chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

In sarcastic response to Danielle Pletka's idiotic editorial.

24 minutes ago, pfife said:

So the GOP couldn't pass protections for pre-existing conditions?  That's honestly what it seems like you're saying.  

They couldn't pass it as part of a bill to replace ACA.  I'm not making this stuff up, it's documented recent history.  Not saying it would have been a good thing, just saying that when they couldn't replace ACA with something that would have at least provided pre-existing conditions (because of no dem support), they went the route of simply repealing ACA and to me, it was clear that they would have come back with something for pre-existing conditions as that had enough support that republicans had already tried to put it in place.  Dems would have argued it wasn't the same, but would have had to cave if republicans pushed it up against the repeal deadline.

Here's what I've seen happen:

1) Republicans trying to repeal Obamacare and it's protections for pre-existing conditions relentlessly

2) Republicans being unable to legislatively pass protections for pre-existing conditions.

That reduces to.... they're not actually for protecting pre-existing conditions.

14 minutes ago, pfife said:

2) Republicans being unable to legislatively pass protections for pre-existing conditions.

That reduces to.... they're not actually for protecting pre-existing conditions.

With this logic, why do you support democrats?  They aren't actually for laws to limit climate change as they've been unable to enact that type of legislation.  They obviously love big pharma, 100% big bank, have (silently apparently) waged a 40 year war on unions, want war....

8 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

With this logic, why do you support democrats?  They aren't actually for laws to limit climate change as they've been unable to enact that type of legislation.  They obviously love big pharma, 100% big bank, have (silently apparently) waged a 40 year war on unions, want war....

Because there is a big difference between real Democratic proposals on paper in black and white that have either died in the Senate or never gotten a hearing from a GOP House, and GOP vaporware. Or worse, the kind of pull up the ladder and flood the lower decks bills that the likes of Paul Ryan would regularly put in black and white. Of course since Trump the GOP doesn't even bothers to try and write legislation since Donnie and Mitch can't seem to figure out their 'process'.

• Thanks 2

The Minnesota numbers are an outlier... but not by enough to think its competitive at this point

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The Minnesota numbers are an outlier... but not by enough to think its competitive at this point

I don't think MN is going to be close. I've always thought there was something about living in a place where being completely stupid can kill you so quickly if you are thoughtless, which the cold in MN can do. It creates a level of reserve soberness and a kind of stupidity antenna in the local body politic and I think Trump is far enough over that  line to have now failed the MN stupid test.

Sure the cold is as deadly in N Dak, Mont etc, but there you have a real western anti-gov sentiment driving things. That part is lacking in MN, which is more urban and midwestern by temperment.

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Because there is a big difference between real Democratic proposals on paper in black and white that have either died in the Senate or never gotten a hearing from a GOP House, and GOP vaporware.

A GOP modification to ACA passed the house and while that never made it to a vote in the Senate, when the senate said 'f it' and let's just repeal ACA, it took McCain to buck party lines due to his vendetta against Trump (note: I wouldn't call a vendetta against Trump a bad thing).

I'm not really arguing republicans are better, just pointing out that there was strong support to 'fix' ACA and/or repeal it and in public, there was republican support on pre-existing conditions.  You can argue you don't think republicans would have eventually pulled the trigger for pre-existing conditions but again 1) There was wide spread support of pre-existing coverage publicly and within GOP ranks and 2) all I said is eventually the GOP used the same logic (hey, we know it's not perfect with no coverage for pre-existing conditions and such, but going back is better than staying with obamacare and we can fix it later!) as the dems did in passing it (hey, we know it's not perfect, but it has coverage for pre-existing conditions and not having it is so much worse than what we have now, plus we can fix it later).

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think MN is going to be close. I've always thought there was something about living in a place where being completely stupid can kill you so quickly if you are thoughtless, which the cold in MN can do. It creates a level of reserve soberness and a kind of stupidity antenna in the local body politic and I think Trump is far enough over that  line to have now failed the MN stupid test.

Sure the cold is as deadly in N Dak, Mont etc, but there you have a real western anti-gov sentiment driving things. That part is lacking in MN, which is more urban and midwestern by temperment.

Pretty much. Long term, there are issues for the Dems up in the Range, and the Dems have some room to fall in other rural areas,  but in this environment, with the suburbs swinging that hard against, it's hard to see it happening.

Honestly, the Wisconsin spread in that poll is remarkable... only a 6% gap, but 52+46=98... 

That's a spread so small that it could be a general election number... not many undecideds

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not really arguing republicans are better, just pointing out that there was strong support to 'fix' ACA and/or repeal it and in public, there was republican support on pre-existing conditions.  You can argue you don't think republicans would have eventually pulled the trigger for pre-existing conditions but again

I will give you that the GOP did say 'f it and try to repeal it en masse. I will not grant that despite any rhetoric the GOP was ever close on any replacement had they succeeded on repeal. You could not have put pre-existing condition rules in place grafted onto the the old system in a vacuum, you would simply have driven employers to cancel more coverage completely as insurer's raised prices.The GOP never had any workable answer ready.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The GOP never had any workable answer ready.

C'mon, you trying to lose this argument on purpose?  You have to concede the fact that the GOP never cared about a "workable" answer.  They just wanted an answer.

Tim Miller I hope you know for a fact that these dudes are twinks...

on the other hand, I don't necessarily want to know how you know they are twinks

6 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

In sarcastic response to Danielle Pletka's idiotic editorial.

More on that idiotic Danielle Pletka editorial

If you wonder why I'm dunking on Pletka...because she's trying to give permission for people who think Trump is awful to forget that he is awful.   He was impeached. 

This does drive me crazy.  Churchill kept military secrets but he didn't sugar coat anything.  Trump's complete lack of physical and moral courage are the exact opposite of Churchillian.  The ONLY thing these two have in common is they sleep in silk pajamas.

This is a D polling group but...whut?!

I didn't think the Meijer family could be denied

Listening to hacks on tap...Mike Murphy says that Biden per their internal polls in FL is outside the margin of error but the bedwetting Democrat apparatus is turning every gun of the Biden navy toward the hispanic crowd.

Heard on TV this morning that typical Latin American tv station in FL sees 7 commercials for Biden every 30 minutes.