Jump to content

chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Nope. 2020 first.

I'll worry about 2024 in 2024...

Democrats under Obama not worrying about the next election is in no small part one of the things that got us Trump and McConnell. Anything  in politics not done strategically  is done foolishly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Democrats under Obama not worrying about the next election is in no small part one of the things that got us Trump and McConnell...

Huh?

That has nothing to do with anything. Who was not worrying about 2016? And I'm not talking about the usual non-participants.

Worrying gots nothing to do with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Huh?

That has nothing to do with anything. Who was not worrying about 2016? And I'm not talking about the usual non-participants.

Worrying gots nothing to do with it...

Everyone stepped aside to let Hillary run. Did anyone in the beginning think Bernie Sanders was a serious candidate? Biden is probably president if he decided to run in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Everyone stepped aside to let Hillary run. Did anyone in the beginning think Bernie Sanders was a serious candidate? Biden is probably president if he decided to run in 2016.

actually I was thinking more along the lines that during the Obama years the dems did no party development - they didn't message strategically around their biggest accomplishment - ACA, and they set an implementation schedule for ACA that was strategically foolish, putting all the good stuff up front to be taken for granted while all the bad stuff came later where it could get sniped at 3 succeeding election cycles. That's what I mean about never, ever, ignoring strategic thinking. If Biden is worth the salt to get himself elected, he better have enough interest in consolidating the gain that would be to try and insure the GOP doesn't walk right back in in 4 yrs. Like we think the next GOP guy is going to be better than Trump? Who do you have in mind? Cruz? Pence? Jordan?  Hannity? Jared K? That's who the same party that vomited Trump on us is just as likely to try to foist on us the next time around if  Biden doesn't make a choice who projects to be a strong candidate as his successor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems as if everybody is being asked to step aside for Biden now.  Just put them all out there and let the people decide.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Party hacks don’t care for standard bearers.  Given his age it’s important for Biden to select a viable person to step in.  It doesn’t have to be a current potus candidate.  Maybe a governor we aren’t considering.  When you go back to nominees its Biden, Edwards, and Bush 41 where VP candidates ran for POTUS that same year.  That’s 3 out of the last 14 non incumbent tickets, going back to 1980. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

It seems as if everybody is being asked to step aside for Biden now.  Just put them all out there and let the people decide.  

Who is asking anyone to step aside for Biden?

Just because people support Biden doesn't mean they are telling other candidates to step aside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

It seems as if everybody is being asked to step aside for Biden now.  Just put them all out there and let the people decide.  

Trump is the one who needs to step aside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

there is one assumption in this story which is wrong. That is that anyone who sees this particular Constitution as failing is not necessarily a communist. The fact is that we have an antiquated foundation document with several major flaws which is decade by decade reaching a point where the flaws outweigh its particular virtues. A short list of those flaws being:

- a document that does not let people, even through the *democratic* action of legislatures, regulate dangerous weapons in the hands of dangerous people.

-a jurisprudence so idealized with respect to publishing that it has become incapable of defending itself from organized propagandist cyber aggression by hostile foreign powers.

-a federal jurisprudence that is so blind it has codified into immutable law a system in which individuals can no longer be distinguished from corporations and speech can no longer be distinguished from money.

-an upper legislative body in which 15% of the population can hold the other 85% hostage.

-an excess accretion of federal power over local issues.

The over-idealization and idolatry toward this particular Constitutional arrangement and the ossification of our politics with respect to amending and updating it has itself become a major driver of political disillusionment with the entire US political/social contract.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CNN poll: Bernie Sanders surges to join Biden atop Democratic presidential pack

Interesting tidbit. Given how Klobuchar is talked about here, you'd think she is lighting the world on fire:

Quote

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg lands at 5% in the poll, while Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and businessman Andrew Yang each hold 4% support

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

CNN poll: Bernie Sanders surges to join Biden atop Democratic presidential pack

Interesting tidbit. Given how Klobuchar is talked about here, you'd think she is lighting the world on fire:

 

Primaries always bring out the more extreme ideological voters. Klobuchar would be a better choice in a general election when you will have more moderate voters at the polls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Primaries always bring out the more extreme ideological voters. Klobuchar would be a better choice in a general election when you will have more moderate voters at the polls.

There is also something to be said for your base being excited about the candidate in a general election. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CNN Poll is looking like an outlier.... there's some others out today (Economist/YouGov; Morning Consult; Monmouth) showing Biden in the lead.

This is why it's better to look at aggregates, folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The CNN Poll is looking like an outlier.... there's some others out today (Economist/YouGov; Morning Consult; Monmouth) showing Biden in the lead.

This is why it's better to look at aggregates, folks.

Right, I always look at aggregate unless I know something about a poll that might make it more accurate than other polls.  The CNN poll is only interesting because it such a big shift from the December poll.  He is behind in other polls, but does seem to be extending his lead over Warren.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where this belongs, so I'll drop it here.  Not like Gabbert's campaign was ever likely to go anywhere in any event, but still ... Oh my!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 11:30 AM, mtutiger said:

Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. Particularly with respect to Bernie.

Winning back ground in 2020 isn't just about young voters, it's about suburban moderates (ie. the people who gave the Democrats control of the House). Tempermentally, Bernie is out of step with this cohort of people. I legit believe Warren has some room to compete here, but Bernie is a liability.

Do you believe that suburban moderates, most suburban especially women, who voted for candidates like Gretchen Whitmer or Haley Stevens in Michigan, Tony Evers in Wisconsin, Tom Wolf in Pennsylvania in 2018, etc. will suddenly shift back to Trump and/or stay home if Bernie Sanders is the nominee? Are the ideas of debt free college for their kids/grandkids, universal childcare, M4A, a humble foreign policy, corporate accountability, a federal jobs guarantee really so scary that they'd vote or stay home to keep Trump in office? Would it be some video clip from 1982 about Sanders talking about Daniel Ortega and the Sandistas (the average person thinks a Sandista is the person who makes your drink at Starbucks) or some other dirt dug up by Republicans that does it? The Democratic-Socialism label?

Conversely, the 18-35 crowd was told to shut up and get in line behind Hillary in 2016 and they watched as she lost to Donald Trump. I don't know that you can get them in line two election cycles in a row if Biden is the nominee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

.....

Conversely, the 18-35 crowd was told to shut up and get in line behind Hillary in 2016 and they watched as she lost to Donald Trump. I don't know that you can get them in line two election cycles in a row if Biden is the nominee.

... then, they’ll get the government they deserve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melody said:

Not sure where this belongs, so I'll drop it here.  Not like Gabbert's campaign was ever likely to go anywhere in any event, but still ... Oh my!

 

I'm definitely not a lawyer, but it seems like a long shot.  Public figure, and if I remember correctly, Hillary didn't actually name her.   I don't know how important that is, but I believe that's a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm definitely not a lawyer, but it seems like a long shot.  Public figure, and if I remember correctly, Hillary didn't actually name her.   I don't know how important that is, but I believe that's a fact.

Tulsi is just desperate for attention. Her run for the presidency was nothing but a sham from the start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm definitely not a lawyer, but it seems like a long shot.  Public figure, and if I remember correctly, Hillary didn't actually name her.   I don't know how important that is, but I believe that's a fact.

Not sure on the second part, but I do agree that the possibility of this going to trial let alone being successful is remote.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,812
    • Total Posts
      2,951,266
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...