chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

21 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Since that wasn't in my curriculum in my school days either...

After being stunned by Roots, I aggressively self-drove myself to seek out African-American history.

And turned on my white trash bigoted relatives. Bigly. I was never aligned with them anyways... but this was an easy focus.

I side ferociously with underdogs and oppressed peoples.

It might have been Roots that turned me into a race traitor as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

I was typing a bit fast there.  I mean, its more broadly focused.  For example, His AP World History did deep dives on the Indus river and Yangtze river and African cultures that my classes only glossed over.  He was getting into the details of document analysis that we never even got close to.   Everything I learned had a cold war lens to it...

I think I get what you mean. Does he go to nearby public school? Do you think you live in a progressive district? Or do all school districts make this kind of learning available? My sense of the state of American education in general is that this is rare.

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

I was typing a bit fast there.  I mean, its more broadly focused.  For example, His AP World History did deep dives on the Indus river and Yangtze river and African cultures that my classes only glossed over.  He was getting into the details of document analysis that we never even got close to.   Everything I learned had a cold war lens to it...

I’ve noticed around here both the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and the Jamestown Foundation has put added emphasis on the role of Africans/Slaves during the period. It seems to be well done. The Jamestown Foundation President was instrumental in the founding of the Wright Museum in Detroit, also with the reworking of the Museum of the Civil War at the Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond, they’ve also added the Appomattox Battlefield as Part of the museum project.

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think I get what you mean. Does he go to nearby public school? Do you think you live in a progressive district? Or do all school districts make this kind of learning available? My sense of the state of American education in general is that this is rare.

My sons experienced the same, one when private school 10-12 grade, the other public throughout (currently in 11th grade).

Their school district is well funded, and if forced to guess, the quality and inclusiveness of education is probably well correlated to quality of school funding.

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Remember, this is the guy who called military men and women losers and suckers. 

Patriotic education has been a thing in Japan for decades, and I'd suggest it was/is a failure.

As an example, while vacationing in Hawaii, my wife, who was born and raised in Japan and is well educated, was not aware of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Was absolutely convinced it was a staged, made up event, much like the moon landing.

Over time, she has come to realize a number of significant events in history simply were not taught, or circumstances surrounding same fabricated out of whole cloth, for no other reason than to make Japan look unimpeachable.

Being a diplomatic as I can be and granting the maximum benefit of the doubt to those pushing it, the idea that citizens are critical of America / America's policies simply because education isn't patriotic (or patriotic enough) is a really, really poorly considered idea.

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Since that wasn't in my curriculum in my school days either...

After being stunned by Roots, I aggressively self-drove myself to seek out African-American history.

And turned on my white trash bigoted relatives. Bigly. I was never aligned with them anyways... but this was an easy focus.

I side ferociously with underdogs and oppressed peoples.

Ya damn right.  Although my adopted mentally handicapped brother is african american so that provided some perspective.   The Biden "Ally of the Light" line was the sort of inspiration I felt in my heart when I went into the military and government.   I want to be with the good guys and not the Goodfellas.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Fairfax County Public Schools is progressive and well funded.  I'd doubt he'd get this education in a rural district in Oceana County, Mich

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I’ve noticed around here both the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and the Jamestown Foundation has put added emphasis on the role of Africans/Slaves during the period. It seems to be well done. The Jamestown Foundation President was instrumental in the founding of the Wright Museum in Detroit, also with the reworking of the Museum of the Civil War at the Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond, they’ve also added the Appomattox Battlefield as Part of the museum project.

I went to Monticello about 20 years ago and thought...it was thing.   Now am told it is a totally different and transcendent experience now that it includes perspective on the lives of the majority of the residents of the plantation. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Patriotic education has been a thing in Japan for decades, and I'd suggest it was/is a failure.

As an example, while vacationing in Hawaii, my wife, who was born and raised in Japan and is well educated, was not aware of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Was absolutely convinced it was a staged, made up event, much like the moon landing.

Over time, she has come to realize a number of significant events in history simply were not taught, or circumstances surrounding same fabricated out of whole cloth, for no other reason than to make Japan look unimpeachable.

Being a diplomatic as I can be and granting the maximum benefit of the doubt to those pushing it, the idea that citizens are critical of America / America's policies simply because education isn't patriotic (or patriotic enough) is a really, really poorly considered idea.

Yeah, the best kind of AP History education is supposed to support critical thinking and research skills.  You can't do critical thinking if you don't get to the primary sources.   You can't do primary sources if its all put on your plate and you can't go to the buffet. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Remember, this is the guy who called military men and women losers and suckers. 

Wow, Trump, good one.

39 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Fairfax County Public Schools is progressive and well funded.  I'd doubt he'd get this education in a rural district in Oceana County, Mich

Right, which is along the lines of what I would have guessed.

I kind of wonder where lower middle class suburban school districts fall along this continuum, places like Van **** Public Schools, Fraser public schools, districts like that.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Right, which is along the lines of what I would have guessed.

I kind of wonder where lower middle class suburban school districts fall along this continuum, places like Van **** Public Schools, Fraser public schools, districts like that.

I dunno if the kid who is majoring in shop is going to get much of a nuanced view.   That's always been the case.  I was a terrible student in everything but the things I liked.  My ability to graduate from Livonia Public Schools was a miracle of juggling my complete befuddlement with math. 

I thought the republic party was against federal oversight over education?

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I saw a recent Rasmussen that had Biden up 4 in Ohio. Rasmussen is probably not a fake news poll to Trump. 

It is now.

• Haha 1