chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If Biden wins the plurality of delegates and has momentum, I can't imagine he does not gain the nomination, and gain it quickly.  Especially given he will do the necessary horse trading (i.e. offering VP and cabinet roles to the right people) to get the support to secure the nomination expeditiously.

The rest of your post is disjointed. 

The ability to fill a gym means relatively little and ignores the fact that lots of people are voting for Biden over Sanders despite the fact Sanders can supposedly fill a gym better.

All the success of the past 3 years?  Most Americans view the last 3 years as a **** show.  Same individuals, by and large, view the Obama presidency fondly.  That favors Biden if anything.

Biden has gaffes, but, I don't know, have you ever heard Donald Trump speak?  I mean really listen to him?

Yeah, I think we are seeing from these more recent results that the “excitement” factor surrounding a candidate doesn’t do much to actually win more votes than the other guy. 

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

For as stupid as Donald Trump is, his team is pretty smart. The fact that Donald is tweeting so much in support of Bernie Sanders paints a pretty clear picture of Trump having his best chance in a race against Bernie. That’s not exactly anything new, of course. 

He did the same thing in 2016. He just wants to create division in the party. I'm not sure he is openly campaigning to face Sanders. Remember, Russia is supporting both Sanders and Trump.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, I think we are seeing from these more recent results that the “excitement” factor surrounding a candidate doesn’t do much to actually win more votes than the other guy. 

yeah, or.... that maybe we (everyone) underestimated excitement for Biden?

I think it is excitement over the idea of defeating Donald Trump and Biden, rightly or wrongly, is perceived as the best candidate to do it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

I don't think there is any excitement for Biden.  His appeal seems to be that he's not Trump or Sanders.  

11 minutes ago, pfife said:

I mean excitement as in making a point to spend hours of your day hanging out in a local high school gym to cheer for the candidate. 

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think there is any excitement for Biden.  His appeal seems to be that he's not Trump or Sanders.  

Clearly you aren't a Nevertrump Republican or African American. 

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I'm not sure how one can walk away from last night thinking that there's more excitement for Sanders than Biden, tbh.

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He did the same thing in 2016. He just wants to create division in the party. I'm not sure he is openly campaigning to face Sanders. Remember, Russia is supporting both Sanders and Trump.

I think Russia is supporting Sanders because they want him to run against Trump so Trump can win. 

But I agree that trying to create division within the Democratic Party is a factor, too. 

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm not sure how one can walk away from last night thinking that there's more excitement for Sanders than Biden, tbh.

I think there is excitement for Sanders, just not a broad base - like Trump in 2016.  Both needed a large field in order to win the nomination.  That is why Klobuchar and Buttigieg dropped out so quickly.  All I hear about Biden is that he's going to be President for one term and just get things back to status quo.  That might be a good plan, but it's not exciting.  I think he'll be about as popular as Hillary Clinton. Hopefully, he'll win the swing states.

People don't want excitement or passion... or put another way, they don't care about it.  They want Donald Trump out of office and they also want to go back to not hearing what the President said every day.  they want a speech not filled with anger, insults, petty lies, and big lies... which is what Trump does every single time he speaks.  They want a boring presidency.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Yeah,  those democrats are so divided and only Trump can provide clarity.  Meanwhile the number of former GOP voters swells for Dems and Biden has a blowout night. 

The real winners are the Republican Senate, who can now take Hunter Biden out of mothballs.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

People don't want excitement or passion... or put another way, they don't care about it.  They want Donald Trump out of office and they also want to go back to not hearing what the President said every day.  they want a speech not filled with anger, insults, petty lies, and big lies... which is what Trump does every single time he speaks.  They want a boring presidency.

That is what I want too.  

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Bernie Sanders really is in this to defeat Donald Trump, he would drop out now and endorse Biden. Maybe wait until he gets trounced in Florida but he should drop out soon.

That would pee off Putin, so don't count on that. It might be more likely Bernie will mount a third-party run than he endorses Biden.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Remember this guy?

He's an unrepentant Russia asset as far as I'm concerned. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Hum Baby!

The other thing about energizing a base that I think gets lost.

Bernie can energize a base and get a bunch of people in California and New York to show up.

Trump can energize a base and get a bunch of people in rural Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan to show up.

The left wing bubble is isolated to certain geographic areas.