chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

14 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Did you hear crazy Joe now claims to know Kim Jung Un? 

Trump will be jealous.  He doesn't want anyone moving in on his North Korean boy friend.  

13 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Someone hacked his accountt. Even Sean Hannity is like “dude.....”

Do you think Trump should be throwing that particular stone around?   Stamina...fer real

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

Can we not?

Funny thing is that he is right but for the wrong reasons. We don't need to know or understand what political intricacies motivates the Chineses leadership on global warming, the facts on the ground about how fast they are trying to move can stand on their own. It is India that is the much harder nut to crack because the seriousness of sectarian and developmental issues there mean even a nominally democratic system's response capability is absorbed with other imperatives that appear more urgent to them.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Funny thing is that he is right but for the wrong reasons. We don't need to know or understand what political intricacies motivates the Chineses leadership on global warming, the facts on the ground about how fast they are trying to move can stand on their own. It is India that is the much harder nut to crack because the seriousness of sectarian and developmental issues there mean even a nominally democratic system's response capability is absorbed with other imperatives that appear more urgent to them.

XI is doing a damn fine job managing his sectarian issues?

20 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

XI is doing a damn fine job managing his sectarian issues?

That's not the question. Xi can manage or not manage his sectarian issues any he likes without it limiting whatever he wants to do about carbon emissions. India's picture is much murkier. It's really just the extension of Arthur Okun's old paradigm about equity vs efficiency in any economic-political system. Lack of equity may make a system immoral or evil or whatever you want to call it, but that does not prevent it from pursuing its economic goals efficiently. Which was why I said we don't need to know why the Chinese leadership decides to do something in this case, whether their reasons were ultimately good or bad ones, we only need to observe what they are doing and understand that whatever they are doing they likely have the ability to sustain it.

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That's not the question. Xi can manage or not manage his sectarian issues any he likes without it limiting whatever he wants to do about carbon emissions. India's picture is much murkier. It's really just the extension of Arthur Okun's old paradigm about equity vs efficiency in any economic-political system. Lack of equity may make a system immoral or evil or whatever you want to call it, but that does not prevent it from pursuing its economic goals efficiently. Which was why I said we don't need to know why the Chinese leadership decides to do something in this case, whether their reasons were ultimately good or bad ones, we only need to observe what they are doing and understand that whatever they are doing they likely have the ability to sustain it.

Walter Duranty said a lot of the same things about the Soviet Union:  the Russians are an Asiatic peoples and our western conceptions of democracy do not apply...Stalin is handling these unruly people with a soft hand.  

34 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Walter Duranty said a lot of the same things about the Soviet Union:  the Russians are an Asiatic peoples and our western conceptions of democracy do not apply...Stalin is handling these unruly people with a soft hand.  

There may be a certain truth that China (or Russia in its day) is still an enforced empire that can only be held together in the absence of free politics because all the people there really don't want to be together. But I think the 'error' lies less in the people than the existence of the empire so I might disagree with Duranty there. And of course the same irony is embedded in US history to a degree. Lincoln is deified for 'saving the Union' but that is not why he should be if you are willing to adopt the honest view of the founders as dispositive (i.e --,When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another..etc) . He should be lionized for ending slavery, whereas separated from the slavery issue, we might be better off today politically if the deep south were a separate nation with whom we only needed to co-exist across a border instead of the current situation where the evangelical South feels it is fighting an unending culture war against the balance of the secularized nation with both sides persuaded the beliefs of the other constitute cultural tyranny against themselves.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There may be a certain truth that China (or Russia in its day) is still an enforced empire that can only be held together in the absence of free politics because all the people there really don't want to be together. But I think the 'error' lies less in the people than the existence of the empire so I might disagree with Duranty there. And of course the same irony is embedded in US history to a degree. Lincoln is deified for 'saving the Union' but that is not why he should be if you are willing to adopt the honest view of the founders as dispositive (i.e --,When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another..etc) . He should be lionized for ending slavery, whereas separated from the slavery issue, we might be better off today politically if the deep south were a separate nation with whom we only needed to co-exist across a border instead of the current situation where the evangelical South feels it is fighting an unending culture war against the balance of the secularized nation with both sides persuaded the beliefs of the other constitute cultural tyranny against themselves.

I've now seen it all here....arguing that we'd be better off if the civil war had torn the country apart...

How far down the family tree does secret service protection go?

Does the stripper Hunter Biden knocked up get protection since shes the mom of Joe's grandson?  

Former VP's do not get protection... at some point during the campaign season protection is granted to candidates but I'm not sure we've reached that yet.  

I don't think they have reached that point either.

The father of one of my son's teammates is a retired secret service agent.  I will ask him how that works next time I see him, but my recollection is he was assigned roughly 8 months before the election in 2012 and 2016.

9 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I've now seen it all here....arguing that we'd be better off if the civil war had torn the country apart...

I just want the northeast to be separate.  No need to have the red states dragging down our economy with all their welfare. We'd still have to deal with New Hampshire.  I love their mountains though, so I'll be patient with them.  

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I just want the northeast to be separate.  No need to have the red states dragging down our economy with all their welfare. We'd still have to deal with New Hampshire.  I love their mountains though, so I'll be patient with them.  

Areas like the northeast have supported rural states for a while.  Relatively recent politics has given those rural states the political power to dictate policy that the states which support them don't necessarily care for, yet they continue to support rural states.  I understand the Founders didn't want power concentrated in areas of high population and wealth, but the system lately has been "gamed " to a degree in order to give more power to less people (gerrymandering being a prime example).

https://www.secretservice.gov/about/faqs/

The Secret Service DOES NOT determine who qualifies for protection, nor is the Secret Service empowered to independently initiate candidate protection.

Under 18 U.S.C.' 3056(a)(7), "[m]ajor Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates," as identified by the Secretary of Homeland Security, are eligible for Secret Service protection.

Title 18 U.S.C.' 3056(a)(7) authorizes the U.S. Secret Service to provide protection for major presidential and vice presidential candidates:

Protection is authorized by the DHS Secretary after consultation with the Congressional Advisory Committee

The Congressional Advisory Committee includes: Speaker of the House, House Minority Leader, Senate Majority Leader, Senate Minority Leader, and one additional member selected by the others

Criteria have been established to assist the DHS Secretary and the advisory committee in their decision making (as of 2017). Candidates must:

When determining whether a candidate for the Office of President or Vice President of the United States qualifies as a major candidate, the Secretary has broad discretion and may consider a variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to:

Whether the candidate has publicly announced his or her candidacy and has filed the appropriate documentation with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) and is in compliance with the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971, as amended, and related laws;

Whether the candidate is actively campaigning on a national basis for the office for which his or her candidacy has been announced, as demonstrated by operating a national campaign apparatus, regularly appearing at public events in multiple states, producing and publishing campaign advertisements, and other similar indicia of a campaign;

A threat assessment conducted by the Secret Service of general or specific threats directed towards the candidate. (for these purposes, “threats” should be defined as explicit threats of bodily harm to the candidate or indications of inappropriate behavior towards the candidate suggesting potential bodily harm);

Whether, during and within an active and competitive major party primary, the most recent average of established national polls, as reflected by the Real Clear Politics National Average or similar mechanism, the candidate is polling at 15% or more for 30 consecutive days;

Whether the candidate is the formal or de facto nominee of a major party for President or Vice President;

Whether the candidate is an independent or third party candidate for President polling at 20% or more of the Real Clear Politics National Average for 30 consecutive days;

Whether the candidate is the Vice Presidential running mate of the above independent or third party candidate

Title 18 U.S.C.' 3056(a)(7) states that the U.S. Secret Service is also authorized to protect spouses of major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates, as identified by the DHS Secretary, within 120 days of the general Presidential election. Some candidates have received protection earlier in the campaign pursuant to Presidential memoranda.

Who receives protection?

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I though the good skiing was in Vermont. Who needs NH?

? 

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I prefer the Redneck Republic.

Separate Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Florida (far enough above Tampa-Orlando-St. Augustine), Arkansas, Georgia & Tennessee into their own Redneck Republic...

And the rest of the United States will be better off.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I though the good skiing was in Vermont. Who needs NH?

?

Vermont is a nicer state overall, but I am not a skier.  The Whites are better than the Greens for hiking.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Vermont is a nicer state overall, but I am not a skier.  The Whites are better than the Greens for hiking.  

So racist. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

So racist. 

That was actually amusing.  

Especially when you consider how white both states are.  

Just now, tiger337 said:

That was actually amusing.  

Especially when you consider how white both states are.  

You set yourself up for it so well. 

14 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

You set yourself up for it so well. 

Don't say I never did anything for you.