chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

I will have 1 or 2 a day... maybe more on the weekend.  But most days 1. 

At baseball games I limit myself to 2 now.  

I told my doc and he was fine with it.  It's great having a doctor your own age with kids, etc.  he gets it.  Plus he sees my results from working out and running and sees the benefits there.  Told my my EKG was what he'd show med students as the perfect EKG.  My resting heart rate, pulse, BP, other numbers are all in the good-great range.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Well, I still drink a lot more than you do.  I've had at least ten drinks in the last two weeks as opposed to the last ten years.  Usually have a couple with my teammates after a baseball game, two or three if I'm at my club for the evening or at a bar to watch a game.  But almost never more than three in a sitting.  (St. Patrick's Day is a notable exception.)

When I was a lot younger, as in my late teens and twenties, I, like many in my circle of friends and close acquaintances, often drank to get drunk.  I outgrew that pretty quickly, although a bunch of people I hung out with didn't.  And even back then, I was something of a drinking snob, as one of the lessons from my father that actually took was that I should drink good stuff, not krap.  I drink what I like, which at the moment is mainly craft beer and good whiskey -- high-end bourbon, single-malt scotch, and single-pot-still Irish.  (What I drink after my team's baseball games tends to be a little more low-brow, as many of my teammates have an inexplicable  fondness for insipid beer like Coors Light or even the toxic Bud Light.  Drinking that swill in moderation is especially easy for me.)

Depending on my schedule and the time of year, I may go a week or two without drinking anything, or I may drink several nights in a row.  But never enough to be drunk or to have a hangover or trouble getting up in the morning.   Or to go to jail.

The funny thing is I made no conscious effort to not drink, I just didn't.   Every now and then we'll be out for a meal and I'll want a nice cold beer and order one, they usually taste good I just don't have the desire for another.

I don't have a thing against anyone drinking.  My kids are all social drinkers, Dad just doesn't join them.   One of the silliest things I do given my drinking habits is reading the garagiste newsletter and offer(s) every day.  I think it's just because I respect his passion for wine.

I'm generally a live and let live guy - so circling back to Miggy.  As long as it doesn't affect his play on the field I really don't care.  As a fan I may not be entitled to his best effort. but I do think his teammates and the people paying him a princely wage are -  and I don't think we've seen that over the last few years.

Cabrera post AS break:

3-36, 1 2b, 1 RS, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 10 K

.083 Batting

.131 OBP

.111 SLG

.242 OPS

Yuck

Miggy with 5 Home Run's is in a massive tie for 272 in MLB

Miggy with 37 RBI is in a tie for 157th in MLB

Miggy is in a tie with -0.3 WAR

Miggy with a .709 OPS is in 129th in MLB for qualified hitters (enough PA to qualify for the batting title)

Miggy with a .367 SLG is 145th for qualified hitters 

Note, there are only 151 qualified hitters at this time

1 hour ago, kj2018 said:

Cabrera post AS break:

.083 Batting

.131 OBP

.111 SLG

.242 OPS

Yuck

He'll get better once the weather warms up.  

1 hour ago, kj2018 said:

Miggy with 5 Home Run's is in a massive tie for 272 in MLB

That's a good one.

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

I see Mr. Dead Wood is sitting today.

He needs a rest, their last day off was Monday and he played on Saturday.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, kj2018 said:

Cabrera post AS break:

.083 Batting

.131 OBP

.111 SLG

.242 OPS

Yuck

Now 4-44, with 12K.

too bad he has no protection in the lineup to help him.

His last 1-8 with a single helped boost his avg and ops a couple of points 

Right now he's performing at below replacement level. Which means he's less than the rest of the AAA team. Could they just send him to AA to work on his game and bring up a better replacement..

6 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

If he's this awful next April and May...you have to DFA him, right?

i'll be stunned if they do anything with cabrera other than publicly defend him and say how great he is.

we have 4 more years of this thanks to that stupid extension.

its a shame that one of the greatest hitters in franchise history is going to spend the twilight of his career as a guy fans hate because management was stupid enough to sign him to that extension.

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i'll be stunned if they do anything with cabrera other than publicly defend him and say how great he is.

we have 4 more years of this thanks to that stupid extension.

its a shame that one of the greatest hitters in franchise history is going to spend the twilight of his career as a guy fans hate because management was stupid enough to sign him to that extension.

Replace "management" with "ownership".

Miguel's sudden decline is still so surreal to me.  He went from a 12 year stretch where in 11 of them he was a 5+ win player, never spent any time on the injured list and was arguably the most consistent player in the league to suddenly becoming hampered by injuries and essentially turning into a replacement level player at the age of 33.   

25 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Miguel's sudden decline is still so surreal to me.  He went from a 12 year stretch where in 11 of them he was a 5+ win player, never spent any time on the injured list and was arguably the most consistent player in the league to suddenly becoming hampered by injuries and essentially turning into a replacement level player at the age of 33.   

Are we sure of his real age?  I'm serious here.  Isn't is a thing for Latin players to lie about their age so that they can get signed?  How do we know that he is not older than he claims to be?    

If Cabrera has made no changes in his approach to his conditioning in response to his chronic knee issues and he's still chugging long with a .600 OPS....I could definitely see him getting DFA'd.    I think the fan base would largely approve of it

Do people realistically think the Tigers will pay him $120 million to go away? They didn't even DFA Martinez in the last year of his contract. He isn't blocking anybody and they aren't in contention, so I see no reason to DFA him. He's still a hall of fame caliber so there is still reason to think something may click and he may be serviceable at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

If Cabrera has made no changes in his approach to his conditioning in response to his chronic knee issues and he's still chugging long with a .600 OPS....I could definitely see him getting DFA'd.    I think the fan base would largely approve of it

I think he'll find a way to go on the DL or retire due to a medical issue before the Tigers will outright release him.  

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Do people realistically think the Tigers will pay him $120 million to go away? They didn't even DFA Martinez in the last year of his contract. He isn't blocking anybody and they aren't in contention, so I see no reason to DFA him. He's still a hall of fame caliber ...

He is not still a HOF caliber player, not even close. Yes, he’ll go in on his past accomplishments but his current performance is nowhere near HOF worthy. He is a liability on the field and on payday. 

I agree that there is no way they are going to cut him nor should they atleast at this point.  As mentioned he isn't really blocking anybody and as far as we know he isn't some clubhouse cancer so until we plan on fielding a competitive team and/or he becomes a negative distraction to young players it makes no sense to just pay him to go away. 

Also despite his struggles your casual fan may still pay to see him, they may not even realize how bad he is.  **** up until his recent struggles the past 2 weeks he was batting .300 so they may see that on the scoreboard or newspaper and just assume he hasn't been that bad.  

He's blocking Stewart at DH...Stewart is blocking Reyes in LF.   I'm opretty sure we'd score more runs and give up fewer if he made that switch.

In my opinion...he is not HOF  caliber  any longer.  He will go in..deservedly so...on past accomplishments.  I will go so far as to say his days of being an asset to the team in any capacity other than marketing his name are done and that value will quickly diminish once reality catches up to perception and people see that he isn't even a mediocre player.  He's not "bouncing back" not next year...not ever.

I would love for him to prove me wrong...but nothing in his history suggests that he has the capability to  drop the bulk that's exacerbating the crippling deterioration in  his knee.  Stick a fork in his **** and turn him over...he's done

6 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think he'll find a way to go on the DL or retire due to a medical issue before the Tigers will outright release him.  

I could see them find a way for him to exit with some dignity.