CMRivdog

Expos, Rays, Snowbirds

I would rather they get their own team, but anything that brings baseball back to Montreal is a good thing.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27016429/rays-explore-splitting-games-montreal

The Tampa Bay Rays have received permission from Major League Baseball's executive council to explore a plan in which they would play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and the remainder of the year in Montreal, commissioner Rob Manfred said Thursday.

While the plan is in its nascent stages, the Rays have embraced the two-city solution as the most feasible to saving baseball in the Tampa Bay area after years of failed attempts to build a new stadium in the region, sources said.

Under the plan, the Rays would play in new stadiums in both the Tampa Bay area and Montreal, sources said. The number of home games each city would receive has not been determined, sources said.

Manfred referred to the idea of a two-city Rays team as a long-term project.

The ability to play games early in the season in Florida would preclude the need for a domed stadium, cutting the cost of a new building.

The return of baseball to Montreal, which lost the Expos when they moved to Washington and became the Nationals before the 2005 season, has long been speculated and has significant support among power brokers in the city, including Stephen Bronfman, the private-equity magnate whose father, Charles, was the Expos' original owner.

A month ago, Bronfman -- who along with Montreal businessman Mitch Garber has expressed interest in taking a minority stake in the Rays, alongside owner Stuart Sternberg -- reached an agreement with a developer on a site in Montreal's Pointe-Saint-Charles neighborhood to potentially build a new stadium.

"My priority remains the same, I am committed to keeping baseball in Tampa Bay for generations to come," Sternberg said via statement. "I believe this concept is worthy of serious exploration."

Significant hurdles remain for the plan to take root, sources said. Though two cities sharing a team isn't entirely novel -- the Expos played 22 home games in Puerto Rico in 2003, and Kansas City, Missouri, and Omaha, Nebraska, split home games with the NBA's Kings in the 1970s -- the viability of long-term success remains in question.

MLB's executive council, which includes Sternberg, nevertheless gave the Rays permission to explore the possibility during owners meetings Wednesday and Thursday.

For more than a decade, the Rays have sought to build a new stadium in Tampa or St. Petersburg, Florida, where they currently play at Tropicana Field. Their lease runs through 2027, and a Tampa Bay-Montreal dual-city plan would necessitate finding a stadium site in Florida as well. The timetable for any potential move likely depends on whether the Rays can strike a deal in the Tampa Bay area for a new stadium, sources said.

The Rays' average attendance of 14,546 is the second lowest in the majors despite a 43-31 record. Their Opening Day payroll of around $65 million was among the lowest in baseball. Among the difficulty in securing a new stadium, a paucity of local revenue and a poor local-television deal, the Rays have been seen by other cities as a target for relocation -- a possibility should the Tampa Bay-Montreal plan fail.

A deal with Montreal would keep the Rays in Florida while potentially adding significant revenues to the franchise. Montreal offers a robust corporate base for sponsorships and a fervent fan base that could support what would amount to a half-season ticket plan. Other teams could object to the Rays occupying two geographical territories, though the support of the executive council to explore the possibility, sources said, constituted a significant step forward.

It is too early in the process, sources said, to answer such questions as what the name of the team would be or where playoff games would be held.

I don't see it as a long term viable option.

I kind of wonder if MLB is behind this and expansion is the real desire behind the idea.  I don't think it would make much sense, I don't know that the tactics make sense.  But I wonder if MLB is going to try get Montreal ready for MLB (which I think is possible) and Tampa to save MLB (which I don't know is possible even with a new ball yard)?  Obviously Oakland's stadium issue needs to be settled, but once they get to a 31st team, they'll figure out a way to get to a 32nd team.

Interesting.  I am pleased that at least one city has decided that a publicly financed billion dollar stadium isn't necessarily the best use of tax payer funds.

If we can have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, we can certainly have the Tampa Bay Montreal Expos Rays... Or the Tamp-Mon Ex-Rays for short...

The Florida Panthers of Quebec City.  Play NHL hockey in Quebec City in October, March and April.  Play in Miami when the snowbirds are down there November-February.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27016429/rays-explore-splitting-games-montreal

I don't see it as a long term viable option.

I kind of wonder if MLB is behind this and expansion is the real desire behind the idea.  I don't think it would make much sense, I don't know that the tactics make sense.  But I wonder if MLB is going to try get Montreal ready for MLB (which I think is possible) and Tampa to save MLB (which I don't know is possible even with a new ball yard)?  Obviously Oakland's stadium issue needs to be settled, but once they get to a 31st team, they'll figure out a way to get to a 32nd team.

Instead of one city that doesn't turn out or tune in for baseball, they'll have two.  Doubling the lack of support for the franchise  doesn't strike me as a sound business plan.

Montreal did not tune out baseball.  The owner wanted to get out of there and he made no effort to keep fans interested.  They even stopped broadcasting games.   Plus, MLB wanted a team in DC, so they helped sabotage the Montreal product. Montreal did really well when the original owner allowed it to.  

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

And Olympic Stadium was a horrible place to watch a game.

As far as I know, Montreal hasn't built a new stadium so where would this team play? Olympic Stadium hasn't gotten better in the last 16 years. It may even be worse than Tropicana Field. The Rays could literally be playing in two of the three worst stadiums in baseball. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

As far as I know, Montreal hasn't built a new stadium so where would this team play? Olympic Stadium hasn't gotten better in the last 16 years. It may even be worse than Tropicana Field. The Rays could literally be playing in two of the three worst stadiums in baseball. 

There has been talk for awhile about Montreal building a new ballpark if a team was assured. In Canada much taxpayer funding for a stadium or arena is rare. But this is Quebec so all bets are off - I'm sure the feds could find a way to slap a tax on all Canadians including those of us a few thousand miles away. All in the name of "national unity".  Blech.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

And Olympic Stadium was a horrible place to watch a game.

True, but even that stadium filled up when things were going well.

15 hours ago, lordstanley said:

- I'm sure the feds could find a way to slap a tax on all Canadians including those of us a few thousand miles away. All in the name of "national unity".  Blech.

LOL - way back in the day I was doing a lot of work with guys from the NRCC - which is of course in Ottawa. It was mostly energy sector research and it PO'd the westerners enough that they got their own research council started in Alberta - doing the same stuff of course!

6 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

The same division as the Jays? That's interesting.

In the American League.

Billionaire thoughts: If I cannot get one city to build me a stadium for 81 homes games, maybe I can get 2 cities to build me stadiums for 40 home games!

This potential arrangement doesn’t seem that difficult to incorporate to me. Teams already set up shop in Florida for spring training. They build new stadiums for minor league teams. Building a new stadium for the team to use for 6-8 weeks in April and May would allow them to do so a bit on the cheap. And they are never going to draw all that well, so it doesn’t have to have a lot of seating. You could probably make do without an upper deck. 

Plus, by doing so, you open the door for advertising opportunities from two cities. 

If this team makes the playoff, where do they play the playoff games? Is Montreal going to invest in a part time stadium?

On 6/20/2019 at 5:11 PM, tiger337 said:

Montreal did not tune out baseball.  The owner wanted to get out of there and he made no effort to keep fans interested.  They even stopped broadcasting games.   Plus, MLB wanted a team in DC, so they helped sabotage the Montreal product. Montreal did really well when the original owner allowed it to.  

A - Olympic Stadium was terrible

B - Just as they had their best team ever, a World Series level team the players ent on strike (and baseball there never really had a chance to recover

C - The owner was a corrupt *******

Few fan bases have been screwed over worse than Montreal fans.  They didn't deserve it, they loved baseball.