Jump to content

chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

48 members have voted

  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

    • Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
      25
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
      8
    • DFA him after this season.
      2
    • Trade him.
      2
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
      5
    • Other (explain in a post).
      6


Recommended Posts


On 7/28/2019 at 11:28 AM, bobrob2004 said:

I think he'll find a way to go on the DL or retire due to a medical issue before the Tigers will outright release him.  

Why would Miggy retire and essentially forfeit $30+ million a year? 

If medical issues prevent him from playing ..he'll go on the perpetual 60-day DL.  If that would happen while still under multi-year contract ..most likely the Tigers would release him prior to the next season while still paying him according to the terms of the contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Why would Miggy retire and essentially forfeit $30+ million a year? 

If medical issues prevent him from playing ..he'll go on the perpetual 60-day DL.  If that would happen while still under multi-year contract ..most likely the Tigers would release him prior to the next season while still paying him according to the terms of the contract.

That's essentially what I meant. The same way Prince Fielder retired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What will become of Miguel Cabrea is that he will go ever deeper into the sewer in his performance, but take a big load of cash with him.

In one game -- his Major League debut -- Travis Demeritte has a 0.2 WAR.

In 95 games, Cabrera has a  -0.3 WAR.

But look on the bright side.  We have only 4.35 more years of the Miggy Show to endure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it but it's hard to tell considering he's wearing black and we can't see him from the side.   But either way it atleast looks like he hasn't gotten any bigger so that's a good thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more offended by the fanny pack than I was his weight. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm more offended by the fanny pack than I was his weight. 

All that early 90s stuff is cool again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm more offended by the fanny pack than I was his weight. 

White socks with black shoes is a fashion no no too right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is going up and down that trail all winter, that's a good thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If he is going up and down that trail all winter, that's a good thing.  

I don't think that would be very good for his knees. But then maybe strengthening those muscles does help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Leaner? 

You decide!

 

a8blvkihsdbziziv1ru0

Man, he's got those "Little Lotta" legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

actually, I just went to his instagram page to see what else was there and there is a shot of he and (I assume) one of his kids standing on some steps which is dated in Dec. It is a profile shot and damned if he doesn't look pretty good. Maybe he was sucking it up for the photo but it's a better look than I remember him having since he's been in Det.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Man, he's got those "Little Lotta" legs.

From the knees down he will never be confused with Jose Valverde.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

I don't think that would be very good for his knees. But then maybe strengthening those muscles does help. 

Surprisingly, it helps my knees and I have cartilage problems like he does.  It strengthens the muscles around my knees like no other exercise I have tried.  Going down  hill can be a problem for some people though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

actually, I just went to his instagram page to see what else was there and there is a shot of he and (I assume) one of his kids standing on some steps which is dated in Dec. It is a profile shot and damned if he doesn't look pretty good. Maybe he was sucking it up for the photo but it's a better look than I remember him having since he's been in Det.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Yoda said:

 

Maybe he can do 30 HR, 100 RBI, .300+ BA again?

But I still would not bet on any Triples!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thought was going into this year Miggy was either  going to be 40-50 lbs lighter or 40-50 lbs heavier.   Glad he's committed to being in better shape.   Don't need 30 HRs,  just need him to have stamina and find his bat speed again.    I really don't know what to think of the new middle of the order Miggy-CJ-Schoop.    How much of the two new guys power was the ball?  the Minnesota stadium?  the Minnesota lineup?   If the ball is adjusted to be normal again then they probably don't repeat their power numbers at Comerica in 2020, but they can probably still have plenty of extra base hits.  

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's unrealistic to expect Miggy to lose a ton of weight, I mean some people are just big people and he is one of those people.    This is all just speculation on my part but I think he has to get used to not having the same eye sight and bat speed that he had in his prime, and he likely never will.   Before he could wait to the last second to swing and have the power and bat speed to put it in the RF bleachers.  He probably isn't going to be able to do that anymore, atleast with any consistency.  So maybe he needs to change his approach and start cheating on pitches or become more pull happy.  He may strike out more and hit for a lower average but he would sacrifice that by hitting for more power.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My thought was going into this year Miggy was either  going to be 40-50 lbs lighter or 40-50 lbs heavier.   Glad he's committed to being in better shape.   Don't need 30 HRs,  just need him to have stamina and find his bat speed again.    I really don't know what to think of the new middle of the order Miggy-CJ-Schoop.    How much of the two new guys power was the ball?  the Minnesota stadium?  the Minnesota lineup?   If the ball is adjusted to be normal again then they probably don't repeat their power numbers at Comerica in 2020, but they can probably still have plenty of extra base hits.  

  

The power will still likely be down. But, both hit dingers before they got to Minneosta, so I wouldn't expect it to vanish completly. 20 for both Schoop and Cron seems reasonable

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s easy though to get in shape in the off season.  You have enough free time to work out and eat right and still have fun.  Lots of hours in the day to fit it in.  The test is April and May when you are always working and it’s cold your life is basically  go to the park around 3, play for a ****ty team, and then get home or the hotel at 11:30 pm still wound up with adrenaline.  Do you grab a bag of chips and a sugary drink?  Go to bed at 1.  Get up at 7 or 8 play with the kids or whatever.  You get aches and pains and are traveling half the time. Do you fit in working out and maintain a good diet always on the go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The power will still likely be down. But, both hit dingers before they got to Minneosta, so I wouldn't expect it to vanish completly. 20 for both Schoop and Cron seems reasonable

That's what I would expect from those guys, but who knows what will happen.  The issue with the ball - to me - really screwed up how we evaluate players.    The knock on Matthew Boyd was that he gave up a lot of home runs, but was that on him?     Frustrating.   Why did they have to screw with it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,817
    • Total Posts
      2,951,966
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...