chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

Bumper stickers for this campaign:

Trump 2020: Pandemics are all in our head

Trump 2020: Unwilling to denounce Russia because reasons

Trump 2020: Satisfying his racist base

Trump 2020: More Questions than Answers

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

The water in the toilet bowl is swirling down the drain.  If it should stop draining- if the flush should stop because of a clog- its possible that the toilet will overflow again.  Lets hope the plumbing isn't the problem we need all the turds to go to the waste treatment plant.

I'm not counting Trump out... dude is like a cockroach after all.

Having said that, there isn't a ton of time left for things to turn around. We are further away from the beginning of March (and COVID) than we are to Election Day. And with mail ballots and early voting, the votes will start being cast in a matter of weeks in some places.

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm not counting Trump out... dude is like a cockroach after all.

Having said that, there isn't a ton of time left for things to turn around. We are further away from the beginning of March (and COVID) than we are to Election Day. And with mail ballots and early voting, the votes will start being cast in a matter of weeks in some places.

VP choice is the last major barrier to ballot decisions.   If Biden picks someone who could not or should not be president then the variables change.  

I think the vast majority of voters are expecting a center-left rather than left wing candidate. 

Trump still has like 4 months to go totally Herb Hoover on the economic depression he created. 

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

Trump still has like 4 months to go totally Herb Hoover on the economic depression he created. 

You would imagine he would do as much as possible to pump and dump the economy.

7 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm embarassed to say that until recent history, like within 10 years, I didn't know of Hoover's involvement in restoring Europe after WWII.  It's a very fascinating story.  Truman called him into action and he saved the continent... 

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yep, that'll help bring the suburban wine moms in Oakland County and Montco back into the fold.... lol

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

I'm embarassed to say that until recent history, like within 10 years, I didn't know of Hoover's involvement in restoring Europe after WWII.  It's a very fascinating story.  Truman called him into action and he saved the continent... 

Some Presidents are just better former Presidents than they were serving (also see: Jimmy Carter)

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Trump is so dumb.  

We are a couple adderall bumps away from Trump re-segregating the country

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

only because it appears he is going to lose.  if the virus dissipates, the economy comes back, and trump begins to gain popularity, most who are hedging their bets would flock back.

tis the nature of the beast.

Hard to see the economy helping him. We are in the 3rd quarter and states are having to reduce openings. At this point I don't think it is possible for the economy to show enough recovery before the election. But it's more than that. Other than Reagan (an outlier because people saw inflation as the bigger issue), Presidents/parties generally don't get forgiven for economic downturns on their watch even if the economy has turned before the election. People's income may have recovered but the unease about what they lost does not just disappear. 

And if the 1st vaccine emerges from Europe or China, he is really screwed.

55 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Some Presidents are just better former Presidents than they were serving (also see: Jimmy Carter)

yeah - Hoover was no dummy but he was a victim of his own conventional (pre Keynesisan) understanding of economics. And of course you have to wonder even if he weren't whether his own party would have passed Roosevelt style recovery programs had he even thought to propose them. The 32 election gave FDR a big majority in the House.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm totally unaware of it until reading your post.  

57 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

We are a couple adderall bumps away from Trump re-segregating the country

He's already trying to, just on a de facto basis rather than on a de jure basis.

Sounds like, on balance, the Trump administration does not expect this virus to get better any time soon....

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Sounds like, on balance, the Trump administration does not expect this virus to get better any time soon....

I remember when the Republicans were the pro-life party and had 9 investigations into Benghazi. 

35 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

No worries, Rasmussen still says only -6

very interesting

See also the rumint that kavanaugh is feeding Trump info

In other news, just kill off the stupid Electoral College already.

4 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

The water in the toilet bowl is swirling down the drain.  If it should stop draining- if the flush should stop because of a clog- its possible that the toilet will overflow again.  Lets hope the plumbing isn't the problem we need all the turds to go to the waste treatment plant.

I don't actually want to picture this in my mind...

However,

I do like the visceral representation.