chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

43 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

When did I ask why people were interested?

OK - slight semantic turn - you asked why it was any 'business'.  If you want to split the Venn diagram between what we consider our 'business' and what are 'interested in' I won't argue the point. Looking back at your original post if want to take 'business' as close to 'affecting one' that's fair and a difference. But if so I'd simply say reformulate that obviously people's interests are always  far wider than just what affects them directly. I suppose that can be both a good or bad thing - depending.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I can absolutely be interested in what goes on in my neighbor's bedroom but it isn't my business.

So? If your neighbors manage to make their bedroom  a topic of public record are you under obligation to close your eyes to it and pretend it's not out there? I'm missing the core of your objection. 

I don't think I suggested someone has to be blind to it.

I think I personally am under the obligation to not be an ***hole or **** to somebody for their foibles, just as I would like the same courtesy extended to me.

Or, at a minimum, I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't impact me.  Seems small and petty.

I struggle with the idea that just because someone is famous or wealthy it is more acceptable to be snarky when it turns out their feet are made out of clay.  Or it should be brought up when they are struggling professionally while ignoring it when they are performing well.

Back to your query, in the circumstance that something becomes public that normally is private, I guess my measuring stick is if either party would have liked it to stay private or find it embarrassing now that it is public, I try to respect that.  Seems to me the decent thing to me to do. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Or, at a minimum, I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't impact me.  Seems small and petty.

I struggle with the idea that just because someone is famous or wealthy it is more acceptable to be snarky when it turns out their feet are made out of clay.

Also, back to your query, even if something that normally is kept private but becomes public,  I guess my measuring stick is if either party would have liked it to stay private or find it embarrassing, I try to respect that.  Seems the decent thing to me to do. 

I don't know. In any case,  I will take issue with the premise that is a so much of a double standard based on Cabrera's status in this case. I don't think if my non-famous neighbors was found out to be living a double life I would feel any differently about it or treat it any differently or more or less snarkily, it's just  that no-one else would know what I was talking about so it wouldn't as likely become a topic of conversation to a third party.

There is also the larger question about public morality here. Not to be a prude, but it's not just embarrassment,  children's lives are being bounced around here, hostage to adult vanities. I do not find that small and petty. I think there is too much acceptance of betrayal in our culture and I think Cabrera or anyone else famous or not, who did what he has done deserves to be publicly criticized for it. We may all have feet of clay, but cultural re-enforcement is useful if you don't want want culture to collapse. We are seeing enough of that around us to make the point pretty obvious I think.

Would you speak disparagingly about your neighbor having two families at the office?

I just couldn't feature doing that in any circumstance unless they wronged me and somehow their peccadillo was tied into how they had wronged me.

If someone brought that up in my office, I'd probably lose some respect for them.

With regards to Miguel's illegitimate kids, yes, that sucks for them.  OTOH, their mother will have resources available to give them a leg up that very few children of two parent families have.  Not saying that makes it right or OK (it doesn't), but it isn't like they are Oliver Twist either.

I also do not think our culture will collapse if we decide not to publically shame Miguel Cabrera or others like him.

In a "it offends me as a comedian" sense... this story isn't interesting to me.  That's why I don't care.  I also don't think it's really news or relevant.  I don't care about his private life any more than I care about the private life of a musical conductor at the DSO or the guy who drives a bus.

I'm not a nosy person.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Would you speak disparagingly about your neighbor having two families at the office?

that's a question that needs parsing more carefully than I have the inclination to do here, but would I talk about it at the office? - if it had become public and come up in conversation I don't see why not. Would I 'disparage him'. Depends on a lot of other factors and definitions, I would certainly be apt to disparage his behavior.

Even if was a social setting, like a family gathering or a block party - I just think I'd steer clear of it.

Just not a fan of gossip or criticizing others' private lives.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Even if was a social setting, like a family gathering or a block party - I just think I'd steer clear of it.

Just not a fan of gossip or criticizing others' private lives.

OK, let me pose a purely rhetorical question. If we live in a post religious society, how do right and wrong get defined for that society if not by the collective judgment of that society? If one accepts that premise (one is certainly free not to, but I'll continue), then how does that judgment ever become known if people feel constrained not to make them? I understand the tension here, no-one likes judgmental people. Even in the Christian context we are exhorted not to judge. Yet we are also obligated to establish a safe, healthy, just society for ourselves and our children so collectively some one has to be willing make some judgments somewhere about what should and should not be done. No answers here, just ruminating that there seem to be insoluble paradoxes.

My take:

He was once a great player.

He is now rapidly becoming a crappy player.

Two parties agreed to a contract with presumably with neither party being under duress and both parties being sane.

When the Tigers find a player that gives them a better performance than the current Miggy, release him as it improves the team.

The 2 parties owe each other nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I can absolutely be interested in what goes on in my neighbor's bedroom but it isn't my business.

It isn't my busines, either, but since I've already bought the spy cameras and paid the black-bag guy to install them, I might as well get some use out of them.

I don’t think this is “interesting” if Cabrera wasn’t already viewed negatively by a large portion of the tigers fan base. 

If he was great, the story would be out there still, but few would bring it up. 

Reminds me of the DUI stuff or the hotel thing back when he was a good player.  It happened. People talked about it. But it was quickly forgotten. 

42 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think this is “interesting” if Cabrera wasn’t already viewed negatively by a large portion of the tigers fan base. 

If he was great, the story would be out there still, but few would bring it up. 

Reminds me of the DUI stuff or the hotel thing back when he was a good player.  It happened. People talked about it. But it was quickly forgotten. 

I won't argue your general point but I wouldn't describe the DUI as having been quickly forgotten. It still lurks there in people's awareness about Cabrera.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I won't argue your general point but I wouldn't describe the DUI as having been quickly forgotten. It still lurks there in people's awareness about Cabrera.

It’s only brought up now because he sucks now. 

30 million a year.

.02 WAR

I don't feel bad for him. The man had a secret 2nd family, and while I don't care that is a super slimy thing to do. 

The fact the Tigers are celebrating him every Monday is a joke.  I really don't care the the Tigers promoting him as some great community stalwart. But I am going to joke and point it out. If your offended by that, or claim your better than me because you don't care, that is your prerogative. I'm free to criticize the Tigers in their decision to use the .02 WAR DH who makes 30 million in promotions. 

Miggy Monday's should be $2 beer night so people can drive home tanked. 

The reports indicate that Cabrera forced at least two cars off the road due to his reckless driving. The Range Rover he was piloting caused a Wal-Mart tractor trailer to go off of a main road, and another car to swerve on the grass to avoid a head on collision with the inebriated Major Leaguer.

Both accidents could have easily killed all drivers involved.

https://www.businessinsider.com/miguel-cabreras-dui-somehow-just-got-worse-2011-4

4d5d2a9649e2ae8f20010000-320-240.jpg

• Like 1

You forgot to mention the fact that while the lush was intoxicated during one of his sh!t faced adventures he raged at someone, “Do you know who I am!” What a pr!ck!!!

• Haha 1

Alcoholism is a disease and typically leads to bad behavior.  I hope he can beat it, because it’s a lifelong challenge.

well this thread certainly took an unexpected turn.

In a return to topic, my vote is 'other'. I'm going to guess the most likely outcome is the Prince Fielder medical retirement. If he can't come back in better health next season, my prediction would be he'll end on the 60 day at some point before the 20 ASB, and stay there for the rest of the contract.

Even when I was a youngster around the age of 10, I was taught not to look at famous athletes or movie stars as role models. They do one thing very well and get compensated tremendously for it. Doesn't mean they're smarter, nicer or more generous than the rest of us. Just as often as not it's the opposite. So I don't care about an athlete's marriage, a singer's politics, or where an actor went to school.

• Thanks 1

The Tigers will wait one more year to see what's left in the tank. Then buy out this ridiculous contract. The shame will stain the Illich's family name for sure but it is necessary. The poor old man just wanted a championship and had to make his star happy.

Athletes are role models to the extent that we can look at the singular focus and hard work...even for Miggy...it took for them to fully develop the talents they were born with and learn something about the value of work.  "The Grind" is the popular cliche.

You can also get that from listening to Denis Bouriakov play the flute or watching Michelle Lewin parade around in a bikini.....

14 hours ago, Shelton said:

It’s only brought up now because he sucks now. 

Correct.  The DUI and illegitimate children were ok when he was hitting.  Now they are issues.