chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I've said it before, but if he ends up the nominee, Biden needs to be gearing his pick toward someone who can be seen as a standard bearer in future years for the Democratic Party moreso than any sort of ideological/geographical balancing.

On paper, on that basis, Kamala seems like the smart pick to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went with someone who may not be on anyone's radar right now (perhaps someone like Terri Sewell or Val Demings)

AOC

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

AOC

She needs about five more years, doesn't she?

AOC was born in 1989 so she would be eligible to run in 2024. For the time being, she should be Speaker of the House.

I wasn't being serious, if that wasn't obvious already.

I don't know if the VP means as much as people often suggest.  Don't get me wrong, it would work great if you could tab someone that the party wants to groom for 2024, but that:

a. presumes you win 2020, which is likely but not a given, and

b. presumes the party will still feel that way in 2024 *and* the public desires a passing of the torch from Biden to his VP in 2024.

Regarding b., it is entirely possible that being associated with Biden hurts a potential candidate in 2024 in the hypothetical.

I think VP is more important for Biden than any candidate before him given his age and the fact he is likely a one term president. The VP he picks should be someone who would be a formidable candidate in 2024. The VP candidate would still need to go through a primary. If Biden hurts that candidate, than a new candidate will emerge.

I don't disagree with any of that in principle, just suggesting it is easy to overthink the thing.

Alternately, don't let perfection be the enemy of good.

Stacey Abrams. Amy Klobuchar. Kamala Harris. Marie Yovanovich. Amy McGrath. 

Katie Porter. (She’s flipping awesome)

Is it fair to say that a majority of Americans would like Hillary Clinton, and her husband, to STFU right now, and keep it that way?

1 minute ago, Charles Liston said:

Is it fair to say that a majority of Americans would like Hillary Clinton, and her husband, to STFU right now, and keep it that way?

Sounds about right. 

Yep.

10 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

as my mother used to say, she needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

as my mother used to say, she needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

So you're saying you want Hillary Clinton dead? Honestly, she's speaking the truth about Bernie and Tulsi. Just wish it was someone else who said it. 

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So you're saying you want Hillary Clinton dead? Honestly, she's speaking the truth about Bernie and Tulsi. Just wish it was someone else who said it. 

she can always swim.

49 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

yes

Is Hillary or Bill that relevant?

I get they are famous and their comments are reported on, so they probably influence some number of people, but I suspect the number is pretty small.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I get they are famous and their comments are reported on, so they probably influence some number of people, but I suspect the number is pretty small.

They influence people by their body count. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Don’t think they necessarily influence many, but some of these utterances are just annoying. 

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
Benjamin Franklin

25 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

They influence people by their body count. 

10 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

It's just a matter of helping people follow old Ben's advice....

I like Bill too. Bill and I can smoke a bowl and find a live pig and eat it.

I know I'm suppose to hate Hillary but I don't know why. 

30 minutes ago, pfife said:

I don't mind Hillary, and like Bill.

Bill is a slime ball with a gift for glad-handing that got him a lot further than a slime-ball should get.

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I've said it before, but if he ends up the nominee, Biden needs to be gearing his pick toward someone who can be seen as a standard bearer in future years for the Democratic Party moreso than any sort of ideological/geographical balancing....

I disagree with this.

As pointed out by other posters... being Biden's VP does not necessarily decree that person the next "standard bearer".

I actually for a moment thought, "yeah, I agree with that". Except, I don't. In my mind, the entire goal of 2020 is to win. So I think EXACTLY that ideological/ geographic balancing is a necessity. Just win Dems! 2020.

After 2020.... Then we can start talking about standard bearers. Progressive, centrist, Biden's VP, a rising Senatorial star... maybe one of each. But yeah, 2020 takes precedence over any other consideration.

In my mind.

3 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I disagree with this.

As pointed out by other posters... being Biden's VP does not necessarily decree that person the next "standard bearer".

I actually for a moment thought, "yeah, I agree with that". Except, I don't. In my mind, the entheretheretire goal of 2020 is to win. So I think EXACTLY that ideological/ geographic balancing is a necessity. Just win Dems! 2020.

After 2020.... Then we can start talking about standard bearers. Progressive, centrist, Biden's VP, a rising Senatorial star... maybe one of each. But yeah, 2020 takes precedence over any other consideration.

In my mind.

as practical politics, IF Biden is not going to stand in 2024 you have to put your best candidate in as VP now, otherwise you're asking for a bruising primary that is probably going to be bad for the party. So think ahead and don't make 2024's mistake that could be easily avoided now.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

as practical politics, IF Biden is not going to stand in 2024 you have to put your best candidate in as VP now, otherwise you're asking for a bruising primary that is probably going to be bad for the party. So think ahead and don't make 2024's mistake that could be easily avoided now.

Nope. 2020 first.

I'll worry about 2024 in 2024...