chasfh

The 2020 Presidential Race

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/switzerland/

Looks like they have a large hard right political problem there ... as well. 

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Switzerland

So, not at all like Warren's Medicare For All

Another 'minor' difference is that no Swiss court will waste any time arguing the idea that you can't be compelled to obtain coverage.

My $.02 is there's no quicker way to lose an election than cut Medicare (as long as you're not running against the current Derelict democrat party).  Now imagine if everyone is on Medicare.   

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Another 'minor' difference is that no Swiss court will waste any time arguing the idea that you can't be compelled to obtain coverage.

And that even if that was illegal, that it couldn't be severed from the rest of the bill.

I want the same health care system as the United Kingdom, France, Austria, Norway and Germany, since they have the best health care in the world.

Oh... wait...

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

53 Trillion was the Medicare For All number that Elizabeth Warren came up with.  Its the argument that even IF Trump is viewed so negatively...it would be terrible tor reelect him -- assuming he survives December's impeachment -- because of a bizonkers number like that being used as a hammer against the D candidate.

sorry, i kinda didn't include that part

That's an insane estimate.   I've actually followed this, and most of the estimates I've seen for Sander's plan are around 35Trillion over 10 years, give/take

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/30/17631240/medicare-for-all-bernie-sanders-32-trillion-cost-voxcare

How is Sanders able to do is so much cheaper?   I'm wondering if the numbers are just different studies/assumptions, etc.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

That's an insane estimate.   I've actually followed this, and most of the estimates I've seen for Sander's plan are around 35Trillion over 10 years, give/take

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/30/17631240/medicare-for-all-bernie-sanders-32-trillion-cost-voxcare

How is Sanders able to do is so much cheaper?   I'm wondering if the numbers are just different studies/assumptions, etc.

the US economy is 20T per year. They say healthcare is ~20% of the economy - that would be be 4T per year. Most places with universal coverage end up spending a smaller proportion than the US, more in the range of 10% of GDP. So just on general principal you could expect single paying to start out at near 20% of GDP and trend downward toward 10% over the following 20yrs or so. Projections based on the current US system are almost pointless because the whole object is to change the US system. Looking at actual experience other G-7s is probably a  better predictor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

My $.02 is there's no quicker way to lose an election than cut Medicare (as long as you're not running against the current Derelict democrat party).  Now imagine if everyone is on Medicare.   

Cutting Medicare and Social Security is a sure fire way to turn a lot of red voters blue. The current Trump iteration of the GOP would shrivel and die. 

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the US economy is 20T per year. They say healthcare is ~20% of the economy - that would be be 4T per year. Most places with universal coverage end up spending a smaller proportion than the US, more in the range of 10% of GDP. So just on general principal you could expect single paying to start out at near 20% of GDP and trend downward toward 10% over the following 20yrs or so. Projections based on the current US system are almost pointless because the whole object is to change the US system. Looking at actual experience other G-7s is probably a  better predictor.

Yessir, I've done that same math here.   The Sanders plan is actually within the neighborhood of the current spend, and we get a lot more for it in terms of universal coverage, and he's planning to expand the benefits (hearing aids, dental he says a lot).   I'm just pretty perplexed that Warren's plan is estimated to be so much more expensive (at least according to these sources).   

12 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Cutting Medicare and Social Security is a sure fire way to turn a lot of red voters blue. The current Trump iteration of the GOP would shrivel and die. 

That's true, but the Democrats are committing political malpractice by not hammering him constantly on the fact that his budget calls for 845b in cuts to Medicare.

Yup.  Just keep hitting on facts like that while the other guy is busy insulting with childish caricatures and obvious misrepresentations.

The more he talks the more people will be fed up and finally without Hillary as the alternate will say "Enough... I'm tired of him and the nonsense... I want to go back to not hearing about the President every single day"  THat's the message I'd convey if I worked for the D nominee.

can I just throw something out...

How much would you estimate an Alpha Centauri mission cost?

Wow.....

Warren really needs to win Iowa.... probably more than Biden does.

Debate implications include Klobuchar now punching her ticket to the December debate and Tulsi qualifying for the November debate based off this polling.

30 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Debate implications include Klobuchar now punching her ticket to the December debate and Tulsi qualifying for the November debate based off this polling.

Tulsi has no interest in this election. Her actions are that of someone who wants publicity/wants to take Democrats out at the knees, but she is not interested in the Democratic Party nomination. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Probably not for long.  Is Harris going to continue hanging on?

In terms of the next Beto O'Rourke surprise dropout candidate, she's got to be it. 

It's not even so much the standing, but that she's shown zero sign of being able to turn around the death spiral.

2 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Tulsi has no interest in this election. Her actions are that of someone who wants publicity/wants to take Democrats out at the knees, but she is not interested in the Democratic Party nomination. 

Interesting observation.  She has kind of declared war on Hills.  I think that was the rot she was talking about. You might be right, she really has no shot, and too young and inexperienced as well.  If she can put a cork in the Clintons and the crooked DNC - more power to her.

Maybe Putin can even help.  ?

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Is Booker still in the race?

Superman ain’t done yet. ?

(we need a vegan in the race!)

I really like Cory Booker, I wish he was doing better.  He seems like a really good dude to me.

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

In terms of the next Beto O'Rourke surprise dropout candidate, she's got to be it. 

It's not even so much the standing, but that she's shown zero sign of being able to turn around the death spiral.

Today , she said she wanted students to go to school from 8 AM to 6 PM because the country would be more productive that way or something like that.  Is she a Republican now too?

46 minutes ago, pfife said:

I really like Cory Booker, I wish he was doing better.  He seems like a really good dude to me.

He is.