Deleterious

Pistons sign Derrick Rose

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This is so Pistons. Are we sure Joe D is still not behind a curtain somewhere?

Rose's legs are in worse shape than most medical school anatomy class cadavers......

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/chi-derrick-roses-many-injuries-and-the-impact-on-the-bulls-20141121-htmlstory.html

And that only goes to 2015-16.  

In 2016-17 he played 64 games.  20017-18 he played 25 games.  Last year he played 51 games.

I think in the last 7 seasons he has played something like an average of 43 games a year.  And that is taking out the season where he missed all 82 games with the ACL tear.  

The contract is small enough that it really doesn’t make me super upset or anything, but what does it do for you? He’s not a young prospect, he’s not durable enough to cover the inevitable Reggie injury, but clearly they think they can take a chance on his health and "win now". Problem is they keep beating their heads against this same “win now” wall and it doesn’t work with these players. Nothing changes here until you move some of the “big three”, starting with Dre. 

I really hate this team. Other than Blake, there is nothing to like about it. Nothing.

27 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

The contract is small enough that it really doesn’t make me super upset or anything, but what does it do for you?

exactly. They need *good* guard play to give the front court investment any chance of paying off. Plugging in the likes of Reggie, Ish, and now Rose doesn't cut it.

Guess I should be glad we didn’t pay the 17M/yr that the Suns just gave Rubio. Wow. Crazy money getting thrown around right now. 

Stan would have given him the full MLE for three years...so...I suppose progress is being made.   

Not even the full MLE for a guy who had a great comeback year. Yeah, health is a concern. But if you are confident in your medical staff, you take that low-risk/high-reward chance.

Del - would you say Rose was a legit candidate for 6MOY? If so, how can you hate on the Pistons giving him less than the MLE? 

14 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Not even the full MLE for a guy who had a great comeback year. Yeah, health is a concern. But if you are confident in your medical staff, you take that low-risk/high-reward chance.

Del - would you say Rose was a legit candidate for 6MOY? If so, how can you hate on the Pistons giving him less than the MLE? 

He probably didn't play enough games.  And if he had, his numbers probably would have tanked.  Because in  Janruary he shot 19% from three, February he shot 7% from three, and March he shot 0% in 5 games.

He could be a league MVP candidate and it won't matter since he has only averaged about 43 games a year the last decade.  

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

He probably didn't play enough games.  And if he had, his numbers probably would have tanked.  Because in  Janruary he shot 19% from three, February he shot 7% from three, and March he shot 0% in 5 games.

He could be a league MVP candidate and it won't matter since he has only averaged about 43 games a year the last decade.  

He's not a good back court defender and he's not a good shooter,  I don't see how he is what the Pistons need even at last year's higher performance level.

I don't think it's that bad of a signing with it only being 2 years. We need to face the fact that they have to do everything they can to compete in the Blake Griffin window otherwise there's no point in having him. Nobody is taking the Pistons bad contracts so just ride them out and try to compete the best they can. I prefer it all to be blown up right now but that's just not feasible.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

He's not a good back court defender and he's not a good shooter,  I don't see how he is what the Pistons need even at last year's higher performance level.

Yep.  He does create offense for himself at a good rate which is something the Pistons desperately need.  But again, who cares if he is only going to play every other game.  

7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't think it's that bad of a signing with it only being 2 years. We need to face the fact that they have to do everything they can to compete in the Blake Griffin window otherwise there's no point in having him. Nobody is taking the Pistons bad contracts so just ride them out and try to compete the best they can. I prefer it all to be blown up right now but that's just not feasible.

If they were interested in competing now, they should have drafted the most NBA ready guard they could have in the 1st round. It looks like a management without a plan to have conducted the draft then did and then make a hope and a prayer signing like Rose. Yes, it's not enough money to be a big deal, but it's still another indication to me that the Pistons have no real idea what to do with the situation they are in. Now if they manage to move Drummond for a guy to play with Blake in front of Rose, that would be interesting.

I would feel better about the Rose deal if Detroit had shown any ability or willingness to manage a players load.  They ran Griffin into the ground last year and it bit them in the butt when he was hurt for the playoffs.

Griffin needs to play about 70-72 games next year.  He only played 75 last year, but he missed 4 games at the end of the year due to his injury.  So he was on pace for 79 games played, which is way too high.

Rose is worse and probably needs to be in the 60-65 game range.  No back to back games for him at all  unless maybe one of them was in the 10-12 minute range.  

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If they were interested in competing now, they should have drafted the most NBA ready guard they could have in the 1st round. It looks like a management without a plan to have conducted the draft then did and then make a hope and a prayer signing like Rose. Yes, it's not enough money to be a big deal, but it's still another indication to me that the Pistons have no real idea what to do with the situation they are in. Now if they manage to move Drummond for a guy to play with Blake in front of Rose, that would be interesting.

I don't see the correlation between the draft and the current team. You draft the player who will be best long term, not a player who will make an impact sooner. This core isn't going anywhere right now so they might as well make the best of it and try to compete with this group the best they can.

It's only a 2 year deal so it lines up with the timeline of the Reggie and Drummond expiring contracts. It's a low risk deal. I'm not a big fan of it either but it's not the disaster some are painting it to be.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

This core isn't going anywhere right now so they might as well make the best of it and try to compete with this group the best they can.

The counter argument is that hanging around the 7-8 playoff spot traps your team in long term purgatory with no way out. The current system says you have to get better or get worse. I'm not a fan of that system but it is what it is.

They will try to middle compete while Blake's contract is running and see what happens. Drummond will opt out after next year and leave and Jackson will be gone. With the smoothing of lottery odds, tanking may not be a viable solution. And cap space is a bit meaningless in Detroit.

Everyone seems so sure that Drummond will opt out. I suppose he could do that in order to get the security of a long term deal, but I'm not sure he gets 28M somewhere else, so he could just as easily opt-in. I hope you're all right and he leaves after this year (if we can't trade him for something first)...hopefully the nightmare scenario doesn't happen and Gores brings him back for 4 or 5 more years.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I would feel better about the Rose deal if Detroit had shown any ability or willingness to manage a players load.  They ran Griffin into the ground last year and it bit them in the butt when he was hurt for the playoffs.

The simple counter to this is that without running him into the ground they wouldn't have had to worry about the playoffs.

In general you're correct though.

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Everyone seems so sure that Drummond will opt out. I suppose he could do that in order to get the security of a long term deal, but I'm not sure he gets 28M somewhere else, so he could just as easily opt-in. I hope you're all right and he leaves after this year (if we can't trade him for something first)...hopefully the nightmare scenario doesn't happen and Gores brings him back for 4 or 5 more years.

Gores won't go into the tax for a middling team. I don't know it seems like Drummond could get at least $25 million/year on a 3-4 year deal if he opts out. But maybe all the teams will cap space won't spend.