chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

Only posting here in light of the discussion about Greene, but this turn in the party toward the crass is the kinda stuff that does put states like Georgia and Texas in play.

To the extent there was any chance that House GOP would attempt to put distance between themselves and Greene, that's gone

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Ah. Corey Booker. Hmm

Corey Booker is one of those African Americans dontcha know

I crunched the numbers and I prefer Corey Booker over whoever Trump has doing whatever Trump is talking about

• Thanks 1

We all know a neurosurgeon is the most qualified to run HUD and a witchdoctor is the best person to handle a pandemic. 

This is amazing.  If you don't know the source of the original quote.  Look it up.   Hint: Strummer and Guthrie.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

I mean, "I" would like a more moderate Republican Party.  Or at least what I consider to be moderate.  But I am getting more and more pessimistic that anything like that will emerge anytime soon.

I hope I'm wrong and that my original thoughts about Republicans moving a little bit to the center would be enough to attract enough black and hispanics voters to become viable nationally would be true.  But I'm beginning to doubt that as it seems that they keep being dragged further and further right by their culture warrior activist class.

While I can sit and complain about the two party system we have all day, one of the few benefits is it will force a correction.  The GOP was already moving in that direction under Steele and Priebus.  Dubya was the last GOP president prior to Trump and his public message was inclusivity.

They got away with rallying the base while demoralizing voter output for opposition.  I just can't see that continuing.  Losing will force change.

25 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Losing will force change.

I'm not so sure. The situation is much different from when LBJ or Reagan carried 49 states. Even a loss on the big end of what looks possible, say 400 electoral votes, is going to leave the GOP very comfortably in control of a couple of dozen states. At the direct self-interest level of those GOP office holders, if they can get re-elected using a Trump style appeal,  it won't matter if they now present a regional party that can't win national elections.

It will be suprising if Biden/Harris don't win come November.  What will be interesting to observe is how the media cover Biden/Harris, and the tone/narrative it will attempt to set.  You can already see hints of "Biden/Harris are going to save the US", which isn't what I'd called unbiased, fact based reporting.  

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

You can already see hints of "Biden/Harris are going to save the US", which isn't what I'd called unbiased, fact based reporting.  

I'd be curious to see examples.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Sounds like 2016

I didn't take a deep dive yet into what they've written but skimming it the impression I get is this is a stronger 71% than Hillary but since it's still August they have to account for many potential changes.  In other words if their numbers are still like this in late Oct the probably goes up for Biden.... they're baking in unknowns.

16 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Of course it's Harris. Had to be Harris from the beginning really.

Stacey Abrams says that she is really Biden's pick for a running mate.

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'd be curious to see examples.

I'm sure Fox News will have that narrative but somehow the most watched news network isn't considered mainstream. 

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

It will be suprising if Biden/Harris don't win come November.  What will be interesting to observe is how the media cover Biden/Harris, and the tone/narrative it will attempt to set.  You can already see hints of "Biden/Harris are going to save the US", which isn't what I'd called unbiased, fact based reporting.  

I'll be honest, I don't think it will be interesting to observe how the media cover Biden/Harris.   Media bias arguments aren't interesting.

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

HOW SO?  TRUMP IS BLATANTLY TAKING HELP FROM A FOREIGN ADVERSARY

sorry to shout but, come on.