chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

I completely tore a bicep tendon distally.  Month 24 ain't a lot different from month 12...but then, unlike MIggy I work out a lot so I would notice something like that.

He's a HOF player...is he a HOF person,...don't know...don't care.  If he's that disruptive..and I doubt he really is..then sit him.  If he had done the not run it out on the passed ball third strike bit when he was triple crown Miggy... Henning would have laughed it off.

1 minute ago, Lei Pong said:

I completely tore a bicep tendon distally.  Month 24 ain't a lot different from month 12...but then, unlike MIggy I work out a lot so I would notice something like that.

He's a HOF player...is he a HOF person,...don't know...don't care.  If he's that disruptive..and I doubt he really is..then sit him.  If he had done the not run it out on the passed ball third strike bit when he was triple crown Miggy... Henning would have laughed it off.

He absolutely does already have a history of singling on doubles when a "HR" didn't clear the fence when he thought it  would and he was already trotting, so giving up bases for sure is nothing new.

Also, there really isn't much precident for someone being left out of the Hall for being a garden variety jerk.

If anything, I'd suggest being really nice hurts your odds more if you are marginal.

20 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

They won’t sit the 30 million dollar gorilla. 

23 hours ago, chasfh said:

So, now it looks as though a decision is beginning to loom regarding the fate of Miguel Cabrera. Everyone has seen the tweet by now, but for convenience, I'm including it below.

Say what you want about Lynn Henning, and you'd be right, but as a faithful lapdog, he is a bellwether for Tigers ownership and management. If Henning is saying this, it's because management wants him to.

So ... what do you think will happen with him? Will he stay or will he go?

I predict that he'll become older and fatter but not smarter and not more energetic on the baseball field.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Especially if there isn't a clearly better internal option.

This would be the only way, and perhaps not even this. 

There is a multitude of jerks in professional baseball, more than we could count.  I don't want to know about it, I just am interested in what happens on the field.

• Like 1

Just now, Charles Liston said:

There is a multitude of jerks in professional baseball, more than we could count.  I don't want to know about it, I just am interested in what happens on the field.

This. I don’t care about off-field behavior that doesn’t affect on-field performance, although I would care about off-field behavior that would affect on-field performance. That can be hard to suss out, though. 

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Cabrera will be a first ballot hall of famer.  Bonds and Clemens will eventually get in after the sanctimonious old guard fades away.  It's funny how people use all the home runs of that era as proof of steroid use and then they won't let a pitcher into the Hall of Fame.  It's also funny how there are more home runs than every today, but all the players are supposedly clean.   

you know....one could argue that justin verlander's career arc is beginning to look a lot like roger clemens'.  not saying anything but, you never know.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you know....one could argue that justin verlander's career arc is beginning to look a lot like roger clemens'.  not saying anything but, you never know.

Flonase is a steroid, so ... just sayin’. 

So is cholesterol....why isn't Miggy doing better?  He has to have a cholesterol number that's through the roof

6 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Based on his behavior, are we even sure he gets into the Hall?  What do the writers think about him?  Does Henning have a HOF vote?  

I have been critical of Henning at times, but he probably takes the Hall of Fame vote as seriously as any writer.  He does his homework which is more than I can say for a lot of the voters.  

40 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have been critical of Henning at times, but he probably takes the Hall of Fame vote as seriously as any writer.  He does his homework which is more than I can say for a lot of the voters.  

I probably disagreed with Lynn 75% of the time as a baseball writer but you're right here.   And as a person he was and is very engaging.  As long as you're willing to have a serious, respectful discussion he's always seemed willing to talk to anyone.   I can't say that about many other writers in general and sportswriters in specific.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yes, but there is an enormous difference between an anti-inflammatory or corticosteroid (like cortisone and prednisone) and an anabolic steroid (the kind that made baseball so much fun in the late 1990s and early 2000s).

12 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Yes, but there is an enormous difference between an anti-inflammatory or corticosteroid (like cortisone and prednisone) and an anabolic steroid (the kind that made baseball so much fun in the late 1990s and early 2000s).

It was a joke referring to Verlander being on Flonase commercials. But thanks for the lesson all the same. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

But does it help him breath through his eyelids any better?

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

If signing Miggy to the most expensive eight-year extension in history with two years remaining on his contract was intended by the Tigers to maximize their negotiating leverage, they may not understand what that term means.

The closer he got to free agency, the more likely he would be to leave. Nobody had issue with his first contract he signed two years before free agency. Verlander signed two years before free agency. The decision to give him that money through age 40 is the issue regardless of what year he signed it. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Also, there really isn't much precident for someone being left out of the Hall for being a garden variety jerk.

Curt Schilling.  

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

There is a multitude of jerks in politics, more than we could count.  I don't want to know about it, I just am interested in what happens in the office.

Really, I don't understand all the stuff about Trump.  He's a jerk, but shouldn't we be more focused on his actions that impacts us and not about what he says on Twitter?

Anyway, back to baseball.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If anything, I'd suggest being really nice hurts your odds more if you are marginal.

I suppose Jim Bunning was already in the Hall before the scope of his jerkness was completely known.

😏

20 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I voted "other".  I think he's going to stay too heavy and that will make his knee deteriorate more quickly.  I think he'll be forced to retire before his contract ends

Miggy has a guaranteed contract.  Nobody can 'force' him to retire.  He may end up on the perpetual disabled list like Prince Fielder did ..but no way will he retire and forfeit the remaining owed on his contract.

By "forced to retire" I meant his knees will no longer be able to support his massive girth...since he cannot DH while wallowing in the dugout and MLB does not have a position called "immobile fat guy "...he'll be forced to retire

46 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

By "forced to retire" I meant his knees will no longer be able to support his massive girth...since he cannot DH while wallowing in the dugout and MLB does not have a position called "immobile fat guy "...he'll be forced to retire

Is he really any worse (fatter) than Big Papi?