lordstanley

2019 NHL Draft Thread: June 21 (Rd 1) and June 22 (Rd 2-7)

I think it’s safe to say Stevie Y is going for defense. 

Just now, Jason_R said:

I think it’s safe to say Stevie Y is going for defense. 

It is almost as if he has identified the Wings' defense as being weak, lol. Will be interesting to see how things play out the next few years

A lot of 18 year olds walking around in suits in the concourses. Those with #19 jerseys over their suits are those just drafted. I am sure an interesting human interest/family story behind each one.

I will let you know if I overhear Yzerman and Dubas discussing potential trades in the restroom

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

It is almost as if he has identified the Wings' defense as being weak, lol. Will be interesting to see how things play out the next few years

Well, he played for, what, 15 years with one of the great defensemen ever to put on skates? 

Just for grins, I looked up the Wings’ record before and after Lidstrom. Before, it was 0.475; the year before that, 0.438. In Lidstrom’s first season, it was 0.613, and with Lidstrom on the roster they never finished worse than 0.567. 

Yes, there are a lot of other variables, so take it for what it’s worth. I’d love to see what Stevie has to say about his memories of playing without, then with, Lidstrom, and whether that factored into his decisions  

But it also reminds me that a top pairing defenseman is probably going to get several minutes more ice time per game than even your no. 1 center. Like Bob Quinn, who wants to use his top picks on three-down players, Stevie may see D as more valuable than forwards. 

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

Well, he played for, what, 15 years with one of the great defensemen ever to put on skates? 

Just for grins, I looked up the Wings’ record before and after Lidstrom. Before, it was 0.475; the year before that, 0.438. In Lidstrom’s first season, it was 0.613, and with Lidstrom on the roster they never finished worse than 0.567. 

Yes, there are a lot of other variables, so take it for what it’s worth. I’d love to see what Stevie has to say about his memories of playing without, then with, Lidstrom, and whether that factored into his decisions  

But it also reminds me that a top pairing defenseman is probably going to get several minutes more ice time per game than even your no. 1 center. Like Bob Quinn, who wants to use his top picks on three-down players, Stevie may see D as more valuable than forwards. 

Fine with me. We've asked for D, we're getting D.

• Thanks 1

So the Wings "reached" on a  couple but on Mastrosimone and Grewe picked up a couple who had fallen. Grewe is a winger who say he models his game after that of Brad Marchand.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

20190622_111637.thumb.jpg.ff8182093b9d1fe95fe389d453cadfc0.jpg

Another Swede to the Wings at #66, Albin Grewe

From what I've read about him I already love him.

Before I left, I briefly reunited with an old friend. When asked if the Cup has had any contact with T&P or the Leafs in my lifetime, Stanley just glared at me.

20190622_122718.jpg

• Like 5

Speaking of Albin Grewes:

"He is the highest in the food chain, a t-rex, eats everything and believes that everything is under him." -- Grewes's coach, Robert Ohlsson of Djurgardens IF

Yeah, I think we're gonna like this kid if he makes it to the big club.

It must be a Red Wings connection thing with falling in love with these defenseman because the Oilers reached for Broberg much to the delight of the Ducks who had Zegras fall into their laps. Broberg has a very enticing skillset with size and elite speed so we'll see.

Who knows? Maybe the Wings and Oilers will be the ones laughing down the road, good Dmen are probably the most valuable commodities in the NHL, can never have enough of them.  I don't know much about Seider but he looked really good, stood out big time, against men at the World Championship so trust in Stevie Y, maybe he's on to something.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

It must be a Red Wings connection thing with falling in love with these defenseman because the Oilers reached for Broberg much to the delight of the Ducks who had Zegras fall into their laps. Broberg has a very enticing skillset with size and elite speed so we'll see.

Who knows? Maybe the Wings and Oilers will be the ones laughing down the road, good Dmen are probably the most valuable commodities in the NHL, can never have enough of them.  I don't know much about Seider but he looked really good, stood out big time, against men at the World Championship so trust in Stevie Y, maybe he's on to something.

I understand the press evaluators bias toward forwards, they think in terms of bang for he buck in the shortest time frame and a Dman's profile isn't going to give you much to go on for that unless he happens to be a very high scoring and play making type. But the teams mostly know better.

There seems to be a bit of a logical disconnect re the Seider pick.  On the one hand, the consensus is that he was a fast rising prospect...a big, skilled RH dman who has great hockey sense and shows a little offensive potential thanks to a nice wrist shot.  That...to me...is the profile of a top 6 pick.   On the other hand...the pick has been called a reach...even though a number of dmen were taken right after him.

I don't get it....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

There seems to be a bit of a logical disconnect re the Seider pick.  On the one hand, the consensus is that he was a fast rising prospect...a big, skilled RH dman who has great hockey sense and shows a little offensive potential thanks to a nice wrist shot.  That...to me...is the profile of a top 6 pick.   On the other hand...the pick has been called a reach...even though a number of dmen were taken right after him.

I don't get it....

Look at who is calling it a reach.

2 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I don't get it....

I certainly understand the logic of the pick:

- Wings need defensemen

- High-end RHD are arguably the most valued asset around the league

- Consensus #1-ranked defenseman in the draft, Bowen Byram, would be gone before the Wings' had a chance in the #6 spot

- So go out and draft who you believe to be the 2nd best defenseman in the draft

- Entertain offers to move down in the draft a handful of spots, but if all if you're going to get is a 2nd or 3rd for that, and you would not be content with a Broberg or Soderstrom in the event that Seider was taken in the interim, then why risk it. There are easier ways to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd later in the draft 

So, fine. But ...

- Top 6 draft slots don't come around all the time. Can't really afford a miss in that case. I'm not sure Seider is a sure thing. Of course he COULD become a top pairing defenseman.

- We should "trust" Yzerman? Of course Yzerman is smarter than any of us. And of course I'm not basing my reaction to a pick in the slightest on a YouTube highlight reel. That would be like driving my doctor nuts by diagnosing myself via Google prior to my appointment. But draft rankings aren't plucked out of thin air by unqualified fans or scribes. There is input from scouts. So asking us to trust Yzerman is not asking to trust Yzerman more than some random dude on Twitter, it's asking us to trust Yzerman more than that of the other professionals who have contributed to rankings lists. That said, yes the pick could pan out so I'm not going to overreact either. Let's see how it plays out.

- Does picking Seider show that Yzerman has "balls of steel"? Meh. Using a high draft slot to pick a projected mid-1st rounder when in you're honeymoon period doesn't strike me as particularly "ballsy". Not like, say: a) addressing a need for a defenseman by acquiring Trouba for next year's 1st;  AND b) taking on Marleau as a cap dump and getting the Leafs' 2020 1st in exchange; AND c) staying put and drafting Zegras at #6; AND d) trading Veleno to the Canucks for the chance to pick Podzkolin at #10. Now would any or all of those 4 steps been the right ones? Don't know. Would all of those 4 steps been doable? Don't know. Just saying THAT is what I would have considered bold and a real break from the past, for good or for bad.

As it is, I'm going to neither trust nor distrust Yzerman, neither love nor hate this draft. Ask me in 2 years.

Excellent points...consider this though...Byram was not thought of that highly at the start of the year, many thought he was the top defenseman...some thought it was Broberg.  Byram upped his game over the year and became a consensus top five pick.

Seider was viewed even less highly...but had a great run internationally and at the combine.  I think had he begun his climb earlier and had done so in NA, he would have been ranked much more highly.

I definitely agree on one thing though...we will be in a far better position to judge in two years

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I wasn't aware Veleno could net the #10 pick

Jim Benning is a quirky dude.

Love the Grewe pick if he is over his head injury.  He seems skilled but you don't want him to stop being a pest/lose his edge.  Mastrosimone seems like a good value pick and I'm excited to see if Tyutayev becomes anything (guess he's this draft's Kivenmaki for me)

Another thing, a trade down would have been almost impossible, since Holland was picking #8.  I'm pretty sure Holland had a pretty good idea what Steve was thinking, and vice versa.  Especially if they had Seider rated so highly.