chasfh

What Will Become of Miguel Cabrera?

How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Miguel Cabrera?

• Grin and bear it for the remaining four-plus years.
    • Keep him around for a few more seasons, but DFA him before the contract expires.
    • DFA him after this season.
    • Trade him.
    • Successfully rehabilitate him into a useful player and good teammate.
    • Other (explain in a post).

So, now it looks as though a decision is beginning to loom regarding the fate of Miguel Cabrera. Everyone has seen the tweet by now, but for convenience, I'm including it below.

Say what you want about Lynn Henning, and you'd be right, but as a faithful lapdog, he is a bellwether for Tigers ownership and management. If Henning is saying this, it's because management wants him to.

So ... what do you think will happen with him? Will he stay or will he go?

Cabrera isn't going anywhere.  Get used to it, Lynn.

I'd like to hear from Gordon Beckham. 

I think it's just the dark side of Miggy being a guy that likes to have fun. He's a goofball and he's unhappy because he's hurting, he can't play first anymore, he can't hit for power, and the team is struggling. He's getting **** on constantly for all of those reasons, but he's hitting .450 with RISP and grinding out at bats and generally giving it his all. 

I'd like to see him give it his all when it comes to cutting some bulk this off season, but...

Beckham seems like a great guy and he was saying the right things, but given what Miggy is dealing with, all of the regular cliches get grating after a while. 

Yes, Miggy has 30 million reasons a year to be a good guy, but he is who he is. Doesn't make it necessarily okay, but it's not like his behavior isn't understandable given the situation and his personality. He's never been a leader. 

Me, I'd be somewhere between Gordon and Miggy in the way I was acting at this point. 

I think we all knew Cabrera is a douchebag. When things are going well and he is producing, it didn't matter. I think Octavio Dotel was right when he called him out. That should have been the warning sign to sign him to a long term contract. 

What bothers me about Cabrera is that the jersey with his name on it that I bought is too tight for me now. And I’ve never even washed it. That’s insulting. 

• Like 2

I wasn't watching the game but if Cabrera gave away the PH AB, that kind of thing will drive Gardenhire up the wall if it becomes common and then things will get a lot more uncomfortable.

16 minutes ago, Walewander said:

I'd like to hear from Gordon Beckham. 

I think it's just the dark side of Miggy being a guy that likes to have fun. He's a goofball and he's unhappy because he's hurting, he can't play first anymore, he can't hit for power, and the team is struggling. He's getting **** on constantly for all of those reasons, but he's hitting .450 with RISP and grinding out at bats and generally giving it his all. 

I'd like to see him give it his all when it comes to cutting some bulk this off season, but...

Beckham seems like a great guy and he was saying the right things, but given what Miggy is dealing with, all of the regular cliches get grating after a while. 

Yes, Miggy has 30 million reasons a year to be a good guy, but he is who he is. Doesn't make it necessarily okay, but it's not like his behavior isn't understandable given the situation and his personality. He's never been a leader. 

Me, I'd be somewhere between Gordon and Miggy in the way I was acting at this point. 

Thing is, Cabrera has a history. He's not going to cut any bulk. We saw this in Florida. The Marlins were bad and no one showed up and he got fatter and fatter. Difference is, he was in his early 20's and could still produce at a high level without putting in the effort. That isn't going to work in his late 30's. He's thrown his teammates under the bus and can't even be bothered to remember their names. Maybe he's drinking again too. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Thing is, Cabrera has a history. He's not going to cut any bulk. We saw this in Florida. The Marlins were bad and no one showed up and he got fatter and fatter. Difference is, he was in his early 20's and could still produce at a high level without putting in the effort. That isn't going to work in his late 30's. He's thrown his teammates under the bus and can't even be bothered to remember their names. Maybe he's drinking again too. 

Oh, I'd be very surprised to see him cut weight. I think he did it a bit when he moved to third base, but he was more motivated then, obviously. 

I don't think he's drinking again but he does have the history and who knows what happens a year from now. Yikes.

Despite his decline... I'm oddly happy that hitters actually have aging curves again. Now if the ball didn't jump the fence... Hmm....

I think Miggy would have one home run this year without the rabbit ball.

“Without putting in the effort” might be the key phrase. Some players are so transcendently talented that they can perform at an elite level by warming up no harder than getting out of bed in the morning. If anyone in baseball is like that, I’d think it’s Miggy. 

To all appearances, Miggy has no incentive to work out, lose weight, work on his game, or even pretend to care. He’s got his guaranteed money, he’s set for life, and he can just tune everything else out until he walks away after the 2023 season with an $8 million parting gift. It is one of the all-time worst contract decisions in history because it was two years before the then current contract was set to expire.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

“Without putting in the effort” might be the key phrase. Some players are so transcendently talented that they can perform at an elite level by warming up no harder than getting out of bed in the morning. If anyone in baseball is like that, I’d think it’s Miggy. 

To all appearances, Miggy has no incentive to work out, lose weight, work on his game, or even pretend to care. He’s got his guaranteed money, he’s set for life, and he can just tune everything else out until he walks away after the 2023 season with an $8 million parting gift. It is one of the all-time worst contract decisions in history because it was two years before the then current contract even expires.

The timing really wasn't the issue. Doing it two years prior gave the Tigers all the leverage. The first extension he signed was two years before he became a free agent and that turned out to be a bargain. It was signing a guy through his age 40 season that was the problem. 

I’d love too see Cabrera gone yesterday but I don’t see how it could happen. I’ve NEVER been a big fan of his. Ideally, with his tenure in Detroit you would hope he would be a leader and an example to the younger guys. Quite the opposite, he’s only there for a check and knows ownership’s hands are tied. It will get worse.

Mike Illitch wanted Miggy to go into the Hall as aTiger so he's not going anywhere. Junior will make sure of it. As the team improves so should his attitude if not his performance. Must be nice to be able to see 120 million burn.

I wonder if the Tigers were able to insure the contract with Miggy at all.  That's the biggest question.

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I’d love too see Cabrera gone yesterday but I don’t see how it could happen. I’ve NEVER been a big fan of his. Ideally, with his tenure in Detroit you would hope he would be a leader and an example to the younger guys. Quite the opposite, he’s only there for a check and knows ownership’s hands are tied. It will get worse.

I was a big fan of his performance when he was good and that's what counts the most.  I didn't like some of the off field stuff and I thought he could have kept himself in better shape, but the performance was great.  Still, I will always view Verlander as Mr Tiger of that era.  

Would it be worthwhile for the Tigers to cut him and pay him 30 million to produce for another team?  I think that is the question here.  There may be an argument for that if he is a liability in the clubhouse.  It would suck watching him hit historical milestones for another team but ultimately I want the Tigers to do what is best to get this thing turned around quickest.   

They will probably live with him as long as he hits 300 and keeps his OPS at 750. If he gets worse than that, and if the stories about his attitude are true that seems like a good bet, then it will get tense. But if he does enough to continue to hit exactly as he is hitting now, I don't think anything changes. I suppose we could be optimistic and hope that he looks back on the wreckage of this season and decides to put some effort into next season. But even if he made that decision you don't turn around 15 yrs of neglect in one off-season - meaning he would probably just hurt himself in the effort.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

They will probably live with him as long as he hits 300 and keeps his OPS at 750. If he gets worse than that, and if the stories about his attitude are true that seems like a good bet, then it will get tense. But if he does enough to continue to hit exactly as he is hitting now, I don't think anything changes. I suppose we could be optimistic and hope that he looks back on the wreckage of this season and decides to put some effort into next season. But even if he made that decision you don't turn around 15 yrs of neglect in one off-season - meaning he would probably just hurt himself in the effort.

I think the biggest thing he could do would be to change his diet up.

He's banged up and he doesn't need to risk getting more banged up through crazy long intense workouts. Just lift heavy (get in and get out), work on flexibility, and cut carbs. Lose 20 pounds of fat in the off season and hold on to most of the muscle and see what happens next year. 

I say this like I know what I'm talking about. 

4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

What bothers me about Cabrera is that the jersey with his name on it that I bought is too tight for me now. And I’ve never even washed it. That’s insulting. 

It's supposed to be too tight. The fit proves that it's authentic, because Cabrera's own jersey is too tight on him as well.

2 minutes ago, Walewander said:

I think the biggest thing he could do would be to change his diet up.

He's banged up and he doesn't need to risk getting more banged up through crazy long intense workouts. Just lift heavy (get in and get out), work on flexibility, and cut carbs. Lose 20 pounds of fat in the off season and hold on to most of the muscle and see what happens next year. 

I say this like I know what I'm talking about. 

Weight reduction and good muscle tension around and supporting the knee are the two things he can do to help it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I wasn't watching the game but if Cabrera gave away the PH AB, that kind of thing will drive Gardenhire up the wall if it becomes common and then things will get a lot more uncomfortable.

Passed ball on strike three, and while the catcher chased the ball down, Cabrera made no effort to go to first base. And by no effort, I mean NO effort.  Not even one step toward first.  Just gave up the out, with the Tigers down by just one run.  

Try to catch it on the lowlights or the replay of the game.  It's appalling.

Options include:

1. Don't change things
  2. Cut him
  3. Cut his playing time
  4. Put him on the IL

Doors number 3 and 4 would be interesting. While it's tough to fit a part time DH on a modern day roster, maybe he's get the message that he's a problem if Ron cut his playing time and /or put him on the IL.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments given here. I just think Cabrera is residing himself to being wash up. I mean the Cabrera we new and loved was at his apex when competing for Titles...both team and individual. His team was always Title contenders and his individual stats were always right up there with the leaders...wheather hr's, Avg. ect. Miggy takes his stats seriously. He also knows his place in baseball history and knows the historic figures he is up there with. With the onslaught of his injuries the last few seasons, it's totally sapped his ability to be very intimidating at the plate and in the mean time has to gruel through every season to make his 30 million a year. Must be tough, but resorting to clown behavuor at times might be a way of getting through each day.

I voted "other".  I think he's going to stay too heavy and that will make his knee deteriorate more quickly.  I think he'll be forced to retire before his contract ends

There's only one answer.  He's not going anywhere.  We're all riding out that contract together.  Misery loves company.

Wasn't there some talk a few years ago from an outside source...someone in Miami...I think..that Miggy was miserable in Detroit because it was Detroit and the window for a title had closed?