Jump to content

chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

33 members have voted

  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

    • Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
      18
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
      4
    • DFA him after this season.
      0
    • Trade him.
      1
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
      4
    • Other (explain in a post).
      6


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Is he really any worse (fatter) than Big Papi?

He's not fatter than Ortiz was at one time, but beginning in about ~2012 and through the end of his career most reports were that he started paying more attention to his weight and at the end kept it in the 250 range. I'd wouldn't take any bets that Cabrera is near 250 today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Is he really any worse (fatter) than Big Papi?

He's a lot worse than Ortiz. Ortiz lost a lot of weight towards the end of his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, six-hopper said:

 (the kind that made baseball so much fun in the late 1990s and early 2000s).

I think it was more expansion and juiced balls than steroids, although steroids certainly extended careers.  There are lots of reasons for periods of increased offense.  Look at what's happening now.  The power output this year is blowing the so called steroid era out of the water.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, chasfh said:

 

So ... what do you think will happen with him? Will he stay or will he go?

 

 

 

He will stay in uniform until he reaches 3000 hits and 500 HR, then the Tigers will negotiate a deal with him where he will retire, and become a salaried front office employee earning essentially the same money...become some kind of special scout in Latin America or some such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would argue that more of Miggy's weight is concentrated in his middle.  Big Papi was built  like an NFL TE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Curt Schilling.  

I honestly don't know why he, or Mike Mussina, for that matter, aren't in the hall, but I don't think it has to do with writers thinking Schilling is a jerk.

Must be that east coast bias I've heard about all these years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

There is a multitude of jerks in politics, more than we could count.  I don't want to know about it, I just am interested in what happens in the office.

Really, I don't understand all the stuff about Trump.  He's a jerk, but shouldn't we be more focused on his actions that impacts us and not about what he says on Twitter?

Anyway, back to baseball.

Respectfully, if you wish to discuss politics, please post in that forum rather than the Tigers forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think it was more expansion and juiced balls than steroids, although steroids certainly extended careers.  There are lots of reasons for periods of increased offense.  Look at what's happening now.  The power output this year is blowing the so called steroid era out of the water.  

there should be some observable difference in steroid inflated numbers and juiced ball inflated numbers. The juiced ball increase should accrue to all players across the board -as would diluted pitching. PED use should increase the variance in HR increases between uses and non--users ( assuming there were using and non-using populations) and increase inter-seasonal seasonal variances in players that start or quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I would argue that more of Miggy's weight is concentrated in his middle.  Big Papi was built  like an NFL TE

Pablo Sandoval is listed at 5’11” and being about 😉 270 lbs. He’s having a very good year. He’s happy in SF and is playing whenever and wherever they ask him too. He has a really good attitude again after bombing in Boston. In spite of still being overweight, he enjoys the game and wants to win. I don’t see Cabrera being even close to that frame of mind at all. Having your heart invested into the game makes a huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I honestly don't know why he, or Mike Mussina, for that matter, aren't in the hall, but I don't think it has to do with writers thinking Schilling is a jerk.

Must be that east coast bias I've heard about all these years.

Mussina was elected earlier this year.  

It's pretty wide known that Schilling isn't in because of his actions off the field, most notably his political views.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Respectfully, if you wish to discuss politics, please post in that forum rather than the Tigers forum.

I have no interest in talking politics here.  Just wanted to point out the hypocrisy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Pablo Sandoval is listed at 5’11” and being about 😉 270 lbs. He’s having a very good year. He’s happy in SF and is playing whenever and wherever they ask him too. He has a really good attitude again after bombing in Boston. In spite of still being overweight, he enjoys the game and wants to win. I don’t see Cabrera being even close to that frame of mind at all. Having your heart invested into the game makes a huge difference.

of course to be fair, if you can play without being in pain it makes a difference to your attitude. If Pablo is managing to stay healthy this year in spite of his weight, good for him, but that extra weight is like a sword of Damocles hanging over any athlete, increasing his odds of injury. It's pretty much fallen on Cabrera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sandoval is also only 32(hard to believe seems like he should be way older), when Miggy was 32 he was still one of the best hitters in baseball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Mussina was elected earlier this year.  

It's pretty wide known that Schilling isn't in because of his actions off the field, most notably his political views.  

Widely known or widely speculated?

Have voters come out and said they didn't vote for him for his political views (which is different than not voting for him for being a jerk, but whatever)?

I really haven't followed the HoF vote closely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I have no interest in talking politics here.  Just wanted to point out the hypocrisy.  

Again, take it to political forum if you feel the need to point out the hypocrisy.  Your observation has exactly zero to do with baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Miggy's reputation is that he is a jerk.  Actually, quite the opposite--you could put together a highlight reel of him goofing around in the dugout, with opposing players and fans.  He's typically smiling and having fun.   He's kind of like the Bill Murray of baseball.

Unless he kills someone, I don't see that changing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about his antics when I read Lynn's tweets and wondered to him on twitter why no other reporters mentioned anything?  I was very busy this weekend so I wasn't around much to see if others brought it up.  Could it have been misinterpreted as ball busting? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Pablo Sandoval is listed at 5’11” and being about 😉 270 lbs. He’s having a very good year. He’s happy in SF and is playing whenever and wherever they ask him too. He has a really good attitude again after bombing in Boston. In spite of still being overweight, he enjoys the game and wants to win. I don’t see Cabrera being even close to that frame of mind at all. Having your heart invested into the game makes a huge difference.

I'm not sure I understand your argument.  I view Miggy's refusal to lose weight and improve his conditioning in spite of many,many injuries as a sign that he isn't motivated and that refusal will likely shorten his career.  I don't know what Sandoval has to do with that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know if it is an issue of conditioning as it is diet.

It gets progressively harder to lose weight with just exercise as you age.  Based on personal experience, it wouldn't surprise me if improved diet alone would net him most of the weight loss desired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miggy is the Oprah of baseball--how many times have we seen photos in spring training where he put the time into his offseason conditioning, only to gain it all back, and then some.

He just needs to lay off the remaining Bitbit's that he couldn't sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

there should be some observable difference in steroid inflated numbers and juiced ball inflated numbers. The juiced ball increase should accrue to all players across the board -as would diluted pitching. PED use should increase the variance in HR increases between uses and non--users ( assuming there were using and non-using populations) and increase inter-seasonal seasonal variances in players that start or quit.

How do you factor in the pitchers on steroids?  And what if the majority of players were using which is what I suspect?  That's what competitive people do.  If they see someone getting an advantage, they will do the same thing.  

There were a lot of hitters hitting more home runs than they had in the past  back in the steroid era.  I don't know if the variance was higher than today, but some of the increases in the past couple of years have been remarkable.  It's not just a small across the board boost.  

The one advantage that players seemed to have back then was that their performance peaks lasted to a later age which would make sense since PEDs help players recover from injuries quicker.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't even know if it is an issue of conditioning as it is diet.

It gets progressively harder to lose weight with just exercise as you age.  Based on personal experience, it wouldn't surprise me if improved diet alone would net him most of the weight loss desired.

this.  when you're younger, you can eat and drink like a king and still be able to work it off.  once you get older, it's the reverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

I'm not sure I understand your argument.  I view Miggy's refusal to lose weight and improve his conditioning in spite of many,many injuries as a sign that he isn't motivated and that refusal will likely shorten his career.  I don't know what Sandoval has to do with that

Just a comparison between somewhat like situations and the different attitude and approaches taken. When Sandoval was in Boston he whined, got angry, pretty much failed at everything, except getting a TON of money and getting heavier. Probably not to the same extent as Sandoval in Boston, but I see Cabrera going in the same direction. I don’t think Cabrera cares as much as it takes to be ready to play. Frankly, I don’t know how much his pain actually has to do with his attitude. Obviously his pain increases on days Max and Verlander are the opposing pitcher.  Cabrera is looking more and more like VMart. In fact, he’ll be a lot worse attitude-wise, and performance-wise, not to mention the financial fiasco this guy is if he’s in Detroit through the end of his contract. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Just a comparison between somewhat like situations and the different attitude and approaches taken. When Sandoval was in Boston he whined, got angry, pretty much failed at everything, except getting a TON of money and getting heavier. Probably not to the same extent as Sandoval in Boston, but I see Cabrera going in the same direction. I don’t think Cabrera cares as much as it takes to be ready to play. Frankly, I don’t know how much his pain actually has to do with his attitude. Obviously his pain increases on days Max and Verlander are the opposing pitcher.  Cabrera is looking more and more like VMart. In fact, he’ll be a lot worse attitude-wise, and performance-wise, not to mention the financial fiasco this guy is if he’s in Detroit through the end of his contract. 

 

I'm not making excuses for any poor attitude (if true, we really don't know at this point), but I'll bet Mr. I told Cabrera that the Tigers would always be a competitive team when he signed him to a long-term deal.  And I believe that would have been the case if he were still alive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not widely known that Schilling fails to get into the HoF because he's a jerk.  I do not recall any voters saying they left him off their ballot for that reason.  Many have said they have failed to vote for players because they took steroids or looked like they took steroids or associated with players who took steroids.  My guess is they think his win total (216) is too low.  

Not that it matters, but I do not think Cabrera is widely regarded as a jerk.  There also haven't been steroid rumors, so I don't think he'll have any trouble getting in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...