chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

If the Tigers could successfully steal signs only for Cabrera I wonder if that would help.

I wouldn't mind if Avila and Garner were suspended for a year, but losing the #1 and #2 picks would be disastrous.  

It just feels that way.

I was just going to edit it, but the thread will be better if I leave it as is.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Garner had the classic 1980's stache and the most misspelled name other than Raburn.  

Garner is another one of those forgotten Tigers managers for me, kinda like Buddy Bell. 

I remember Garner being billed as the experienced manager to take the team over the hump. Problem was, he never had success as a manager.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:26 PM, Yoda said:

I think you underestimate how hard it is to gain...40-50 pounds over just a few months. 

challenge accepted!

On 1/12/2020 at 10:44 AM, Sports_Freak said:

My favorite Cabrera story happened in Chicago. Miggy was hitting third, the first two Tigers made outs. I believe Cabrera took the first pitch. But he stepped out of the box, looking puzzled. He started talking to the umpire and timeout was called. The umpire got the groundskeeper out there to check the batter's box. Sure enough,  it was off a bit. They had to totally replace the white lines to correct the batters box. You can't argue with Cabrera's eye, the man is a professional hitter!

https://www.mlb.com/video/umpires-delay-game/c-20576339

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The other thing is Miguel has had his demons as evidenced by his behaviors and drinking.

It isn't that hard for me to believe that he has used food at times to try to fill that hole in his soul.

But this is a message board and everyone knows everything about everyone. 

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

They don't get paid in January

I think it depends on how the contract is written up.  Just like some teachers get paid during the summer even though they aren't working.  They get the same pay, it's just distributed differently.  

I guess I don't understand what Miguel's daily pro-rated salary has to do with anything.

Whenever I hear or read commentary like that, it comes across to me like somebody is jealous.

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think it depends on how the contract is written up.  Just like some teachers get paid during the summer even though they aren't working.  They get the same pay, it's just distributed differently.  

The collective bargaining agreement states that payment of the contract begins when the season does and ends when the season ends.. They get paid twice a month.  They get an allowance during spring training and split playoff pools.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess I don't understand what Miguel's daily pro-rated salary has to do with anything.

Whenever I hear or read commentary like that, it comes across to me like somebody is jealous.

Nope on the jealous. Money has everything to do with how hard you are going to work. You're not as smart as you think you are.

• Like 1

We shouldn't worry about Cabrera's chicken.  As long as he is focused on his body and his mentals, we good.

1 hour ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Nope on the jealous. Money has everything to do with how hard you are going to work. You're not as smart as you think you are.

Money has relatively little to do with how hard someone is going to work.

You are correct that I am not as smart as I think I am, however.