Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Pistons trade for Tony Snell

Milwaukee will actually make the pick for Detroit and this deal will happen after.  I think it actually has to wait until July.

On one hand, getting a first for Leuer was a neat trick, even its basically a useless pick at #30.  You could argue 31 is more valuable since you don't have to give 31 a guaranteed contract like you do to #30.

On the other hand.  Tony ******* Snell?  He might have the lowest basketball IQ in the league.  There's a reason why a career 38% shooter from three has never averaged double digits in scoring.

The other problem, he probably exercises his player option next year for $12.1M.  There goes waiting till Reggie and Leuer are gone to make moves.

Not terrible, not good.  Sort of like the Pistons.

Serious question.  Do any two teams make more trades together than the Pistons and Bucks?

cap space is useless for an org like Detroit. So getting a possibly useful piece and a draft pick for a useless salary in Leuer is incremental improvement. They are already shedding Jackson, Galloway, and probably Drummond(opt-out) next year anyway.

The only downside to this trade is the 2nd year on Snell's contract which is a fairly significant downside but otherwise seems like a good move. They traded a player who they weren't going to use for an athletic wing who can shoot (I know he has flaws) and a pick to add a much needed prospect or use as a trade chip to move up. I'm ok with this.

Bucks twitter is pretty upset about the move fwiw.

It’s amazing that deep bench guys like Leuer and Snell are making this much per year and nobody bats an eye.  NBA money has gotten completely insane.   Normally, I’d question if this business model is sustainable.  Since fans seem to have no issue paying hundreds more for tickets and jerseys than they did just a few years ago, the league and PU can just keeping upping the passing the bill back on them.  

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

And a shrug from Del. On balance, we come out ahead. 

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

I have been all over Bucks forums, they love it.  

After taking care of Middleton and Brogdon they werent going to have money for Lopez.  This move just created $12M in cap space for them to keep Lopez.  All for the price of the 30th pick.  It was a brilliant move for them.

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s amazing that deep bench guys like Leuer and Snell are making this much per year and nobody bats an eye.  NBA money has gotten completely insane.   Normally, I’d question if this business model is sustainable.  Since fans seem to have no issue paying hundreds more for tickets and jerseys than they did just a few years ago, the league and PU can just keeping upping the passing the bill back on them.  

Neither one will make even 10% of the cap this year.  Small roster size makes the salary look huge, but it isn't that bad.

Leuer was nothing more than an expiring contract.

Snell is a 27 year old player in his prime who plays our greatest position of need & has the ability to  hit open shots/play passable defense. He also has playoff experience and performed well in his most significant playing time in the playoffs.

Oh, and we get the 30th overall pick, which gives the team flexibility in the draft and another cheap asset.

I would call this is a win.

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I have been all over Bucks forums, they love it.  

After taking care of Middleton and Brogdon they werent going to have money for Lopez.  This move just created $12M in cap space for them to keep Lopez.  All for the price of the 30th pick.  It was a brilliant move for them.

Yeah, I don't get how any Bucks fan could hate this. This was the exact type of move they needed to make to free up money, the 30th pick is nothing to them.  It's a win win trade.

Pistons had no wings and added a potentially useful piece + a draft pick for a toxic/useless asset. If you stipulate that they don't want to tank for another year or two it's a defensible move.

Meh.  Snell is trash, and the 30th overall pick is essentially a 2nd rounder with a guaranteed contract.  He's been regressing since he signed the deal that gives him a player option for $12M(!?!?!) next year.  I would have preferred to hold out on Leuer's expiring contract for another deal or for the extra cap space next season.

Snell isn't "trash". He is a fine rotation piece who plays the position we had no help in. 

The 30th pick is valuable in that we get a cheap asset and/or can flip it for something else pretty easily. 

Snell could be trash on a team with Brogdon and Middleton...on the Pistons he isn't.

3 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Snell isn't "trash". He is a fine rotation piece who plays the position we had no help in. 

The 30th pick is valuable in that we get a cheap asset and/or can flip it for something else pretty easily. 

I can give or take Snell.  He fills a spot that was empty.  I'm not enamored that with the extra contract year.  But I'll take the draft pick and hope they can make something of it.

The other aspect to this is that we don't know (but you kind of alluded to) what other moves might be coming down the road.

Just now, Casimir said:

I can give or take Snell.  He fills a spot that was empty.  I'm not enamored that with the extra contract year.  But I'll take the draft pick and hope they can make something of it.

The other aspect to this is that we don't know (but you kind of alluded to) what other moves might be coming down the road.

Two ****ty draft picks are the next move.  Just guessing.

Just now, Deleterious said:

Two ****ty draft picks are the next move.  Just guessing.

It could be worse.  It could be a Reggie Jackson extension.

Here is what Snell is.  

A guy who has a chance to be an elite catch and shoot type player.  Someone who creates absolutely zero for himself or anyone else on the floor.  A guy who plays the wing that has no handles, wont penetrate, and wont break down any defenses.  He is incredibly stupid on the basketball court, very low basketball IQ that will give Casey an ulcer or two.  OK individual defender that isn't so hot in team defense, misses his rotations, late to help, etc.  

He is an absolute upgrade for Detroit, which is great.  But they don't have another SF on the roster, so that isn't saying much.

In other words, one team's trash is another team's treasure.

its a fine trade for both teams.  milwaukee gets cap space, pistons get a wing shooter and a lottery ticket at #30.

lets see if they can cash it in.

2 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

In other words, one team's trash is another team's treasure.

Exactly.  

If Snell is on your kids U15 AAU team, he is awesome.  On your NBA team?  Not so much.