lordstanley

2019 NHL Draft Thread: June 21 (Rd 1) and June 22 (Rd 2-7)

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I’ve long embraced the awful.   Wings are 2010 pistons.   Haven’t even reached the Lawrence Frank years yet.  

21 minutes ago, holygoat said:

At least one guy had Seider at 5.

that's comforting - I think. Third Dman taken was Broberg at 8 (by he-who-shall-not-be-named), Seidel had him at 7. 

1 hour ago, T&P_Fan said:

I’ve long embraced the awful.   Wings are 2010 pistons.   Haven’t even reached the Lawrence Frank years yet.  

The Wings and Pistons are in different places. The Wings have good young talent in the majors and minors...the Pistons are mired in mediocrity with no hope in sight. 

I have a copy of "the nhl draft: how i learned to stop worrying and trust steve yzerman" if anyone needs to borrow it.

its right next to my copy of "the nfl draft: how i learned to stop worrying and trust martin mayhew."

that one is now out of print.

Look at the amount of talent on Tampa Bay's roster.   Yeah, I know they haven't won the Cup, but those great Red Wing teams of the 90s didn't win for awhile either.    Yzerman built that team,  I trust him here. 

I think one of the moves that always impressed me with Yzerman is his willingness to trade the most popular player in Lightning history because he was grousing about his contract.  Shrewd move.  Fearless move.   We've needed that here for awhile now.   

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Look at the amount of talent on Tampa Bay's roster.   Yeah, I know they haven't won the Cup, but those great Red Wing teams of the 90s didn't win for awhile either.    Yzerman built that team,  I trust him here. 

I think one of the moves that always impressed me with Yzerman is his willingness to trade the most popular player in Lightning history because he was grousing about his contract.  Shrewd move.  Fearless move.   We've needed that here for awhile now.   

Yeah, that was an alpha male decision. Stark contrast with Ken Holland, who would dole out long term extensions to anyone and everyone. 

Drafting Seider was a ballsy decision, too. (But Stevie was not the only one who thought Seider was worthy of being a top pick.)

Maybe it will blow up in Stevie’s face, but one should not underestimate The Captain  

Anyway, I’d like to know how many games Stevie’s critics saw of Seider, or the players they would rather that the Wings selected. 

OK, I'm rested, hydrated, and ready for Round 2-7. I'll drop by arena for the 2nd round at least.

12 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Enjoy cap h***

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

To me the character that makes Yzerman is not his alpha maleness, whatever of that he has he hides well, it's more what in the old days they called being a hard man. That didn't necessarily mean bad or nasty - it referred more to something like that old Yankee or Western clarity and lack of sentimentality - a person that was hard to distract or put off track. It's was a big part of what made him the player he was, and it seems to have carried over to his 'civilian' life.

It will be interesting, given where I live, to follow the progress of the respective 1st round draft picks of the Canucks and Red Wings of the past two years.

Wings drafted #6 and #6, the Canucks drafted #7 and #10.

Wings got D Seider and LW Zadina. Canucks got D Hughes and RW Podzkolin.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Anyway, I’d like to know how many games Stevie’s critics saw of Seider, or the players they would rather that the Wings selected. 

It's hard to believe Yzerman would make a pick on whim, doesn't seem like his style at all - you have to believe they scouted Seider thoroughly. And if they did, then a big RH shot Dman is a great thing to have (Vladdie on cup I. Murph and Chelios/cups in Det and the HOF). When a guy does what the pack does not expect, there are two possibilities - he is either dumber than the pack or smarter than the pack. If you picked a guy who is going to build that winner, you better hope he is smarter, so in that sense we should expect the unexpected now and then. 

Which Yzerman turns out to be will show in time, but either way I don't take the unexpected as necessarily a bad thing.

Did some reading this morning. A lot of teams went off the consensus board for defense. There are a ton of decent forwards in the second round.

Toronto trades Marleau with a first rounder to Carolina in a salary dump.

Pk subban has been traded to New Jersey

Santini, Davies and two seconds to NASH from New Jersey for subban 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

It will be interesting, given where I live, to follow the progress of the respective 1st round draft picks of the Canucks and Red Wings of the past two years.

Wings drafted #6 and #6, the Canucks drafted #7 and #10.

Wings got D Seider and LW Zadina. Canucks got D Hughes and RW Podzkolin.

I will enjoy reading your updates about this!

52 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

When a guy does what the pack does not expect, there are two possibilities - he is either dumber than the pack or smarter than the pack.

Yes. And we should also keep in mind that, in the age where we have ten mock drafts before the actual draft, the “pack” is mostly made up of ink-stained wretches who haven’t scouted these players, and who don’t really have the knowledge to do so. It becomes an echo chamber.

Kind of like the Lions picking Tavai. He plays in Hawaii, and missed the Senior Bowl, so the “pack” never heard of him. We will see if our GMs are smarter or dumber than the pack. 

Not sure whether we will get a chance to boo Bettman or whether that is just a Day 1 thing

Robert Mastrosimone from US Development at #54. These 2md round names will be fun for the Kens to say.