chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

14 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Mike Illitch wanted Miggy to go into the Hall as aTiger so he's not going anywhere. Junior will make sure of it. As the team improves so should his attitude if not his performance. Must be nice to be able to see 120 million burn.

Based on his behavior, are we even sure he gets into the Hall?  What do the writers think about him?  Does Henning have a HOF vote?  

Miguel Cabrera is not a borderline HoFer, he's a no-brainer, no matter if he is "liked" by members of the media or not.

3 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Miguel Cabrera is not a borderline HoFer, he's a no-brainer, no matter if he is "liked" by members of the media or not.

Tell that to Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.  

Cabrera does not have the PED stink that Clemens and Bonds have. They have the double whammy of being cheaters AND a-holes. 

43 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Wasn't there some talk a few years ago from an outside source...someone in Miami...I think..that Miggy was miserable in Detroit because it was Detroit and the window for a title had closed?

I''m going to guess there is Spanish language media that Cabrera talks to that would make interesting reading back here in Detroit, but no-one in the Det media tracks what Miguel says to Spanish language media.

22 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Cabrera does not have the PED stink that Clemens and Bonds have. They have the double whammy of being cheaters AND a-holes. 

In the five years between when he hangs them up and his eligibility, the ill-feeling over a messy career ending will fade. He will walk in. Of course that is assuming he doesn't do something really foolish or anti-social between now and then.

Cabrera will be a first ballot hall of famer.  Bonds and Clemens will eventually get in after the sanctimonious old guard fades away.  It's funny how people use all the home runs of that era as proof of steroid use and then they won't let a pitcher into the Hall of Fame.  It's also funny how there are more home runs than every today, but all the players are supposedly clean.   

15 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I was a big fan of his performance when he was good and that's what counts the most.  I didn't like some of the off field stuff and I thought he could have kept himself in better shape, but the performance was great.  Still, I will always view Verlander as Mr Tiger of that era.  

And JV would have never let himself go to **** just because he was on a losing team.

24 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Cabrera will be a first ballot hall of famer.  Bonds and Clemens will eventually get in after the sanctimonious old guard fades away.  It's funny how people use all the home runs of that era as proof of steroid use and then they won't let a pitcher into the Hall of Fame.  It's also funny how there are more home runs than every today, but all the players are supposedly clean.   

even at his current production level, he is very likely over 3000 hits by the end of next season. And I would give you dollars to donuts that is big reason why he doesn't seem to care if he hits HRs. 3000 is something he feels he can reach. Not being able to drive off the knee, maybe 500hr is not.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Bonds admitted to steroid use.

Clemens the evidence was pretty damning.

Let's just not pretend it's like "we think they maybe have used"

Gaylord Perry wrote a book where the title celebrated his cheating....

Why is some cheating right and some wrong?

I'll be glad when all these sanctimonious assholes are no longer voting for the HOF.  They are mostly idiots.

Perry's "Me and the Spitter" was a fun read.  I think the rituals he would go through before each pitch to make it appear he was loading up the ball with gunk were mostly mind games to frustrate the hitters.  I'm in the camp that says he was a clever old coot that knew how to pitch.

Personally...I think if an athlete wants to use anabolic steroids under the care of a physician and can document it with the appropriate blood work demonstrating that his/her overall health is being monitored, they should be allowed to. 

18 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The timing really wasn't the issue. Doing it two years prior gave the Tigers all the leverage. The first extension he signed was two years before he became a free agent and that turned out to be a bargain. It was signing a guy through his age 40 season that was the problem. 

If signing Miggy to the most expensive eight-year extension in history with two years remaining on his contract was intended by the Tigers to maximize their negotiating leverage, they may not understand what that term means.

15 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

They will probably live with him as long as he hits 300 and keeps his OPS at 750. If he gets worse than that, and if the stories about his attitude are true that seems like a good bet, then it will get tense. But if he does enough to continue to hit exactly as he is hitting now, I don't think anything changes. I suppose we could be optimistic and hope that he looks back on the wreckage of this season and decides to put some effort into next season. But even if he made that decision you don't turn around 15 yrs of neglect in one off-season - meaning he would probably just hurt himself in the effort.

I can see this. Most fans are not us. They don't play close attention to how poorly he's really hitting. They only know he's hitting nearly .300, is close to 3,000 hits, and will go the the Hall of Fame in a Tigers hat. Matt Shepard knows this: during Miggy's at bat versus Max yesterday he said something on the order of, "This is the match-up most people paid to watch". Even though we know how completely one-sided the match-up was, he was basically right. 

One of my buddies, a big lifelong baseball fan, said to me earlier this year, "I see Miggy's hitting .300. You must be very excited to see him back to normal." That's how closely most fans pay attention.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

One of my buddies, a big lifelong baseball fan, said to me earlier this year, "I see Miggy's hitting .300. You must be very excited to see him back to normal." That's how closely most fans pay attention.

Did you set him right?

Just now, LooseGoose said:

Did you set him right?

No.

12 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I voted "other".  I think he's going to stay too heavy and that will make his knee deteriorate more quickly.  I think he'll be forced to retire before his contract ends

He'll retire the way Prince Fielder retired.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He'll retire the way Prince Fielder retired.

That is my guess too.  

3 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Miggy's definitely in, and almost certainly first year, but if he continues on this trajectory, with seven barely-average years at the end of his career, we might be surprised by how much his legacy within the pantheon of Hall of Fame hitters will be debated.

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Most of my family and friends are similar. There is no longer much point in trying to set them straight.  This is why I spend so much time online. 

11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Most of my family and friends are similar. There is no longer much point in trying to set them straight.  This is why I spend so much time online. 

Same here. Plus, my buddy is a heart-and-soul Mets fan, so I'm that kind of fan around him, too.

I think there's still a chance that he'll hit better in the future, probably next year.  Not only has the knee been a problem, but next year he'll be a year removed from the biceps tear the year before.  He'll never hit for power like the Miggy of his best years, but he's got more in the tank, methinks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I think there's still a chance that he'll hit better in the future, probably next year.  Not only has the knee been a problem, but next year he'll be a year removed from the biceps tear the year before.  He'll never hit for power like the Miggy of his best years, but he's got more in the tank, methinks.

Hard to know at a distance since the whatever is wrong with the knee remains pretty mysterious. Even if he wasn't a surgery candidate this this spring, I wouldn't be surprised if he was by the end of the season.

5 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Based on his behavior, are we even sure he gets into the Hall?  What do the writers think about him?  Does Henning have a HOF vote?  

Lol