chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

It’s easy though to get in shape in the off season

this is true, but in the past Miguel has never lost much weight in the off season either, except maybe a little before the season he knew he was going back to 3rd, so if he has this year, it would still be progress for him.

14 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

All that early 90s stuff is cool again

Fanny packs were never cool, so I take umbrage with the use of "again".

well they took away our cargo shorts so we're back to fanny packs.... where else we going to put all of our ****?  Now I have to take my glasses with me too.  

Jorts...

when Men wear them they were the rebellious dudes who smoked pot and probably had some meth and guns

when women wear them they were probably part of some fundamentalist religious sect that forbid shorts and the women can't wear dresses that aren't near the ankles

I am hopelessly optimistic when it comes to my sports teams...Miggy will have more doubles this year than he has ever had.  I am thinking 60...just because he is going to be JUST missing HR's like crazy and not even thinking about triples AT ALL.

I was so worried we weren't going to get a "Miguel Cabrera is in the best shape of his career" story.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I was so worried we weren't going to get a "Miguel Cabrera is in the best shape of his career" story.  

the story was inevitable and not really news. If he actually is would be unprecedented and pretty big news! The odds are no worse that Miguel had one of the kids photoshop the images......

:wink:

I think he's embarrassed about the way he played last year.   I do think he cares.    I think if he wants to get himself to a team with a shot to win a World Series, he needs to show he's got something left.  

That's what I think too, but I also think his knees may simply be shot

20 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

He is a prime candidate for comeback player of the year.    We can always hope.   

Well, he is coming back, so he'll qualify for that factor. 

On 7/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

As Alexander Pope said, "The proper study of mankind is man"?

Human behavior is always interesting and possibly useful to see and understand better in terms of it's complexity and breadth and contradictions. It's not like any of us invaded his privacy to learn any of this, the story is all public court records and public statements by people involved. 

I can't speak for why other people find it interesting. Obviously schadenfreude plays a part whenever the rich or privileged are found out to be compromised. I find this situation mostly amusing because whenever deceit  comes undone in spectacular fashion, it helps perpetuate my illusion that there may be some kind of justice in the universe....xD

Yeah. We really could give a crap what he does with his personal life. Considering he makes a lot of money, his drive to succeed is probably not great.  I really only care that he is fat, slow, not very smart, rich, and lazy....all contributing to a serious mega decline in his on field performance. And that is what we care about.

I think you're making some assumptions there. How do you know he isn't smart and is lazy? Maybe he grew up in extreme poverty, was thrust into a mega exposed world as a teen - which imho shows he likely has an incredible work ethic - has a drive so strong it drove him to play through many injuries over the first dozen years of his career which has left him with diminished capacity at this point. Miggy's childlike manner may be a way he learned to deal with being uncomfortable with his so exposed world. I don't know him, so I don't know. I've thought he was uncomfortable since the first interview I saw with him. He is playful but from what I see he seems like an introvert. He doesn't share much except silly, playful stuff. And in my experience introverted people are actually often quite intelligent and there are deep and strong currents flowing beneath the surface. But I don't know him so I don't know. That's just an assumption on my part.

We have very little idea what's really going on inside of Miguel's mind. He reveals very little from what I see. I'm guessing the whole mistress thing is also very stressful for him. I want him to do well but hold no negative judgments. 

I think he has given a great deal to the Tigers and Illitch foolishly overpaid him. And VMart. And Prince. And almost Chris Davis. I'm happy he is paid well. Maybe he gives back to his community and helps other. I don't know.

I don't mean to pile on here. I just don't get all of the Miggy contempt and am unloading it all here.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, leflore said:

I've thought he was uncomfortable since the first interview I saw with him. He is playful but from what I see he seems like an introvert

I think a lot of this has to do with his English facility or at least his resistance to using it. From what I understand he is much easier to have a serious conversation with in Spanish and a lot of what we have found out about what Miguel thinks about things are from translations of interviews giving to Spanish speaking media. Miguel has put himself in a kind a box of his own choosing here. He has made it clear that he resents the situation that Americans view baseball as theirs yet baseball is dominated by Spanish speaking players and Americans as a whole and particularly baseball reporters,  are so staunchly mono-lingual. And I believe his pride about that makes him resistant to accommodating himself to doing his US 'business' in English. (actually his English vocab and syntax are not bad but  his accent is so deep he is hard to decipher, maybe because he doesn't use it enough!) I think he feels it would  be 'selling out' to make life any easier for non-Spanish speaking baseball media to cover him.

Perhaps. Maybe there is a passive aggressive element to Miggy. For most professional athletes we really don't know that much and we all make assumptions. Folks made a lot of assumptions about Roberto Clemente. Called him a hypochondriac.

I tend to believe most professional athletes bust their behinds to get to achieve what they can. It's probably because of my profession, but I tend to first see these guys as people and am automatically curious about that. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, leflore said:

Perhaps. Maybe there is a passive aggressive element to Miggy. For most professional athletes we really don't know that much and we all make assumptions. Folks made a lot of assumptions about Roberto Clemente. Called him a hypochondriac.

I tend to believe most professional athletes bust their behinds to get to achieve what they can. It's probably because of my profession, but I tend to first see these guys as people and am automatically curious about that. 

From the reports we get, it's really easy to hate on Miggy.  First the drunk driving, then the exposed 2nd family, then the way he screwed his partners in the Bitbits business.  Heck, I didn't even like it when he stated he didn't even bother learning his teammates' names, instead just calling them "buddy."  Maybe he meant it as a joke, but I found that very disrespectful.  It's hard for me to sympathies with him with all the negative things he's done. 

26 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

From the reports we get, it's really easy to hate on Miggy.  First the drunk driving, then the exposed 2nd family, then the way he screwed his partners in the Bitbits business.  Heck, I didn't even like it when he stated he didn't even bother learning his teammates' names, instead just calling them "buddy."  Maybe he meant it as a joke, but I found that very disrespectful.  It's hard for me to sympathies with him with all the negative things he's done. 

you read this stuff and it's like whatever Miguel is doing, he is not really there (in the sense of investing himself). He has family, but he is not there, he has a mistress, but he is not there for her either. He starts a company - he is completely not there. He has a baseball career, but in the clubhouse is apparently is just barely there. You hear competitive athletes can be so single minded about the competition that they can't engage in anything else in their lives, yet that can't be true of Miguel either because (at least in the past) he hasn't even invested himself in his own physical fitness. Or maybe he starts out 'there' in each case but never succeeds in any permanent attachment to anything.

I think the whole point of having a mistress is that you don't have to "be there" for her....  😃

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

you read this stuff and it's like whatever Miguel is doing, he is not really there (in the sense of investing himself). He has family, but he is not there, he has a mistress, but he is not there for her either. He starts a company - he is completely not there. He has a baseball career, but in the clubhouse is apparently is just barely there. You hear competitive athletes can be so single minded about the competition that they can't engage in anything else in their lives, yet that can't be true of Miguel either because (at least in the past) he hasn't even invested himself in his own physical fitness. Or maybe he starts out 'there' in each case but never succeeds in any permanent attachment to anything.

To build on this, I think it’s his personality to lose interest when things go south.  He seemed like a highly engaged teammate during the good years, but has lost interest/enthusiasm during this current **** show.  

I still like the guy.  He’s provided a lot of great memories and was like a big kid—touching Beltre’s head, picking up Altuve, the memorable exchange with the Indian’s fan, etc... I’m rooting for him to restore some dignity and production to his remaining contract years.

14 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

I think the whole point of having a mistress is that you don't have to "be there" for her....  😃

yeah - there is that!

It's easy to judge because obviously he's made some huge mistakes. I tried to find some background info but there is very little. I did find some. A few context facts:

94% of Venezuelans live in poverty. More people try to flee Venezuela than any other country. There are more murders in Venezuela than any other country. It is considered the third most violent country in the world.

The only childhood facts I could find is that his parents divorced, Miguel was a known commodity by the time he was 13, there was "immense pressure" placed on him by his family to succeed at baseball, and his uncle moved him to the US at age 15 for a shot at mlb and $ to help his family.

He has certainly made big mistakes, seems aloof and self centered, but he has also been nominated for the Clemente award twice.

Can you imagine having those pressures placed on you as a kid? Some people have maladaptive ways of dealing with that - hollywood is full of examples. So much has been asked of him, maybe in coping he has developed a personality disorder. We know he drank. A % may be about the language barrier. I see the likelihood of much more.

He is an adult and responsible for his own actions. But there is always a context to it, which is why I try to not judge. He played 150+ games a season for many years, playing through injuries. He's up there with Cobb and Greenberg as the best Tiger batters of all-time imho. And like many before him fell off in his 30s. Is he "lazy?" Maybe. I actually doubt it because you don't accomplish what he has without busting your behind. He doesn't seem to be handling his descent well. But again, from my perspective, there is context to it.

Just my 2 cents as a mental health professional of 30 years, predominantly working with homeless and people growing up in poverty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, leflore said:

The only childhood facts I could find is that his parents divorced, Miguel was a known commodity by the time he was 13, there was "immense pressure" placed on him by his family to succeed at baseball, and his uncle moved him to the US at age 15 for a shot at mlb and $ to help his family.

Fair enough that a "Deprived Child/Spoiled Athlete" experience with no grounding middle would be a disorienting way to grow up. But while a guy like LeBron might also fit that category and while he has also made any number of PR missteps where he appeared foolish or narcissistic, he is none-the-less widely regarded as a stand-up guy in his 'real life' off the court. What ever hand you are dealt, you still have a lot of choices playing it.