chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Campaign leadership reflects actual leadership style.  She may not be that good at this.

I think her fatal flaw was that she didn't more forcefully court Biden's base and kind of relied on a strategy of being all things to all people. And that strategy, for better or worse, tends to make you less popular with both cohorts (moderates and progressives).

Of course, she declared and was running before Biden got in, but I also think that the strategy above didn't take into account the kind of strength that Joe would command with AA voters were he to enter. Like the article discusses, she assumed she could roll into SC and steamroll the competition (presumably Sanders, Warren, etc., but also Biden if he entered), and that just hasn't materialized.

At any rate, she needs to get it turned around or she may Pawlenty out of this thing.

Going out and attacking Biden and Obama sure wasn't going to help with black voters or Democrats for that matter. Obama is still wildly popular among Democrats. Not sure how attacking Obama could have been thought of as good strategy.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Going out and attacking Biden and Obama sure wasn't going to help with black voters or Democrats for that matter. Obama is still wildly popular among Democrats. Not sure how attacking Obama could have been thought of as good strategy.

When they do the autopsy on her campaign, the debate moment that got the most attention will probably be seen as a wash. It helped move her up in the polls also had a fatal flaw in it that, not only was she attacking Biden (and how that would be perceived), but also that the issue she was attacking Biden on (school busing) is, whether one likes the policy or not, wildly unpopular with the broader American public. I'd hazard a guess that its unpopularity does cross racial lines as well at this point in time. And after a few days of positive coverage after the attack, IIRC, she had to clarify that she doesn't necessarily agree with busing as a broad policy.

But what I think has really hurt her is her inability to put out a coherent stance on the most important issue of the primary thus far (ie. healthcare). With Biden/Warren/Sanders, whether one likes them or prefers them in this contest, you know where exactly they stand on the issue.... Kamala has been a mystery. Popularity and personality are important, of course, but (at least in a Dem primary) you gotta be able to put out a coherent policy message.

I also got put off by Harris when Tulsi smacked her down and Harris later replied that Tulsi was basically beneath her. At this rate, it won't be long before Harris and Tulsi have similar poll numbers.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I also got put off by Harris when Tulsi smacked her down and Harris later replied that Tulsi was basically beneath her. At this rate, it won't be long before Harris and Tulsi have similar poll numbers.

I forgot about the Tulsi moment.... I don't care for Tulsi, but she drew blood with that line no doubt.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:19 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Steyer hasn't filed bankruptcy so is he really even a good businessman?

Not even once?

Trump has 4 of 'em... he must be the BEST BUSINESSMAN EVER!!!!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Not even once?

Trump has 4 of 'em... he must be the BEST BUSINESSMAN EVER!!!!!!!!!!

6 of them.