chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Based on?

My mistake.  I way overestimated his net worth based upon what his career MLB earnings will eventually amount to.  ($400m+)

Several sources show his current net worth within the $120m to $150m range.

21 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Based on?

Based on how many more secret girlfriends he has to pay child support to.  

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How many has he?

Only the shadows know.

20 hours ago, 1776 said:

Only the shadows know.

Given the very large number of illegitimage children in the southern Florida and Detroit areas, chances are probably pretty good that quite a few of them have sprung from our hero's flabby loins.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Given the very large number of illegitimage children in the southern Florida and Detroit areas, chances are probablty pretty good that quite a few of them sprung from our hero's flabby loins.

Can you present any pending lawsuits that might substantiate such a belief?

He isn’t blocking anyone right now. There is no reason to cut him until there is someone to replace him with. Tigers are going to pay him regardless. 

It’s one less hole to fill with marginal prospects, AAAA players or the like. 

Hopefully by 2021 someone is making a push for the roster who can replace Miguel.

Also, I can see a benefit of holding on to Miguel. There should be a “Blended” theme night. Step dads,  illegitimate children, 2nd wives, etc get outfield reserved seats and a hot dog for $17.69. Following a game post game concert

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Can you present any pending lawsuits that might substantiate such a belief?

4935DDFD00000578-0-image-a-39_15186230413f6082b6c7db8b9251354b1e3c78d261.gif

• Like 1

Never ceases to amaze me how inept some people are at reading comprehension. 

Truly, ..the dumbing down of the population has been fulfilled to a very large degree.

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Never ceases to amaze me how inept some people are at reading comprehension. 

Truly, ..the dumbing down of the population has been fulfilled to a very large degree.

Yer welcome.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

There are few things I care less about than the fact he has an illegitimate kid.

Please try to control your outrage, children read this board.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

There are few things I care less about than the fact he has an illegitimate kids.

FIFY

Yes, I really don’t care. But the fact the Tigers have Miggy Mondays and act like he is some pillar of the community is laughable.

With his inflated salary and last a I checked .02 WAR, well people are going to make jokes.  30 million, this year alone. He can afford to take the bad humor.

Miguel has volunteered considerable time to work with disabled kids over the years.  Not sure why that would be dismissed or is less admirable because he has illegitimate kidS.

You say you don't really care, but you make multiple posts about it, so I'd suggest that belies that statement.

And yes, he is grossly overpaid, and will be open to criticism as a consequence.  But what I don't quite understand is if having illegitimate children is such a big deal, why would it be ignored if he is performing?  I mean, the two shouldn't be related at all, correct?

I couldn't care less about an athlete's private life in that regard. That's between him and his family.  It's really none of our business. That's not to say reporters shouldn't cover the story but there's a line that can be crossed into a tabloid nature... unlike a person's drug or alcohol abuse issues.

Athletes have lots of opportunities with women... always have.  These things happen. Young fit players with money who spend a lot of time away from their spouse or girlfriend or don't have one and just like to have fun.  

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Miguel has volunteered considerable time to work with disabled kids over the years.  Not sure why that would be dismissed or is less admirable because he has illegitimate kidS.

You say you don't really care, but you make multiple posts about it, so I'd suggest that belies that statement.

And yes, he is grossly overpaid, and will be open to criticism as a consequence.  But what I don't quite understand is if having illegitimate children is such a big deal, why would it be ignored if he is performing?  I mean, the two shouldn't be related at all, correct?

Well, to be fair, leading a complete double life with two 'wives' and families simultaneously for literally years does rise somewhat above the usual circumstances of the average child born out of wedlock. It moves the situation out of a more mundane, commonly understood self-centeredness or lack of impulse control into a realm where it's more about narcissism, or entitlement or  maybe just opens a window to a form of Machismo thinking that points to a greater cultural mismatch that is ever assumed. Also interesting how once it was all in the open, he largely ceded primacy back to Roseangel. Was that decision a cultural imperative to him, or is he just an easily dominated man? Or simple a monetary one? So there are any number of things in the story that make it more newsworthy and psychologically interesting to me. That he is a Tiger ballplayer doesn't even figure in any of that.

Why is it any of our business?

Also, how does it affect us in a meaningful way?

I understand it is atypical, but I don't get the sense that this was a story, or people comment on it to the extent that they do, because it is atypical.  I get the sense it is only brought up to take the guy down a peg.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It didn't become a story because of his abysmal performance on the field.  It became a story when he tried to go cheap in his support of Other Mrs. Cabrera and their kids and she hauled him into court over it.  That was bound to make the news, and there was no way that he was going to come out looking good and not be  criticized and become the butt of jokes over it.

When you sow your seeds, you reap the results.  And if you're a celebrity or public figure, those results will get media attention.  As well as causing people to make sport of you.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Why is it any of our business?

As Alexander Pope said, "The proper study of mankind is man"?

Human behavior is always interesting and possibly useful to see and understand better in terms of it's complexity and breadth and contradictions. It's not like any of us invaded his privacy to learn any of this, the story is all public court records and public statements by people involved. 

I can't speak for why other people find it interesting. Obviously schadenfreude plays a part whenever the rich or privileged are found out to be compromised. I find this situation mostly amusing because whenever deceit  comes undone in spectacular fashion, it helps perpetuate my illusion that there may be some kind of justice in the universe....xD

The day some meaningful thought is put into him as his behaviors, as opposed to disparaging comments made in the attempt at humor, I'll put some weight to the idea that the general interest in this subject is largely to better understand the human condition.

Otherwise, come the **** on.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The day some meaningful thought is put into him as his behaviors, as opposed to disparaging comments made in the attempt at humor, I'll put some weight to the idea that the general interest in this subject is largely to better understand the human condition.

You asked why people are interested. As human beings we find what other human beings do interesting whether it's high brow or low. It's no different than every dog wanting to smell every other dog's asz, really.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The day some meaningfhe uhe l thought is put into him as his behaviors, as opposed to disparaging comments made in thhe the he tempt at humor, I'll put some weight to the idea that the general interest in this subject is largely to better understand the human condition.

I don't make jokes or disparaging comments about him to better understand the human condition or to cure any of the ills of the world. I do it just because Six gotta be Six.  (And, admittedly, I'm a Tiger fan but no longer a Miggy fan.)