chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK - Israel is maybe the one advanced democracy whose politics are more broken than ours. The government as been thrall to radical minorities for decades - real democracy is pretty well subverted.

And this is really the same problem in the US as well. We have gotten to a point where small minorities of the population are frustrating the will of the majority. Our system isn't supposed to work that way, but the way the rules have evolved in the House and Senate (and of course the population imbalance in Senate representation) mean majorities can no longer express their will as policy. 

get rid of the filibuster.  get rid of lifetime supreme court appointments.  get rid of "first past the post" elections.  move to a parliamentary system of government that forces you to build a coalition to get legislation passed.

then you might see a proliferation of smaller parties like you do in other countries.

that said, im not sure that would be any better at unifying the country.

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

get rid of the filibuster.  get rid of lifetime supreme court appointments.  get rid of "first past the post" elections.  move to a parliamentary system of government that forces you to build a coalition to get legislation passed.

then you might see a proliferation of smaller parties like you do in other countries.

that said, im not sure that would be any better at unifying the country.

Of course even across parliamentary systems the rules vary enough that some end up with small parties with outsized influence (Israel) and some don't (UK).  I think in the US just ending Gerrymandering can fix a lot and that doesn't require any structural change. Watch to see if Michigan's legislature flips in 2022 under the new redistricting system. The House might flip in 2020 even without new maps but MI Senators are not up in 2020.

I actually like lifetime Supreme Court appointments. I think having the Courts operate at a different cultural timescale is a good balancing effect overall even if it always seems frustrating in the present.

Even the filibuster is not so bad if they would just make people actually have to stand up and talk so that it isn't easy. 

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Of course even across parliamentary systems the rules vary enough that some end up with small parties with outsized influence (Israel) and some don't (UK).  I think in the US just ending Gerrymandering can fix a lot and that doesn't require any structural change. Watch to see if Michigan's legislature flips in 2022 under the new redistricting system. The House might flip in 2020 even without new maps but MI Senators are not up in 2020.

I actually like lifetime Supreme Court appointments. I think having the Courts operate at a different cultural timescale is a good balancing effect overall even if it always seems frustrating in the present.

i would love to see an end to gerrymandering, but how can you do that while maintaining minority representation districts which the law requires you to do?

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i would love to see an end to gerrymandering, but how can you do that while maintaining minority representation districts which the law requires you to do?

Majority minority districts is another thing that I really believe has been horrible for AA. Nothing the racial status quo loved more. To have leverage in 5 districts instead of a POC rep in one is where real power lies. It should be done away with. Maybe there was a time when POC needed visibility - today they need power.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

that's a point people often miss.... some of the "white" districts are there because they had to make a "black" district.

What some call gerrymandering others call civil rights.  

To be totally blind they should just bring in a committee from out of state, tell them nothing about demograhics other than population #, and let them draw them up.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

that's a point people often miss.... some of the "white" districts are there because they had to make a "black" district.

What some call gerrymandering others call civil rights.  

To be totally blind they should just bring in a committee from out of state, tell them nothing about demograhics other than population #, and let them draw them up.

draw them up on strictly geographical lines would be another way to do it.  longitude and latitude.

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

I saw this on the mobile page for MTS earlier today. 

What a friggin' joke!

It looks to me in that ad like Trump is leading an army of masked ne'er-do-wells.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It looks to me in that ad like Trump is leading an army of masked ne'er-do-wells.

he’s really locked in on the subject.  

i would come up with some “Inception” riff about his father’s legacy but he’s just as much a crap human as his Dad

In addition to one or two Supreme Court nomination fights, the GOP is trying to float the "no DC statehood for the awful blacks"

as possible issues to energize their base

I can't believe Republicans are now arguing that the tax paying citizens of Washington DC aren't real people.

They have not ponied up an "East Dakota" option for a trade for a state where they would gain two GOP senators to offset the DC gain of 2 Dem senators.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

but how can you do that while maintaining minority representation districts which the law requires you to do?

This is actually a good example of how race consciousness in the law can be used in ways contradictory to its intent. The requirement is that consideration should be given to minority majority districts. That has been used to as an excuse to produce 100% minority districts that concentrate and thus vitiate minority representation rights. But that is not the requirement.

30 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This is actually a good example of how race consciousness in the law can be used in ways contradictory to its intent. The requirement is that consideration should be given to minority majority districts. That has been used to as an excuse to produce 100% minority districts that concentrate and thus vitiate minority representation rights. But that is not the requirement.

agreed.

good luck getting rid of it.  people dont like to lose power.

26 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

nice

This reminds me, Paul Whelan was recently sentenced to 16 years of hard labor in Russia under sketchy circumstances. Have we heard anything about that from Trump? Trump was sure vocal about the rapper arrested in Sweden. 

38 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Donald Trump would have turned to his secret service and said "Get it away from me."

My wife concurs with the Mr Burns voice.   Yep.

That boy is probably too young to remember Obama so his first memories in life are during the Trump administration and will never know a pre-Trump world. 

16 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

My wife concurs with the Mr Burns voice.   Yep.

56 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Donald Trump would have turned to his secret service and said "Get it away from me."

Good luck trying to turn that man into Hillary Clinton's negatives.

If you're running for Congress, never hire McLaughlin to do your polling.