Jump to content

chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So her family is homophobic and anti-Semitic or it just so happens they won't vote for the gay person and Jewish person in the race?

So you are saying they homophobic and anti semtic but not racist and anti woman?  They were also a maybe on the old white guy.  For your statement to be credible they'd have been a Yes on Biden and Maybe on the women and Yang too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Oblong said:

So you are saying they homophobic and anti semtic but not racist and anti woman?  They were also a maybe on the old white guy.  For your statement to be credible they'd have been a Yes on Biden and Maybe on the women and Yang too.

 

 

Their answer on Mayor Pete and Yang is the same type of answer my dad would give you about Obama. My dad would never tell you he hates Obama because he's black, because he wouldn't want his racism out in the open like that. But spend an hour watching Fox News stories about Obama or a football game with my dad and you'll quickly realize that he hates Obama simply because he's black. Dollars to donuts her dad uses another three letter word to describe gays that she won't tell you about because she's probably a decent person who is ashamed and embarrassed, just as I am about my father.

Maybe I am just a cynic and should give her family the benefit of the doubt, but I've lived around phobic (homophobic, Islamophobic) and ist (racist, sexist) Republicans like my dad for too long to think otherwise. Shame on me for stereotyping them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Having worked for the MDP in 2018 there was an enormous focus on Detroit, even predating the 2018 election. In 2017 the MDP launched what they called "Project 83" where they hired a dozen organizers and sent them to all 83 counties in Michigan. They had them start recruiting volunteers and door knocking a year and a half before the 2018 midterms. Detroit was a huge focus of Project 83 and once we got within the 6 month mark there were two campaign offices in Detroit staffed with two Field Organizers a piece. Additionally, the Whitmer campaign had two field offices of its own (one off of McNichols and the other off of Livernois) during the primary. There were tens-of-millions of dollars invested into the MDP and the Project 83/GOTV efforts for 2018.

I was talking about the presidential election. I lived in Detroit in 2008 and there was a huge Obama presence. In 2012 I was living in Warren and the Obama presence was larger than the Hillary presence. Only one field office I can recall in southern Macomb County. Despite the reputation Macomb County gets, the southern part of the county is very Democratic but got the lowest turnout. There was still a lower turnout in 2016 in Wayne county. Michigan is going to come down to turnout. With Bloomberg throwing his money around in Michigan, hopefully he gets them out in Detroit and doesn't forget there is a lot of potential in Macomb County.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Their answer on Mayor Pete and Yang is the same type of answer my dad would give you about Obama. My dad would never tell you he hates Obama because he's black, because he wouldn't want his racism out in the open like that. But spend an hour watching Fox News stories about Obama or a football game with my dad and you'll quickly realize that he hates Obama simply because he's black. Dollars to donuts her dad uses another three letter word to describe gays that she won't tell you about because she's probably a decent person who is ashamed and embarrassed, just as I am about my father.

Maybe I am just a cynic and should give her family the benefit of the doubt, but I've lived around phobic (homophobic, Islamophobic) and ist (racist, sexist) Republicans like my dad for too long to think otherwise. Shame on me for stereotyping them.

so anyone who is skeptical of Mayor Pete or Bernie are homophobic and anti semites?  That's the ONLY explanation?

Again... if they were like you thought they'd have found a reason to not vote for the women or for Yang too and been all in on the moderate white straight man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

so anyone who is skeptical of Mayor Pete or Bernie are homophobic and anti semites?  That's the ONLY explanation?

No, but given all the baiting that Trump does and did back in 2016 when these people voted for him, I have my doubts. As I said prior too, growing up around my Republican dad (plus some of the friends he hung around with) and knowing how they were/are, gives me skepticism too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They can give all the reasons they want, but it creates a bad look on their part when they'll only vote for the straight, white candidates and are either a maybe or a no on everyone else. When I hear about lifelong Republicans who voted for Trump in 2016 but won't vote for a Jewish or gay man I can't help but stereotype them and think why that might be. I'm not implying these people were marching with tiki torches saying "Jews will not replace us" but these people likely knew full well the bating that Trump and his surrogates did around anyone not like them (i.e. straight and white).

Bad look or not, they provided valid reasons. And they also criticized straight white Biden. So I guess the conclusion is that this family is only interested in voting for white females. Bunch of racist homophobic anti-Semitic “reverse“ sexists if you ask me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They can give all the reasons they want, but it creates a bad look on their part when they'll only vote for the straight, white candidates and are either a maybe or a no on everyone else. When I hear about lifelong Republicans who voted for Trump in 2016 but won't vote for a Jewish or gay man I can't help but stereotype them and think why that might be. I'm not implying these people were marching with tiki torches saying "Jews will not replace us" but these people likely knew full well the bating that Trump and his surrogates did around anyone not like them (i.e. straight and white).

Bless your heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Bad look or not, they provided valid reasons. And they also criticized straight white Biden. So I guess the conclusion is that this family is only interested in voting for white females. Bunch of racist homophobic anti-Semitic “reverse“ sexists if you ask me. 

The reality is that there are a bunch of voters who:

  1. Don't follow this stuff as closely as we do
  2. Often come to conclusions that are different than what we ourselves would come to about individual candidates
  3. With respect to (2), do so not out of malice but simply based on a differening world view or experiences

We really need to get away with painting broad strokes about people who may come to conclusions different than ours. It's really frustrating, it's not fair and it is counterproductive toward the end goal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Eewww. Joe Rogan is trash. 

I'm mostly agnostic on Rogan, but his propogating of the "White Genocide" theory in South Africa loses him a ton of credibility in my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to love how not liking Bernie Sanders is anti-semitism. How many average people even know Sanders is Jewish? He doesn't practice the religion, go to synagogue, observe Jewish holidays, wear a Yarmulke etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Got to love how not liking Bernie Sanders is anti-semitism. How many average people even know Sanders is Jewish? He doesn't practice the religion, go to synagogue, observe Jewish holidays, wear a Yarmulke etc. 

Clearly, these people are anti-Semites for not liking Bernie Sanders.

Also, here's this really cool endorsement of Sanders by Joe Rogan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spend all this time here calling out Trump supporters, the baiting, use of dog whistles, etc. Then, when Trump supporters talk about all the candidates they will and won't support, it just so happens that the Asian-American guy, the gay guy, and the Jewish guy are the three they are either lukewarm on or won't vote for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We spend all this time here calling out Trump supporters, the baiting, use of dog whistles, etc. Then, when Trump supporters talk about all the candidates they will and won't support, it just so happens that the Asian-American guy, the gay guy, and the Jewish guy are the three they are either lukewarm on or won't vote for.

Don’t forget the straight white guy. They also aren’t sold on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We spend all this time here calling out Trump supporters, the baiting, use of dog whistles, etc. Then, when Trump supporters talk about all the candidates they will and won't support, it just so happens that the Asian-American guy, the gay guy, and the Jewish guy are the three they are either lukewarm on or won't vote for.

They gave valid reasons for not liking Bernie Sanders. Frankly, they're all the same reasons I'm beginning not to like him. It has nothing to do with him being a Jew. I would dislike him even more if he were a bible thumping Christian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We spend all this time here calling out Trump supporters, the baiting, use of dog whistles, etc. 

Can't speak for others, but I mostly call out Trump himself.

Beating him.... that's where the focus should be. And yes, it's going to require some folks who voted for him in '16. It is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm mostly agnostic on Rogan, but his propogating of the "White Genocide" theory in South Africa loses him a ton of credibility in my eyes.

He also has given a voice to a large audience for friendly interviews with Alex Jones, Jordan Peterson and Milo. Not to mention his transphobia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Alex Jones was on Piers Morgan, Bill Maher had Milo on, ...

Oh yeah. They are all awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I'm mostly agnostic on Rogan, but his propogating of the "White Genocide" theory in South Africa loses him a ton of credibility in my eyes.

He is also "friends" with Alex Jones and has had him on his show multiple times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest NYT/Siena Iowa poll has Bernie up +7

Sanders 25, Buttigieg 18, Biden 17, Warren 15, Klobuchar 8, Yang 3, Booker, Steyer 3, Gabbard 1, Bloomberg 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...