or may say in the future? Just a bitter, jealous hack who isn't good enough to even be a real sportswriter. Here is an example of his hackness from the story:

"Imagine what Gordon Beckham will report to others who might want to sign as FAs should they, next offseason, ask about the Tigers clubhouse? He’ll testify to the truth: that Cabrera is something they’ll have to overcome? And the Tigers are paying him exorbitantly for this?"

When it comes to the clubhouse chemistry, I will believe the journalists over some random fan that doesn't have a clue on what's going on in the Tigers' clubhouse.  

Seems to me that you can't handle the truth about Cabrera and his clubhouse presence.  

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think he truth is that all the sports media people see themselves and what they do as far more central to things than they are to the players. To the players, all the media in the locker room, the post-games, the constant over hyping of the small events of a long long season, are just nuisances to be born as part of the job they actually like - which is playing the game. I would wager there is not one team in any major pro sport that would not vote to close their postgame locker room to the press given the choice, and I would guess the average ball player doesn't give 5 seconds thought to a teammate strafing one of his post game 'availabilities' . 

Exactly. And how many times, during a nationally televised game on ESPN, have we seen players being interviewed in the dugout, during a game, and had sunflower seeds being thrown at them? OMG...what player will EVER want to sign with THAT team? Uhhhh... every single player who's offered more money than from other teams? And on that point, Lynn Henning, of all people, should know the Tigers aren't even going after top free agents. Who cares if the Bryce Harper type players won't sign with Detroit because Miggy teases his teammates? The Tigers aren't going after these expensive free agents anyway. And just to throw this out there? Miguel Cabrera is very well liked,  not just by his teammates but also by opposing players. So Lynn Henning getting his panties in a bunch probably had more to do with him being interrupted while asking one of his stupid questions to a bench warmer type player. But by all means, make Miggy into some type of overpaid monster. I'm sure all the message board haters will agree with that hack.

33 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

When it comes to the clubhouse chemistry, I will believe the journalists over some random fan that doesn't have a clue on what's going on in the Tigers' clubhouse.  

Seems to me that you can't handle the truth about Cabrera and his clubhouse presence.  

So....you know the truth that Lynn Henning fed you? And you believed it? If this were a true problem, it would have been picked up by many reputable sources. Or are we supposed to believe aliens live among us? It was in the National Enquirer. So I should believe it because they have an inside scoop? Get real and don't put much stock into what a bitter, washed up hack puts in print. Yes, I also get frustrated with Cabrera's lack of production. And his pay doesn't seem justified. But I'm not going to vilify him because the Lynn Hennings of the world make up an issue to make him look bad. I'll leave that to the disgruntled haters.

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So....you know the truth that Lynn Henning fed you? And you believed it? If this were a true problem, it would have been picked up by many reputable sources. Or are we supposed to believe aliens live among us? It was in the National Enquirer. So I should believe it because they have an inside scoop? Get real and don't put much stock into what a bitter, washed up hack puts in print. Yes, I also get frustrated with Cabrera's lack of production. And his pay doesn't seem justified. But I'm not going to vilify him because the Lynn Hennings of the world make up an issue to make him look bad. I'll leave that to the disgruntled haters.

The thing with Cabrera is that it's nothing new.  This was written back in 2011.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/613267-miguel-cabrera-and-all-30-mlb-teams-most-uncontrollable-player-ever#slide0

Cabrera has always had problems in the clubhouse, but fans blew it off because he was an MVP candidate and the Tigers were winning.  "Miggy being Miggy" was used as a playful throwback instead of the "oh no, this is concerning" that it should have been.  

Detroit Tigers superstar Miguel Cabrera was arrested late Wednesday on suspicion of DUI and other details involving a rough handcuffing.

He has had a tough time in the majors, as he was brought up as a very young immature boy, and has now seemingly spiraled out of control. All one can do is hope for the best for this dynamic talent, but the events of the last few years scream out for serious help.

While he has reached a dangerous level as a member of the Tigers, Cabrera’s issues all began way back as a 20-year-old in Florida.

As a Marlin, Cabrera was consistently late, would leave the clubhouse early, spurn the media, and developed a sense of entitlement and cockiness.

It was easy to foreshadow what could happen if he didn't mature very quickly, and unfortunately he did not. Partying with rivals during a pennant race and a volatile DUI arrest have put the superstar at threat level red in Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

The thing with Cabrera is that it's nothing new.  This was written back in 2011.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/613267-miguel-cabrera-and-all-30-mlb-teams-most-uncontrollable-player-ever#slide0

Cabrera has always had problems in the clubhouse, but fans blew it off because he was an MVP candidate and the Tigers were winning.  "Miggy being Miggy" was used as a playful throwback instead of the "oh no, this is concerning" that it should have been.  

Wow. Now we found an article from 2011? OK....Miggy is a monster and a clubhouse cancer. But better yet, certain posters have made the jump from him being out of control to Gardenhire losing the clubhouse because of Miggy's antics. I guess credibility isn't an issue here.  Just read it or say it and....poof, it's true.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wow. Now we found an article from 2011? OK....Miggy is a monster and a clubhouse cancer. But better yet, certain posters have made the jump from him being out of control to Gardenhire losing the clubhouse because of Miggy's antics. I guess credibility isn't an issue here.  Just read it or say it and....poof, it's true.

Miggy has a history of being a clubhouse cancer, and I have shown you evidence of it. I am holding Gardenhire responsible because he is currently the captain of this ship.  Losing control of the clubhouse was a frequent complaint with Ausmus, so Gardenhire should be held to the same standard. 

In contrast you have shown nothing that I have posted to be untrue. You have this mental image that Miggy is this lovable guy that gets along with everyone and anything that contradicts that image is simply not true. Yet, you haven't shown any evidence. 

Yes, I do not like Cabrera. I wish he wasn't on the team. But everything I have said about him is true. 

• Sad 1

I don't really care if Gardy is around for a while or not.   However, whoever is currently in charge of the Tiger's hitting, pitching, & defense should be fired.        

5 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

I don't really care if Gardy is around for a while or not.   However, whoever is currently in charge of the Tiger's hitting, pitching, & defense should be fired.        

It doesn't matter at the ML level. These guys are mostly just filling in until we get a team of talented players up here. Where I see the need, right now, of upgrading in the coaching department is in the minor leagues. Those are the kids who need to be taught how to play the game properly. Once they get up here,  yes, Gardy and company will need to be replaced. But right now he's just the modern day Ralph Houk.

30 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Miggy has a history of being a clubhouse cancer, and I have shown you evidence of it. I am holding Gardenhire responsible because he is currently the captain of this ship.  Losing control of the clubhouse was a frequent complaint with Ausmus, so Gardenhire should be held to the same standard. 

In contrast you have shown nothing that I have posted to be untrue. You have this mental image that Miggy is this lovable guy that gets along with everyone and anything that contradicts that image is simply not true. Yet, you haven't shown any evidence. 

Yes, I do not like Cabrera. I wish he wasn't on the team. But everything I have said about him is true. 

I know Cabrera has had run ins with the media and in his personal life. But I've yet to hear a bad word about him from a former teammate or any former GMs, managers or anyone else who deals with him on a baseball field/clubhouse. Ask JV about him. Or VMart. Heck, even Torii Hunter loves the guy. Cabrera, whether you like it or not, is one of the most popular players in baseball. Just not to the media so much. A growing trend in baseball, many players get tired of dealing with the media. Cabrera and Altuve and Beltre encounters were classic. So to call him a clubhouse cancer is way off base. He wouldn't have even lasted this long and gotten 2 or 3 contract extensions. Contracts that are killing this team right now with his lack of production.

6 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I'm okay with having him in the clubhouse.  As long as he stays there, picking up towels and such.  It's his being on the field that I don't like, especially if it goes on for the next four years.

The proof of Miggy being a clubhouse cancer is a few anecdotes about him as a 20 year old and an 8 year old DUI conviction. 

His despite the fact players on other teams constantly reach out to him before the game when on the field... are always interacting with him during the game... tagging and liking his social media posts....  Verlander clowned around with him. Before a game in Houston this year and posted a pic of it...  

if he was a jerk then we wouldn’t be seeing that kind of thing. 

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

The proof of Miggy being a clubhouse cancer is a few anecdotes about him as a 20 year old and an 8 year old DUI conviction. 

His despite the fact players on other teams constantly reach out to him before the game when on the field... are always interacting with him during the game... tagging and liking his social media posts....  Verlander clowned around with him. Before a game in Houston this year and posted a pic of it...  

if he was a jerk then we wouldn’t be seeing that kind of thing. 

Haters are gonna hate.  Don't ever forget Jake, insisting JV was not an ace every time he lost a game. He sure was quiet in 2011. And if Cabreta bounces back to be comeback player of the year in 2020? We'll get the same quiet response from these haters. Maybe the unhappiness should be directed at hacks like Lynn Henning?

Yes ..Haters are going to hate.  

IMO .. Lynn Henning's comments were of a weak and/or incompetent nature.  Because if Miggy truly were disrespectfully mocking his teammate during that interview  ..then why didn't Lynn ask Gordon how he felt about Miggy's actions right then and there DURING the interview?    Seems to me Miggy may have been having a bit of fun at his teammate (and good friend?) Gordon Beckham's expense.  Some of my own workplace peers often 'mockingly' make fun of each other ..sometimes even during important managerial meetings.  It is almost always viewed simply as a few individuals of the ''team' actually getting along with each other via acceptable good-natured ribbing 'outside the box' of what might otherwise be considered a restrictive culture.  

Perhaps Lynn was just butt_hurt because he thought Miggy interfered with 'his' interview?

22 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Perhaps Lynn was just butt_hurt because he thought Miggy interfered with 'his' interview?

Hammer, meet nail.

Gardenhire coming back for 2020: meh. The team is slated to lose 98+ next year, too. 

16 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Yes ..Haters are going to hate.  

IMO .. Lynn Henning's comments were of a weak and/or incompetent nature.  Because if Miggy truly were disrespectfully mocking his teammate during that interview  ..then why didn't Lynn ask Gordon how he felt about Miggy's actions right then and there DURING the interview?    Seems to me Miggy may have been having a bit of fun at his teammate (and good friend?) Gordon Beckham's expense.  Some of my own workplace peers often 'mockingly' make fun of each other ..sometimes even during important managerial meetings.  It is almost always viewed simply as a few individuals of the ''team' actually getting along with each other via acceptable good-natured ribbing 'outside the box' of what might otherwise be considered a restrictive culture.  

That's just good natured ball busting among people who are close together for so long...

There's been times when we'd walk by a conference room and see a work friend in there with people we don't know... and we stood in the window trying to get his attention or to get him to "break".  

Miggy wasn't mocking Beckham... he was having fun with him.... he's a veteran.  

26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

That's just good natured ball busting among people who are close together for so long...

There's been times when we'd walk by a conference room and see a work friend in there with people we don't know... and we stood in the window trying to get his attention or to get him to "break".  

Miggy wasn't mocking Beckham... he was having fun with him.... he's a veteran.  

and mocking the process, which is probably what got under Henning's saddle. The players all know the platitudes they are expected to regurgitate that assign false significance to events in games that are either simply matters of random chance or talent differences that there are no immediate solutions for but which can never be directly admitted as such.

Ok.  Back to Gardenhire.  I am guessing he leads the Tigers to 45 wins next season.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Ok.  Back to Gardenhire.  I am guessing he leads the Tigers to 45 wins next season.

I don't know whether to take the over or the under on that.

I have recently read a comment, maybe McCosky, to the effect that "Tiger fans like Gardenhire".  What?  Where is that coming from?  I think he's as useless as 90% of his peers.