chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What can Democrats do to push the confirmation until January? 

The same things the Republicans did when Scalia died.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The same things the Republicans did when Scalia died.  

Republicans had the majority though. 

Only in America can a president who lost the popular vote by 3 million votes appoint a Supreme Court justice to a lifetime position that is confirmed by a senate that only represents 46% of the population. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Melody said:

Yes.  I can’t say totally unexpected given her age and health.  But so very sad.  And kind of uncomfortable to me that so much of the reaction is, “How does this affect/benefit my party.”  No time to grieve a remarkable woman and career.  Whether one agrees with her or not, still a woman worthy of more respect than that.  

It very likely has a significant effect on the Supreme Court and I doubt many people know her outside of her role as a Justice.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Only in America can a president who lost the popular vote by 3 million people appoint a Supreme Court justice to a lifetime position that is confirmed by a senate that only represents 46% of the population. 

3 SC justices!

nothing can stop Mitch - nothing

RIP RBG. Such an accomplished life!

Here's hoping that a few more Rs join Murkowski on this. It's beyond politics at this point, it's just not the fight we need to have right now as a country

“No difference between Democrats and Republicans.”

remember that when the anti choice wackos outlaw all abortion across the South

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

2 - maybe

The scuttlebutt on Twitter is Romney is onboard but haven't seen a reliable source. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

DNC rammed through a ****ty candidate.

I blame them a **** of a lot more than citizens exercising their displeasure at the ballot box

but it was her turn

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Doesn't the house have a say in it? 

not a word. I suppose they could defund the court system, but that's about it.

The problem is that the while the Constitution is a noble document in its aspirations, the US federal government is in reality a pretty poor example of how to put together a representative democracy. From a democratic standpoint, the Senate and it's special powers is a disaster.

47 minutes ago, Melody said:

Yes.  I can’t say totally unexpected given her age and health.  But so very sad.  And kind of uncomfortable to me that so much of the reaction is, “How does this affect/benefit my party.”  No time to grieve a remarkable woman and career.  Whether one agrees with her or not, still a woman worthy of more respect than that.  

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

DNC rammed through a ****ty candidate.

I blame them a **** of a lot more than citizens exercising their displeasure at the ballot box

Who cares? One of either Hillary or Trump were going to win. If people wanted a better candidate, they should have turned out for Bernie Sanders then.