Jump to content

chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

If the Republicans win in 2020, they are promising to GUT Social Security and Medicare:

 

This is always a losing issue for Republicans, and Trump knows it. I doubt they are outward about any desire to cut the financial lifeline of a major chunk of their base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Euphdude said:

This is always a losing issue for Republicans, and Trump knows it. I doubt they are outward about any desire to cut the financial lifeline of a major chunk of their base. 

So every Democratic candidate, and whoever wins the nomination... should be blaring this at FULL BLAST all across the nation. Daily. 24/7.

"Republicans are coming to STEAL YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE!!!"

Should I make that louder? Or add more apostrophes for emphasis...?

:wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

So every Democratic candidate, and whoever wins the nomination... should be blaring this at FULL BLAST all across the nation. Daily. 24/7.

If they were smart they would. Tribalism starts to fall apart when politicians threaten to take away income that has been paid into by people their entire lives. Those non-educated white men Trump needs for re-election are significant users of Social Security benefits in addition to retirees who tend to vote more for Republicans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

If they were smart they would. Tribalism starts to fall apart when politicians threaten to take away income that has been paid into by people their entire lives. Those non-educated white men Trump needs for re-election are significant users of Social Security benefits in addition to retirees who tend to vote more for Republicans. 

Bingo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is a cult. These people think Trump is their savior. These dumbasses would sign away their life savings to Trump. 

Some of them.

But I think a pretty good portion - the seniors especially - would snap back into reality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is a cult. These people think Trump is their savior. These dumbasses would sign away their life savings to Trump. 

I suspect Trump’s base as a group draws more from Social Security than the rest of the country.   That base would fracture if Trump told them he’s going to take away a big part of their livelihood, and the GOP would get destroyed in future elections at all levels. They like to talk about getting rid of Social Security and Medicare, but it’s never going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CNN: Joe Biden Asks What If Obama Had Been Assassinated At New Hampshire Townhall

I get that he was invoking his memory of being a young person and a student when MLK and RFK were assassinated, but why even bring something up like this at a campaign event? What parallel does it have to what's going on now with Trump or any current event in the country or world? I think this is a strange question to pose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

CNN: Joe Biden Asks What If Obama Had Been Assassinated At New Hampshire Townhall

I get that he was invoking his memory of being a young person and a student when MLK and RFK were assassinated, but why even bring something up like this at a campaign event? What parallel does it have to what's going on now with Trump or any current event in the country or world? I think this is a strange question to pose.

I listened to the clip but it was too short to see where he was going with it. He did specify that the question was what would have happened if he had been assassinated after becoming "the deFacto nominee" which is vague but still an important qualifier because that is not a question that asks the listener to imaging a Biden Presidency, which CNN's headline incorrectly but clearly implies. ( CNN's critics are correct. whatever they are bias wise,  they are incredibly sloppy just journalism wise).

I think he is trying to get the audience to imagine how he felt by saying to them that it was how they would have felt if Obama has been killed. I don't think there is anything wrong with the semantics of that, but he could have been a little more explicit exactly so that he could not be taken out of context. That is one of Joe's big problems, he is not a very linear speaker and it's too easy for him to leave his little rhetorical cul-de-sacs hanging incompletely explained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I listened to the clip but it was too short to see where he was going with it. He did specify that the question was what would have happened if he had been assassinated after becoming "the deFacto nominee" which is vague but still an important qualifier because that is not a question that asks the listener to imaging a Biden Presidency, which CNN's headline incorrectly but clearly implies. ( CNN's critics are correct. whatever they are bias wise,  they are incredibly sloppy just journalism wise)

Was just about to post this.... I don't see the issue with the response in context. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Congrats to Tulsi landing the coveted David Duke endorsement 

In the sane times...this would have put a nail in her political coffin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pfife said:

 

He's very saccharin.  I'm sure the GOP voters will smell that out as they are indeed very discerning in the primary process.

Er, not lately.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

He's very saccharin.  I'm sure the GOP voters will smell that out as they are indeed very discerning in the primary process.

Er, not lately.   

I know a lot of folks on Twitter are basically calling this a grift and that no one should contribute. And it very well could be a grift and no Democrat should give him a penny, no argument there.

Having said that, the logical arc that Walsh has followed in this era is one that some (albeit small) group of Trump voters have followed. And we should encourage people to come forward, not mock them when they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just add that it's a speaks poorly to the current state of the GOP that (no offense to Bill Weld or Mark Sanford) Joe Walsh is likely to be the most credible challenger to one of the worst Presidents of the past 100 years.

Like, Mitt needs to find his gonads and do this. It shouldn't have to fall to Joe Walsh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL Mitt Romney. I wish people would go away with that tool. The guy didn't have enough balls to stand by his own health care policy let alone challenge the Republican party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'd just add that it's a speaks poorly to the current state of the GOP that (no offense to Bill Weld or Mark Sanford) Joe Walsh is likely to be the most credible challenger to one of the worst Presidents of the past 100 years.

Like, Mitt needs to find his gonads and do this. It shouldn't have to fall to Joe Walsh

IDK, what was the line that someone quoted from Maya Angelou? "When someone shows you who they are, believe them." Mitt's world construct is that of 19th century religious patriarch. In the end the blow dried hair and Saville Row suits couldn't keep it hidden forever. His differences with Trump are more style than substance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, now we know why Walsh has been criticizing Trump all year.  It's not because he cares, but because he is looking for political gain.  Politicians suck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...