chasfh

What Will Become of Nicholas Castellanos?

How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How will the Tigers deal with Nicholas Castellanos?

• Trade him.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will accept.
    • Tender him a Qualifying Offer after the season, which he will decline.
    • Extend him for multiple seasons.
    • Non-tender him after the season (aka let him walk).
    • Other. (Explain in comments.)
  2. 2. Suppose Castellanos is tendered a qualifying offer after the season and he declines it? Then what?

• Will be re-signed afterward by the Tigers.
    • Will be signed by another team before the 2020 draft.
    • Will be signed by another team after the 2020 draft.
  3. 3. If the Tigers do trade Castellanos, what kind of return will they get, based on what you think a player of his level should get?

• Return equal to expectations.
    • Higher return than expected.
    • Lower return than expected.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2019 at 04:59 AM

Nick's heating up:

Last month: 316/419/494

Last two weeks: 412/524/647

It's almost like he's actually a good hitter and was just going through a slump.  Hmmm...

26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Nick's heating up:

It's almost like he's actually a good hitter and was just going through a slump.  Hmmm...

Or, in spite of hitting well for the last month, he is still on pace for .277, 17 HR and 56 RBI.

Nick's a good hitter...is he a good enough hitter to overcome his awful defense?  That's always been the issue...find a spot to play him where his glove subtracts the least from his bat.

"Hey Nick...you see this strange looking glove...it's called a 1st baseman's mitt... try it on"

40 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Or, in spite of hitting well for the last month, he is still on pace for .277, 17 HR and 56 RBI.

Huh-uh. You're likely projecting his overall stats and not his accellerated stats of the last few weeks.

5 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Huh-uh. You're likely projecting his overall stats and not his accellerated stats of the last few weeks.

Do you have another/better way to forecast?  300 AB’s is a pretty good sample size.

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Do you have another/better way to forecast?  300 AB’s is a pretty good sample size.

Yeah. The five seasons or whatever's he's played plus the recent strong uptick would lead me to project (at least slightly) higher stats for the second half.

It's too late now and this would seem like a crazy idea but looking at Nick's advanced stats the Tigers might have been wise to try him in centerfield to maximize his value.  His sprint speed is the fastest on the team as is home plate to first.  Overall his sprint speed is well within the upper echelon in the majors....but his outfield jump time is one of the worst.   He can't read a flyball and takes a terrible first step because of it.  While it's easier to read a flyball from the corners he's so bad that I don't think he could get any worse in center.    The Rangers did this with Gallo, they found that it made no difference whether he played center or the corners so they put him in center.  

4 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Yeah. The five seasons or whatever's he's played plus the recent strong uptick would lead me to project (at least slightly) higher stats for the second half.

I’m not arguing that he should him improve upon his current season projection.  However, with his defensive limitations, it doesn’t really make him look that desirable to other teams, especially when you factor in his salary.

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's too late now and this would seem like a crazy idea but looking at Nick's advanced stats the Tigers might have been wise to try him in centerfield to maximize his value.  His sprint speed is the fastest on the team as is home plate to first.  Overall his sprint speed is well within the upper echelon in the majors....but his outfield jump time is one of the worst.   He can't read a flyball and takes a terrible first step because of it.  While it's easier to read a flyball from the corners he's so bad that I don't think he could get any worse in center.    The Rangers did this with Gallo, they found that it made no difference whether he played center or the corners so they put him in center.  

this is actually in interesting idea, the question is whether it can work at CoPa because of the greater depth behind the CF. That extra depth compared to a place like Globe park means being able to turn your back on the ball and go straight back, which  is a skill that isn't that common  even at the pro level - is more important for a Tiger CF.  I''m not going to say  cross my heart that Nick can't do that, but I have never seen him do it. The alternative for a CF with less ability to go back is to play deeper, but then that is big boost to opposing BAs. Back in the day (e.g. 68 Tigers) it was pretty common for OF to move around a lot game to game. I would have said it would have been no issue to have a guy play CF mostly on the road and RF at home. But too many players seem too fragile for that kind of scheme today.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

so now were back to traditional stats to measure a player?

put him in a bandbox and his home runs will increase.  put some actual runners on base and his rbis will increase as well.  nick can hit.  

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so now were back to traditional stats to measure a player?

put him in a bandbox and his home runs will increase.  put some actual runners on base and his rbis will increase as well.  nick can hit.  

Can’t everyone hit more HR’s playing in a “bandbox?”  Agree that his RBI’s are hindered by the hitters in front of him.

No one would disagree that he can hit.  The question is whether or not he can hit enough for a team to believe he would upgrade their current RF options to give up a player(s) of value and take on his remaining contract and accept his defensive limitations (which have improved)?

Time will tell.

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

Nick's heating up:

Nick's BABIP in last month: .359. Possibly sustainable.

Nick's BABIP in last two weeks: .448. Definitely not sustainable.

I could see him ending up around .290/.350/.500, with an OPS+ in the low 120s. That's pretty good. The $64 question is, is it worth risking a near $20MM qualifying offer to a pretty good hitter?

Just now, chasfh said:

I could see him ending up around .290/.350/.500, with an OPS+ in the low 120s. That's pretty good. The $64 question is, is it worth risking a qualifying offer?

Actually, it’s approximately an $18.5MM question.

And the answer is no.

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Can’t everyone hit more HR’s playing in a “bandbox?”  Agree that his RBI’s are hindered by the hitters in front of him.

No one would disagree that he can hit.  The question is whether or not he can hit enough for a team to believe he would upgrade their current RF options to give up a player(s) of value and take on his remaining contract and accept his defensive limitations (which have improved)?

Time will tell.

I think the only way Nick moves in the next month is Avila accepts a human bag of balls because he doesn't want to risk getting nothing after the season.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the only way Nick moves in the next month is Avila accepts a human bag of balls because he doesn't want to risk getting nothing after the season.

A human bag of balls and a few $$ is better than nothing.

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

A human bag of balls and a few $$ is better than nothing.

A few $$ meaning salary relief? That may or may not be included.

I agree it's better than nothing, of course. Something is always better than nothing. The question is whether Avila will calculate this thing right.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

A few $$ meaning salary relief? That may or may not be included.

I agree it's better than nothing, of course. Something is always better than nothing. The question is whether Avila will calculate this thing right.

Right.   They would trade him for nothing and no salary relief because Avila's stupid.   fire Avila.

Just now, LooseGoose said:

Right.   They would trade him for nothing and no salary relief because Avila's stupid.   fire Avila.

Says who?

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Says who?

You from your prior posts.   I guess you should send a note to Avila letting him know that in deadline trades you either get a prospect or a salary relief.   You seem to be implying that he's unaware of that.   That he would get a "human bag of balls" and no salary relief.   

10 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

You from your prior posts.   I guess you should send a note to Avila letting him know that in deadline trades you either get a prospect or a salary relief.   You seem to be implying that he's unaware of that.   That he would get a "human bag of balls" and no salary relief.   

I said nothing more than Nick would be moved in July only if Avila were willing to accept poor return. Is that incorrect?

I wouldn't be oppose tendering him.  Admittedly I am extremely stubborn on Nick, I think I've been predicting him having a monster offensive season for like 4 years now but even despite that I don't think it's the worst idea.   He's not really blocking anybody, we need offense and he's still only 27.    Worst case scenario by tendering him is that we're out 18 million, he doesn't get any better and we lose out on a couple FA flyers by spending the money on him.  

With that said I think the chances of them doing that are slim to none.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I said nothing more than Nick would be moved in July only if Avila were willing to accept poor return. Is that incorrect?

You then seemed to have doubt they would get salary relief, but I guess you didn't mean it.   Whatever, carry on.

55 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I could see him ending up around .290/.350/.500, with an OPS+ in the low 120s. That's pretty good. The $64 question is, is it worth risking a near $20MM qualifying offer to a pretty good hitter?

That's where I expect him to end up because it's in line with his previous seasons.  That's the type of hitter he is.  Like you said, that's pretty good.

Do you give up a pretty good hitter for the Justin Upton special?  Probably.  

Maybe they get a little more if someone on a contender gets injured.  

49 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

You then seemed to have doubt they would get salary relief, but I guess you didn't mean it.   Whatever, carry on.

Will do. And you carry on pretending to read minds. 

38 minutes ago, Buddha said:

That's where I expect him to end up because it's in line with his previous seasons.  That's the type of hitter he is.  Like you said, that's pretty good.

Do you give up a pretty good hitter for the Justin Upton special?  Probably.  

Maybe they get a little more if someone on a contender gets injured.  

We can only hope.