Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Pistons trade for Tony Snell

There is a lot riding on what this new management team can do with first round picks. Bruce Brown was decent value in the 2nd last year. Hopefully they take projectable guy at 15 and maybe a Euro draft and stash at 30.

Tony Snell in the 2017 NBA Playoffs:

6 GP
30.8 MPG
10 PPG on a 50/51 split
2.3 RPG
1.5 APG

Calling that "trash" and acting as if he is of no value to a NBA team is just denying what is in front of your eyes. He is a career 36% 3PT shooter, and can hit open shots and play decent defense. Is he lighting the world on fire? No. Will he be someone the defense has to spend time planning for? No. But can he be of value to a team that desparately needs competent wings? Absolutely. He is big & strong, has a good shot profile (shoots open 3s and shoots at the rim) and has the ability to defend multiple positions with a base level of competency. He doesn't try to do too much, which is important when you are playing with other guys who should have the ball (Blake, Reggie, Luke). 

And when you factor in the 30th pick, this is a no brainer. There is all this talk about how the Pistons suck because there is no future, but when we get the 30th pick the response is "well, its basically a 2nd rounder and they suck at drafting anyway". 

Bottom line is this team has two 1st round draft picks & a 2nd round draft pick now. That gives you the potential to move around in the draft to target guys you like. Or it allows you to do something like move a Galloway expiring + the 30th & 2nd rounder for a player. You have options here you didn't have with Leuer. 

32 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Two ****ty draft picks are the next move.  Just guessing.

Based on what? SVG's draft record? 

This front office hasn't had a 1st round draft selection. 

19 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Based on what? SVG's draft record? 

This front office hasn't had a 1st round draft selection. 

Well, based on Stefanski's past draft record. 

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Well, based on Stefanski's past draft record. 

His last 1st round draft pick was in 2010, and he had a completely different scouting team and front office around him. Using decade old draft results to predict what will happen today isn't exactly the best idea. 

12 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

His last 1st round draft pick was in 2010, and he had a completely different scouting team and front office around him. Using decade old draft results to predict what will happen today isn't exactly the best idea. 

Probably still better than the pipe dream he suddenly figured things out.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

Probably still better than the pipe dream he suddenly figured things out.

Calling it a "pipe dream" to say he can make a good draft pick shows how negative and biased you are. 

What would be a good draft pick tonight, in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Calling it a "pipe dream" to say he can make a good draft pick shows how negative and biased you are. 

What would be a good draft pick tonight, in your opinion?

Or I'm realistic and going off a mans track record at two previous jobs.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

Or I'm realistic and going off a mans track record at two previous jobs.  

So what would be a good pick tonight? 

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

So what would be a good pick tonight? 

I have no clue.  I couldn't name 4 guys even in the draft, I don't follow college basketball.  

Also, this is his draft record. How does what you see below indicate to you that he can't draft? He had a bunch of non-lottery picks and hit on a few (Speights & Holiday). The Turner pick was bad, but he was the consensus #2 at the time. This isn't the draft record of someone you can really blast. 

Antoine Wright - 15th pick 

Marcus Williams – 22nd pick

Josh Boone – 23rd pick

Sean Williams - 17th pick

Mo Speights – 16th pick

Jrue Holiday – 17th pick

Evan Turner – 2nd pick

Yikes. That's a horrendous draft record outside of Holiday. I wish I hadn't read that

• Like 1

If the Pistons get a decent bench guy from this draft, it will be a success.  The bar is low.

10 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Yikes. That's a horrendous draft record outside of Holiday. I wish I hadn't read that

LOL, do yourself a favor and read the draft record of guys who draft in the late teens and 20s. They are almost all like that. Speights & Holiday were good picks. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

its a fine trade for both teams.  milwaukee gets cap space, pistons get a wing shooter and a lottery ticket at #30.

lets see if they can cash it in.

It's too much to ask for a Draymond like hit at #30 but a similar stroke of luck is what this team needs.  I'm fine with them getting more chances to get lucky, especially considering the price.

Just now, LooseGoose said:

It's too much to ask for a Draymond like hit at #30 but a similar stroke of luck is what this team needs.  I'm fine with them getting more chances to get lucky, especially considering the price.

Draymond also had the system, surrounding talent, coaches, and front office to flourish.  I don't believe he would have thrived if the Pistons would have drafted him.

13 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

LOL, do yourself a favor and read the draft record of guys who draft in the late teens and 20s. They are almost all like that. Speights & Holiday were good picks. 

It's a poor draft record no matter how you spin it. Holiday is the lone pick who outplayed his draft position.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The bar is also low because a bench guy is usually all you get with such a pick.

Likely but it's a lottery ticket essentially, a lottery ticket for taking on one year of overpaid contract. For a team that has a barren pipeline, they can use all the lottery tickets they can get. Rely on good drafting and hope for a diamond in the rough or use the pick as trade bait to get a better pick or bring in a helpful roster player. Simply keeping Leuer did nothing for them. It's a low bar to set but the Pistons need all the help they can get.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

It's a poor draft record no matter how you spin it. Holiday is the lone pick who outplayed his draft position.

It is the average outcome of drafting guys at that position.

Jrue was a great pick.

Speights was a solid pick.

Turner was a bad pick.

The rest were just about what you'd expect from their draft positions. 

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Likely but it's a lottery ticket essentially, a lottery ticket for taking on one year of overpaid contract. For a team that has a barren pipeline, they can use all the lottery tickets they can get. Rely on good drafting and hope for a diamond in the rough or use the pick as trade bait to get a better pick or bring in a helpful roster player. Simply keeping Leuer did nothing for them.

Understood.  Just commenting on the 'bar is low' statement.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Understood.  Just commenting on the 'bar is low' statement.

Touche

most gms draft record is going to look terrible in hindsight.

Holliday was a major hit.  getting a very good player at #17 is really good (or really lucky).

7 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

It is the average outcome of drafting guys at that position.

Jrue was a great pick.

Speights was a solid pick.

Turner was a bad pick.

The rest were just about what you'd expect from their draft positions. 

I'm probably being too harsh and the Turner draft was a really poor one for the most part so it's hard to fault him too much for that miss.

45 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Draymond also had the system, surrounding talent, coaches, and front office to flourish.  I don't believe he would have thrived if the Pistons would have drafted him.

Likely true.   Having Curry supporting him helped establish him on that team, whether that would have happened here is pretty questionable.