chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't even know if it is an issue of conditioning as it is diet.

It gets progressively harder to lose weight with just exercise as you age. 

No kidding.

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

No kidding.

He is 36 and plays baseball every day. He could do better with his food and drink intake. Truth is, he makes 82K a day every day and probably could give a s***.

As much as we've heard from Miggy on how he feels..

Miguel Cabrera blasts criticism of his leadership: 'You don’t know what’s going on here'

But the strike zone was merely one of his talking points on a day in which the Tigers finished in a deeper first-half hole than any in Cabrera’s time here. About the upcoming trade deadline, he implored the front office not to trade Boyd and spoke positively about the future, which contractually, he remains very much a part of.

“We’re not going to trade Boyd. Maybe Nick (Castellanos), maybe (Shane Greene),” Cabrera said. “But I mean, we got so much talent in the minor leagues and we got picks. When the owner says, ‘OK, we’re going to spend some money with this young talent,’ then we’re going to raise the game. I don’t worry about that.”

52 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

“We’re not going to trade Boyd. Maybe Nick (Castellanos), maybe (Shane Greene),” Cabrera said. “But I mean, we got so much talent in the minor leagues and we got picks. When the owner says, ‘OK, we’re going to spend some money with this young talent,’ then we’re going to raise the game. I don’t worry about that.”

The last sentence makes you think that Chris I has been in communication with at least Cabrera, on the rebuild plans.  For all of the criticism towards young Ilitch, I do think that will be the plan--I have a buddy who is friends with him, and he has said as much--that we will suck through 2020, and then the team will invest to supplement the players that they develop internally.

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The last sentence makes you think that Chris I has been in communication with at least Cabrera, on the rebuild plans.  For all of the criticism towards young Ilitch, I do think that will be the plan--I have a buddy who is friends with him, and he has said as much--that we will suck through 2020, and then the team will invest to supplement the players that they develop internally.

They are going to have to invest in quite a lot.  Their track record for developing players internally is pretty lousy.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:51 PM, Hart said:

Would it be worthwhile for the Tigers to cut him and pay him 30 million to produce for another team?  I think that is the question here.  There may be an argument for that if he is a liability in the clubhouse.  It would suck watching him hit historical milestones for another team but ultimately I want the Tigers to do what is best to get this thing turned around quickest.   

Why would another team take him?  What exactly does he offer?

He has zero power, he is a guy that hits bloops over the infield for singles, he offers no defensive skill, he is slow, clogs up the bases, and where are you going to play him?

Despite hitting around .300, he has no value playing first base, and his lack of power isn't going to get him in the lineup as DH on 14 of the 15 AL clubs.

I have said it before, the guy doesn't care, is going to get even bigger, get hurt a lot, etc.  He has never worked out his entire life.  The guy was just one of the naturally greatest hitters in the history of baseball, but eventually that talent gets eroded after not staying in shape.  

I've gotten to where I don't much care for the guy, but it's too early to write off Cabrera's effectiveness as a hitter. His horrific start continues to hold down his numbers, obscuring that since around May1 his hitting has done nothing but continually improve - his June OPS was up to 850. It's been 900 in his last 60 AB.  IF he begins to find an accommodation to the knee that allows him more regularly to pick up his front foot and drive the way he did on his most recent HR, there will be more power in the second half. (e.g. he is working on opening his stance, which reduces rotation on the back knee).

Of course whether he keeps himself on the field is still the $64 question.

I know there was mention of Cabrera still recovering from his biceps injury, maybe not so much the injury itself as far as healing, but getting that strength back.  It seems plausible to me and I could see a rebound of sorts in the order for next season.

Or maybe this is the end of his home run days and he's simply nothing more than a singles/doubles hitter.

Good times....

I have no doubt Cabrera works out.  I suspect he works out quite a bit, or does so in the off season at a minimum.  The guy has quite a bit of muscle mass.

That written, if forced to guess, he is doing limited -> no cardio intensive workouts nor do I think he is controlling his diet.

as you get older, you realize how much drinking affects your weight.  that's cabrera's problem.

I really noticed his weight this season--he's always been stocky, but he clearly has a gut now.  That extra weight can't help his balky knee.  Hopefully his pride kicks in, along with a few more salads, and he gets better control of that.  

23 hours ago, Buddha said:

as you get older, you realize how much drinking affects your weight.  that's cabrera's problem.

Very good point. 

On 7/11/2019 at 7:15 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have no doubt Cabrera works out.  I suspect he works out quite a bit, or does so in the off season at a minimum.  The guy has quite a bit of muscle mass.

That written, if forced to guess, he is doing limited -> no cardio intensive workouts nor do I think he is controlling his diet.

Recent game he was out jogging to 1st on an easy ground ball out. He was still breathing hard the next time they panned into the dugout. If we want to give him big benefit of the doubt, it is hard to find zero-impact cardio programs if you have a dodgy knee and ankle. I have one knee which is getting to be a problem, some things bother it but in plane flexure doesn't so I can still cycle. But if an ankle bothered me be that would be out too as would ellipticals et al. Nordic track is probably easy on both, but those are kind of out of vogue. Swimming probably the best for bad legs. I remember Gibson saying he was swimming for training in part of his career, but that does mean taking the initiative to find pools....... 

I am guessing a lot of chicken tenders and/or Big Mac-type meals on a daily basis probably aren't helping his conditioning either.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I am guessing a lot of chicken tenders and/or Big Mac-type meals on a daily basis probably aren't helping his conditioning either.

That and the tall boys.

Cabrera's .304 first half batting average is good for 9th in the league. What am I bid?

4 hours ago, gmoney said:

LOL ... seriously?  Highly doubt a near billionaire would lower himself to eating scrap food like that!

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Cabrera's .304 first half batting average is good for 9th in the league. What am I bid?

Just watch the front foot. Cabrera has two swings: one where he takes a little baby step; and one where he picks his front up and drives. He can probably still hit 340 from the first but with no power -in fact that is what he has been doing all May and June. If power is going to reappear, it's because he finds away to stride without it hurting.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

LOL ... seriously?  Highly doubt a near billionaire would lower himself to eating scrap food like that!

His favorite food is arepas.  

Venezuela's version of crappy fast food.

And near billionaire?  I get this sense that Cabrera will be broke by the time he is 45.

And if anyone would know that, it’s a poster with the handle “gmoney”. :wink:

18 hours ago, gmoney said:

And near billionaire?  I get this sense that Cabrera will be broke by the time he is 45.

Based on?