bobrob2004

What will become of Ron Gardenhire?

33 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Ron Gardenhire?

• He will get fired before the end of the season.
    • He will get fired after the season.
    • He will play out his 3-year contract and not re-sign.
    • He will re-sign either as an extension or after his 3-year deal expires.

Are the Tigers happy with having the worst season since 2003?  Are they happy with the way Ron Gardenhire manages?  We can debate whether or not he is doing a good job, but does Al Avila and Chris Ilitch think he is doing a good job?

We all thought Brad Ausmus lost the clubhouse, but given the Cabrera/Gordon situation, I don't think Gardenhire has control of the clubhouse either.  How do you feel the players like playing for Gardenhire?

• Sad 1

Gardy is too much of a professional to quit his contract early, but I'd be shocked if he's extended.  The Tigers might be interested, for continuity purposes, but I get the impression that Gardy's attitude is, "I don't coach that ****."

Agree with TD. He’s not a quitter but he’s probably counting the days until this albatross expires.

5th option and correct answer..who cares?

• Like 1

I don't think working with young players is a hardship to most managers, of course he'd rather win but I don't think too many managers ever walk away from MLB gigs over their team's record.

But what are Ilitch and Avila looking for? I think Gardenhire does a good job with a pitching staff. I think the only pitcher on this staff who isn't doing as well as can expected is Jimenez, and he has a record of being difficult to coach going back to the minors. The hitting instruction set-up is one that Gardenhire inherited, and the roster is what Al gives him to work with. I'd be curious to see who they would bring in to replace Lloyd if they started over with Gardenhire's input. If a move is going to be make, that seems like the obvious first step. OTOH, is Hessman working under the same system/guidelines as Lloyd? - Because the Hen's are putting up a lot of crooked numbers recently.

I think this poll/discussion would be more effective if “re-sign” had been correctly typed. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think this poll/discussion would be more effective if “re-sign” had been correctly typed. 

Fixed.  I was wondering why everyone was talking about Gardy quitting when it wasn't even an intended option.

• Haha 1

He's here collecting a paycheck and the org is using him to give the appearance of something resembling legitimacy....  nobody can make this team any better so the manager is irrelevant.  Nobody talks about the manager and he lets the casual fan think it can't get any worse.  If they had some rookie in there that would be the talk in addition to the putrid play.

Outside of something external I don't see what they could fire him for.... they knew what they were getting and they know what kind of team they were giving him.  You fire managers for not living up to expectations or some malfeasance.... so far we haven't seen either.

if you bought the pablum that Gardy would bring professionalism and grit to the team, then it's on you. He's being paid handsomely to be the on-field face of a few disastrous seasons. He'll be a good soldier and claim that progress is being made.

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Are the Tigers happy with having the worst season since 2003?  Are they happy with the way Ron Gardenhire manages?  We can debate whether or not he is doing a good job, but does Al Avila and Chris Ilitch think he is doing a good job?

We all thought Brad Ausmus lost the clubhouse, but given the Cabrera/Gordon situation, I don't think Gardenhire has control of the clubhouse either.  How do you feel the players like playing for Gardenhire?

I predict that he'll become older and fatter but not smarter.

Ron Gardenhire will manage out the string, and then the Tigers will promote Doug Mientkiewicz for both organizational continuity and as a reward for his loyalty. 

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Ron Gardenhire will manage out the string, and then the Tigers will promote Doug Mientkiewicz for both organizational continuity and as a reward for his loyalty. 

and then he'll get fired when the prospects aren't actually as good as we were told, then we'll get a guy someone else who will pick up the few remnants and a big FA signing or two and lead us to the promised land.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

and then he'll get fired when the prospects aren't actually as good as we were told, then we'll get a guy someone else who will pick up the few remnants and a big FA signing or two and lead us to the promised land.

Ralph Houk to Les Moss to Sparky Anderson?

• Like 2

No one has a magic wand to turn poop into gold and neither does Gardenhire. And I don’t like the “innovation” mantra when it comes to baseball any more than I do when it comes from a CEO.  

They are not going to “innovate” their way out of this situation anymore than they are going to manage their way out of it. 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, IdahoBert said:

No one has a magic wand to turn poop into gold and neither does Gardenhire. And I don’t like the “innovation” mantra when it comes to baseball any more than I do when it comes from a CEO.  

They are not going to “innovate” their way out of this situation anymore than they are going to manage their way out of it. 

I feel much more positively disposed to Gardenhire than I ever was toward Ausmus, but there are still times, like letting the Cabrera HR miscall go unchallenged the other night, where he leaves me wondering where the 'ef his brain is.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, bobrob2004 said:

I missed the Cabrera/Gordon situation. What is this about?

I'm a Gardy fan, have been back to his Twins days. I hope he stays. He noticed gaps in player development and talked about a new "Tigers way" his first spring training, pointing out things needed to change from rookie ball up to the bigs. I think he may decide it's time to enjoy life with his grandkids and walk away. But I hope he stays.

49 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

A Lynn Henning article from THREE MONTHS AGO? 

"According to former Detroit News writer Lynn Henning..."

Stop right there. A bitter ex- sports-writer has very, very little credibility. That's the reason most fans haven't heard much about this non-issue. If you, or any other fan, wants to hate on Cabby, that's your right. But to find a made up article from a known hack as your reference is very weak.

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A Lynn Henning article from THREE MONTHS AGO? 

"According to former Detroit News writer Lynn Henning..."

Stop right there. A bitter ex- sports-writer has very, very little credibility. That's the reason most fans haven't heard much about this non-issue. If you, or any other fan, wants to hate on Cabby, that's your right. But to find a made up article from a known hack as your reference is very weak.

Well, I made my post 3 months ago.  It was relevant at the time.  And I disagree that the article is "made up."  The incident really did happen.  

7 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Well, I made my post 3 months ago.  It was relevant at the time.  And I disagree that the article is "made up."  The incident really did happen.  

When he states a made up opinion of what one player thinks or may say in the future? Just a bitter, jealous hack who isn't good enough to even be a real sportswriter. Here is an example of his hackness from the story:

"Imagine what Gordon Beckham will report to others who might want to sign as FAs should they, next offseason, ask about the Tigers clubhouse? He’ll testify to the truth: that Cabrera is something they’ll have to overcome? And the Tigers are paying him exorbitantly for this?"