chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

The Joni Ernst stuff requires Ron Howard narration.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I've heard it suggested that her performance Downstate in 2016 (relative to Clinton) has as much to do with Mark Kirk being a squishy moderate North Shore R as it did anything Tammy did. FWIW

mark kirk had a stroke the year before and could barely complete sentences for almost a year. 

republicans are screwed in illinois.  you cant win anything in the state if you cant win the chicago burbs, but you have a really hard time winning downstate if youre moderate enough to win the chicago burbs.

so they lose.  a lot.

they only seem to be competitive lately when the democrats get caught for corruption.

being democrats in illinois, this happens a lot.

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

mark kirk had a stroke the year before and could barely complete sentences for almost a year. 

republicans are screwed in illinois.  you cant win anything in the state if you cant win the chicago burbs, but you have a really hard time winning downstate if youre moderate enough to win the chicago burbs.

so they lose.  a lot.

they only seem to be competitive lately when the democrats get caught for corruption.

I have some boring southern Illinois Trumpies who break into my FB posts on occasion.  Yeah, the Blues Brothers was a documentary on that score.  

3 hours ago, jbhappy said:

un-*******-real

Why is it surprising?  All the Republicans support everything that Trump does.  It would have been shocking if she criticized him.  

49 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so they lose.  a lot.

Doesn't help that the suburbs are not Henry Hyde's or Denny Hastert's suburbs anymore.... 

DuPage and Kane Counties are historically some of the most Republican counties in the United States, and yet you really have to squint to see the future of the GOP there

39 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Why is it surprising?  All the Republicans support everything that Trump does.  It would have been shocking if she criticized him.  

Many of us do not support him.

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Despite Buddha's objection, I think she makes the most sense.

there is an article like this about a different candidate every week.  last week was warren.

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Yikes

jesus christ.  pathetic.

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

there is an article like this about a different candidate every week.  last week was warren.

yeah - this rotational candidate of the week is a feature of the process. You let people know how serious you are about 'X' and then you sit back and analyze the return vibes. The indirectness of the process benefits all the players.

38 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Many of us do not support him.

The Republicans in power support him.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Republicans not in power got there by not supporting him.......

34 minutes ago, Buddha said:

jesus christ.  pathetic.

Well I mean obviously one was a black guy....

29 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The number of those who do not support him are growing faster than those who support him.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

jesus christ.  pathetic.

There is no good answer to that question.

Or at least good for the Republican Party.

Oddly enough I though about this as I showered, and I suspect many of us have been in a meeting, be it with a client / customer or person high up in the organization where there is an uncomfortable question asked for which there is no good answer.  I can't speak for others, but the thankfully few times I have been in that position, the only answer I can come up with to salvage the situation / save face is to just come clean.

Meaning the answer Joni should have given would have been to say that now that she better understands the challenges managing a pandemic, she does not think Obama exhibited failed leadership in managing the Ebola crisis.

That was the way to answer the question credibly.

If she felt the need to fluff Donald Trump, go on to say the current administration is making great strides, yada, yada, yada.

But the larger (and more disappointing) point for me is I think her answer is indicative of how partisan the environment is.  Meaning we are so polarized that the thought of giving that answer doesn't even enter the politician 's mind because they are incapable of admitting someone on the other side didn't do something wrong (let alone did something right).

And this isn't a one party thing.  I want to slam on Republicans, and they frankly are an easy target, but Democrats are guilty of this type of rhetoric as well.  It isn't conducive to solving problems, which is something we kinda have in large supply.

Both sides appear to view everything as a zero sum game, so anything positive said about the other guy detracts from their cause.  It bums me out because we have a crisis in our country and this type of mindset only serves to perpetuate it.

I don't know how we will move past it absent a blowout outcome in November, which is 4 months from now.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Oddly enough I though about this as I showered

Inside or outside?  

Its because Antifa is a self owning manufactrovery.

6 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

The number of those who do not support him are growing faster than those who support him.

only because it appears he is going to lose.  if the virus dissipates, the economy comes back, and trump begins to gain popularity, most who are hedging their bets would flock back.

tis the nature of the beast.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

only because it appears he is going to lose.  if the virus dissipates, the economy comes back, and trump begins to gain popularity, most who are hedging their bets would flock back.

tis the nature of the beast.

The water in the toilet bowl is swirling down the drain.  If it should stop draining- if the flush should stop because of a clog- its possible that the toilet will overflow again.  Lets hope the plumbing isn't the problem we need all the turds to go to the waste treatment plant.