Jump to content
chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

Recommended Posts

FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

I think the first 100 days of a Biden administration with dems in control of both houses will be a time of cleansing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting tag to that

As I recall the crankier elements of the Trump mob tried to exert some control of the mob against Mitch and Mitch just bulled through using the elements of power he wields.  I think some idiot coal mine owner in West Virginia and Roy Moore in Alabama tried to run against Mitch. (I think the former is where "Cocaine Mitch" came from).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This feels really weirdly out of place right now.

The audience was in Minnesota where the reality TV show former governor famously refused to give back the Alabama regimental colors that were taken in battle by a Minnesota regiment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I think the first 100 days of a Biden administration with dems in control of both houses will be a time of cleansing.

No matter how much cleansing the Democrats do, the stench of Republicans is here to stay. It's like the BO episode of Seinfeld. It's an entity that has clung itself to America. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oblong said:

That was a different Lindsay Graham.  After his golf game with Donald when he was told what dirt they had on him he flipped. 
but then again he’s in a tight race so he could revert to renegade Lindsay.  Who knows. I don’t know how he will react 

I would think that if Lindsey were revealed as gay, it would be one of the worst kept secrets in DC history. I would think his being outed is already baked into the equation, so whatever the dirt is, wouldn’t it likely be far worse than simply he’s gay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

2020 just keeps getting better.

 

We should have known that when the sons of Gingrich constantly railed against legislating from the bench, that was always what they themselves intended to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I’m a little late on Collins, but I'm thinking her siding with McConnell to ram a justice through might be her only way to win.

Everyone is right that before this, she was a dead woman walking. Now that the world has changed yet again, her choices are to support a quick vote for Trump’s nominee, or don’t.

If she doesn’t support the quick vote, she may lose whatever red hat vote she might have otherwise gotten, and Democratic voters are already not going to vote for her because she’s a Trump quisling. She probably loses if she doesn't support it.

If she does support the quick vote, it's not as though she will lose all the Democrats who wouldn’t vote for her already, but she might pick up enough incremental red hat votes to put her over the top. She may pick up red hats who wouldn’t have voted for her because she’s hadn’t been Trumpy enough. Supporting the quick vote might solidify her red hat bona fides, if only temporarily enough for the election. 

Seems pretty clear which route she should take. Far as I can tell, supporting a quick vote is her only chance to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We should have known that when the sons of Gingrich constantly railed against legislating from the bench, that was always what they themselves intended to do.

Removing competitors for his son in 2024

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO, best move for the Trump and GOP would be to come out united and say that out of respect for RBG and her incredible life they will honor her final wishes and not seat a new justice now.    

This is the type of humanity and compassion that Trump is incapable of but would go a long way in pulling people from outside the base back in his direction.   There are still many confused conservatives that still believe in the policies of the party but not the man.  They need to be able to pull from this group if they hope to win.   A move like this would help and they would still have a majority on the court even if they lost in November. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I know I’m a little late on Collins, but I'm thinking her siding with McConnell to ram a justice through might be her only way to win.

Everyone is right that before this, she was a dead woman walking. Now that the world has changed yet again, her choices are to support a quick vote for Trump’s nominee, or don’t.

If she doesn’t support the quick vote, she may lose whatever red hat vote she might have otherwise gotten, and Democratic voters are already not going to vote for her because she’s a Trump quisling. She probably loses if she doesn't support it.

If she does support the quick vote, it's not as though she will lose all the Democrats who wouldn’t vote for her already, but she might pick up enough incremental red hat votes to put her over the top. She may pick up red hats who wouldn’t have voted for her because she’s hadn’t been Trumpy enough. Supporting the quick vote might solidify her red hat bona fides, if only temporarily enough for the election. 

Seems pretty clear which route she should take. Far as I can tell, supporting a quick vote is her only chance to win.

Are you sure about that?

In any given Maine poll, there's about a 10 point gap between her and the President. There's far more of those moderates and independents in that 10% than there are Rs. 

She has room to fall there... I think she's done either way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is deep cut from that Wasserman thread...  I'm gonna call BS on that.  ProjectLincoln's job is to destroy Trump and protect democracy:  they needed to be a blunt instrument when it was necessary to destroy the bully Trump and his minions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

This is deep cut from that Wasserman thread...  I'm gonna call BS on that.  ProjectLincoln's job is to destroy Trump and protect democracy:  they needed to be a blunt instrument when it was necessary to destroy the bully Trump and his minions. 

 

There's an audience for Project Lincoln, its just not these folks... it's more the moderate Republicans in the suburbs, upper middle class to wealthy types

RVAT is the one who corners the market on the voters Dave is talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

 


It shouldn’t surprise at all.  The best that I can tell, this is the order of influence on decision making of the modern Congressman.  

1) Party

2) Lobby

3) Constitution (only when it serves their interest)

4) Friends and Family

5) State
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

IMHO, best move for the Trump and GOP would be to come out united and say that out of respect for RBG and her incredible life they will honor her final wishes and not seat a new justice now.    

This is the type of humanity and compassion that Trump is incapable of but would go a long way in pulling people from outside the base back in his direction.   There are still many confused conservatives that still believe in the policies of the party but not the man.  They need to be able to pull from this group if they hope to win.   A move like this would help and they would still have a majority on the court even if they lost in November. 

The religious right sold their soul for this opportunity.  Even if Trump wins this election, it'll just delay the major shift in the party (which is required to survive) or the eventual demise of it.  Principle was thrown out in order to get a court that would side with them and they don't want 'maybe's" on RvW.   Mitch does not like putting anything to a vote unless he's getting the outcome he wants, but I feel like he's going to be forced into this.  The possible good thing here is tight senate races in moderate states, the republican candidate is going to feel betrayed, might be the motivation needed to publicly break with Trump and then maybe we can start to see republican civil war I've been hoping for prior to the election.  

3 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:
I think the first 100 days of a Biden administration with dems in control of both houses will be a time of cleansing.

Agreed, and I don't think it's only if Trump tries to push through a nominee or actually gets one in.  It's happening regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:


It shouldn’t surprise at all.  The best that I can tell, this is the order of influence on decision making of the modern Congressman.  

1) Party

2) Lobby

3) Constitution (only when it serves their interest)

4) Friends and Family

5) State
 

It goes to show even the vulnerable senators are going down with this ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

I guess I'll trust Mandy Patinkin on this. 

 

I thought about the fact that it was Rosh Hashana when I heard yesterday via a text from one of my daughters.  But I didn't know that tradition relating to deaths.   Interesting.

My opinion on any appointment is the same as it was when the GOP blocked Garland's appointment:  The President is the President until Inauguration Day and barring some major constitutional defect his appointee should be confirmed.  It was crappy what they did to Garland.  I still believe this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,838
    • Total Posts
      3,031,653
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...